Home Sports Talk
Options

2010 Baseball Veterans Committee HoF ballot results: former GM Pat Gillick inducted

Looks a lot different from the deadlock ballots we've seen in years past.

Vida Blue (p)
Dave Concepcion (ss)
Steve Garvey (1b)
Ron Guidry (p)
Tommy John (p)
Al Oliver (of/1b)
Ted Simmons (c)
Rusty Staub (of)
Billy Martin (mgr)
Pat Gillick
Marvin Miller
George Steinbrenner

The guys doing the voting are:
HoF Players:
Johnny Bench
Whitey Herzog
Eddie Murray
Jim Palmer
Tony Perez
Frank Robinson
Ryne Sandberg
Ozzie Smith
Executives:
Bill Giles (Phillies)
David Glass (Royals)
Andy MacPhail (Orioles)
Jerry Reinsdorf (White Sox)
Media:
Bob Elliott (Toronto Sun)
Tim Kurkjian (ESPN)
Ross Newhan (retired, Los Angeles Times)
Tom Verducci (Sports Illustrated)

12 votes are needed for a guy to get into the HoF from this list.
My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25

Comments

• Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    Simba!

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    I saw this the other day. My vote goes to Marvin Miller. How do they keep him out? He had a huge impact on the game. He will get zero votes from the execs, so he needs all 12 of the other votes. Among the players, only Simmons, John, and Guidry have a case. I assume George will get in at some point.
  • Options
    I agree, Simmons, Guidry, and John have the only cases among players.

It will be a name that goes in though, and my guess is that Billy Martin will make it.
    Are you sure about that five minutes!?
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Being a biased Dodger fan of the 70's I vote for Garvey! He was THE MAN!
  • Options
    Lets go Tommy John...(that would make me a few dollars likely....:^)
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Nice 71 simmons.

I like simmons and John's chances.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Simmons is not just good enough, he is actually better than MOST of the catchers in the HOF.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    Baseball Veterans Committee will sadly be the only way that Dale Murphy will ever get inducted.

What is the criteria for being on this voting list?
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • Options
    Players have to have been retired for 21 seasons.
    This is the "Expansion era" Veterans Committee ballot, which contains players who played the majority of their careers after 1972.
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>What is the criteria for being on this voting list? >>

The Veterans Committee has been split into 3 different groups to cover the 3 "eras" MLB has decided on:

Pre-Integration era (1871-1946)
    Golden era (1947-72)
    Expansion era (1973-89)

They'll rotate through these groups each year, so next year they'll put together a ballot of "Pre-Integration era" players.

A group of veterans sports writers came up with the list of nominees, possibly through the reading of tea leaves and the casting of bones.

• Options
    If Steve Garvey somehow gets in (Not impossible - there are a lot of players in the HOF worse than Garvey), Keith Hernandez should start writing his acceptance speech for when the next Veteran's Committee for post 1972 players rolls around.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    If Garvey makes it, Hernandez has to make it and then you can also make a case for Don Mattingly if he is not inducted by the Baseball Writers.

Most who saw Garvey play in the 70s would agree that he is a HOFer.

NAME, CAREER OPS+, SEASONS LED MLB IN OPS+

Mark McGwire 162, 4
    Frank Thomas 156, 3
    Jeff Bagwell 149, 1
    Will Clark 137
    Fred McGriff 134, 1

Rafael Palmeiro 132
    Eddie Murray 129, ?
    Keith Hernandez 128
    John Olerud 128, 1
    Jim Rice 128, 1
    Don Mattingly 127, 2

Cecil Cooper 121
    Cecil Fielder 118
    Wally Joyner 117
    Steve Garvey 116
    Tino Martinez 112
    JT Snow 105

OPS+ is a superior stat to use for comparisions because it takes into account so many offensive stats plus equalizing for ball park factor so that no player gets to enjoy the advantage of playing in a hitter friendly ball park. I believe the era played in cannot really be accounted for. So, comparing two players in different eras is problematic. Garvey and Hernandez covered almost the same era and we see that Hernandez was the bigger hitter. Jim Rice played around the same time period and he is already in (same OPS+ as Hernandez). I believe the 70s era had more anemic OPS+, while in the 80s it was slightly elevated and in the 90s it just took off.

All I did with the list of first basemen is simply selected any one that played over ten years full time. Its not a complete list, but one gets the idea of who among some solid first baseman is better than the other. The players at the top have the loftiest numbers, but they also correspond to the live ball era. Cecil Cooper was also a solid first baseman and his numbers are above Garvey's. He played in a small market team, so maybe that limited his notoriety.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Putting the numbers aside Garvey was (past tense) class act, feared around the league, great glove, produced during the season and produced during the post season. Similar to Mattingly one or two more good years would have gotten him in the HOF.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm pretty comfortable with no across the board. >>

Incorrect answer.
    Simba for president.
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Pat Gillick got inducted.

I don't know much about him, but apparently he was a great GM, or something.

• Options
    I think Simmons SHOULD be inducted .....

after all....his childhood hero? AL KALINE!

Tony
    KalineFan
  • Options
    Ted Simmons deserves a spot.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steinbrenner NOT in! image
  • Options
    Gene Simmons should be in the Rock and Roll HOF too.
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Steinbrenner NOT in! image >>

I know, ain't it great?! There really IS a Santa Claus!