Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

A big thank you to Steve Heller!

I wanted to publicly thank Steve Heller for the opportunity to acquire some of his finest SMS coins.

Steve and I became friends over the past few years as we searched for high-end SMS coins. When I got the call that he was thinking of retiring his set and wanted to know if there were any coins of interest, I jumped at the chance!

With Steve's help, my set has now moved into the number one spot in the registry and is tied with Steve's all-time finest set.

Thanks again Steve, I appreciate all you've done for me!

Mark
I'm here to learn a little something...
Mark's Mattes
Mark's Cameo SMS Set
Mark's Non-Cameo SMS Set

Comments

• Options
    The '65 cent is huge! image
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    What a fun series, short and sweet, and challenging.
    If you collected coins in the Sixties, you'll probably recall some strong feelings of apathy, maybe even anger, towards the 1965, 1966 and 1967 sms coins. You may still. With no mint marks or distinction, high mintages, no traditional proof sets, and perhaps except for the 40% Kennedys, there were no exciting reasons to collect, or even acknowledge the sms coins.
    In time (a long time, as nobody really cared), it became clear that high grade '65-'67 sms coins were hard to find. Cam or dcam coins from '65, '66 and '67 are very difficult to locate. And the combo of high grade and cam or dcam is scarce. These days, the highest graded sms coins rarely become available , and a top set is years and years in the making.
    It has been an ongoing pleasure to share and exchange ideas (and coins), and discuss collecting with you Mark. You have a terrific sms set. Congratulations.
  • Options
    I also want to thank Steve. I collect Washington proofs 1965-1998 which also includes the SMS coins. Because of Steves 1966 67 DCam Washington I'm also tied with number one. Thank you very much Steve.
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    My pleasure Craig. Congratulations!
  • Options
    Nice going, Mark! Great set.