Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

My First Registry Set

I have been reading threads here on Collectors Universe for the last year or so and now feel like I am now worthy to post. I hope that by adding a Showcase 1909 VDB Grading Set will help give back since I have been taking info without contributing anything back.

My primary interest is Wheat Cents. My father and his father were collectors, (more like hoarders) they organized and protected pennies into albums and flips, I never really got into it. I didn't understand their obsession until now. Funny that something must be in the genes because I have always saved my pennies, much to the dismay of wife and children.

About a year and half ago, I was forced into early retirement essentially becoming a stereotypical victim of the economy with little marketable modern day skills. Faced with extra time, I chose to start cleaning up years of stuff and decided to try eBay rather than the trash can. That lead to researching items for their values, learning how to sell on eBay and then I got sidetracked when I got to going through the 1/2 ton of pennies boxed and bucketed in a corner of the basement.

Anyways, I figure to keep searching and buying grade labels until I have loaded enough variations to satisfy my drive to complete this set. I am stuck with finding the low circulated grades, there are very few that have been certified and probably even less in real life due to their low value - so if you have any - please let me know! I am going to upgrade my membership to the level that gives you 8 submissions. I figure that will give me my first experience with submitting coins for grading.

Comments are most appreciated. I, unlike others prefer the more direct constructive criticism type of comments. So if you have them, let them fly, I am eager to learn!

Rob

Comments

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image I think you will be very happy around here. Submitting can be fun and also very frustrating hope you run into mostly the fun part.
  • Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a wonderful 'case study' of the first lincoln cent.

Great pictures.

I really like the 45 and 55. Nice looking.
  • Options
    I've done a grading set before its not as easy as it looks
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like fun. I gave consideration to Merc grading set and never did one. Good luck and welcome to the boards.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've done a grading set before its not as easy as it looks >>

Definitely takes some patience!

Best of luck Rob. I've already sold you all of the certified examples in the lower grades that I had. Hopefully you'll be able to find some of the others you need and/or make them yourself with your freebie submissions.

Also, I sent an email to the guy that bought my MS62RD example. Will let you know if he still has it and is interested in selling for your set.

Mike
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for warm welcome. illini deserves all the credit or fault depending on how you look at it, for fueling or supplying my habit! Five or Six coins were his and he is continuing to help! Thanks Mike for finally deciding to part with one of those 67RB's! image

I am working on a lead that I got from a second chance offer for a red vdb Item number: 160503551280 supposedly from an original roll. He has 8 left. I was honest and told him that I might carry them around as pocket change to get Red grades 62/61/60 - Sacrilege, I know - However I already have a dozen or so RED coins from the bay that are mostly suspect color. I need some original reds to submit. Funny idea given AT vs NT debate threads. Now we have AG vs NG... Artificial Grade vs Natural Grade?

The populations are too low and I am too impatient.

MS62RD Population = 21
    MS61RD Population = 4
    MS60RD Population = 0
    MS67RB Population = 3
    MS60RB Population = 1
    MS66BN Population = 8
    MS61BN Population = 5
    MS60BN Population = 1
    AU-53 Population = 6
    VF-35 Population = 6
    VF-30 Population = 9
    VF-25 Population = 2
    VF-20 Population = 3
    F-15 Population = 2
    F-12 Population = 4
    VG-08 Population = 1

Question: Is it ok to post eBay item numbers and ask for reference on a particular seller who is claiming fresh vdb's from a roll? I mean I have what I believe to an original roll of circulated pennies from the 1920's I thought those were the earliest made.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First - WELCOME!!!

So If I understand you post your still going through a mess of cents?..how fun is that..We All started there and I will I hope you maintain a circulated Raw set. Now for your grade set, yes, very cool and like others have said, not as easy to do. I have a 1922 D grading set…took forever to get that last GD 04 cent, so be patient. Are you doing varieties too or just that basic date and mint mark?

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome!!

I like the 65BN the best.
  • Options
    dbemikedbemike Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭
    Welcome!!

Just so you know, the hoarding of 1909 VDB Cents will pass, it won't be long before you need to build a complete set of PCGS Lincolns.

Nice grading set, keep it up.image
  • Options
    Welcome to the set registry. Your in for a fun and usually expensive ride.

Tom
  • Options

<< <i>Thank you everyone for warm welcome. illini deserves all the credit or fault depending on how you look at it, for fueling or supplying my habit! Five or Six coins were his and he is continuing to help! Thanks Mike for finally deciding to part with one of those 67RB's! image

>>

Glad to help. However, I haven't quite decided to part with an MS67RB just yet!!! image Can't blame you for trying though! I saw that the owner of the other MS67RB sent it in for CAC stickering and also had their coin imaged in CoinFacts. It came out really nice and looks way way better than the Bowers & Merena photo of the coin from the auction where it sold for almost $1000 earlier this year.

• Options
    Welcome here!

I think there's a place in all our hearts for wheat cents, as more of us here grew up on them than not. Your MS67RD example is quite stunning, and your grading set in general is really interesting, a nice visual guide to one of the most iconic coin types of the hobby.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Terrific set.
    Nice imaging.

• Options

<< <i> your grading set in general is really interesting, a nice visual guide to one of the most iconic coin types of the hobby. >>

I sort of want to get this coin for the visual fun of it. It is PCGS certified as genuine Code 91 - altered surface My question is that it has no value, on the other hand it is an example of this DDO variety regardless of the obvious coloring. Plus, a grading set should have all the various no grade codes, correct? This one is the extreme of altered!! however - I can't figure out a number. I have seen other 1909vdb DDO Type 2 for as low as $400..

• Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    That is a cool set. The VG10 is really nice for the grade. I like it.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options

<< <i>First - WELCOME!!!

So If I understand you post your still going through a mess of cents?..how fun is that..We All started there and I will I hope you maintain a circulated Raw set. ..................................................................................... Are you doing varieties too or just that basic date and mint mark?

WS >>

A mess of cents.. I am certainly not centsless, of course that depends on who you ask. Yes - I plan on adding varieties and proofs plus extreme variations with-in each specific grade and the Genuine Grade codes. I am not so sure about resubmitting for + designations on superior examples however I would like to also have them included. and then there is the CAC designation..! Where is the roll eyes emotion? image

It's kind of hard to see in this photo but there are 58 albums in various stages of completion (6 complete) not pictured is the buckets and boxes. As far as fun goes, I sort of lost interest in sorting for the time being which is why I am here! The VDB set has my focus and now I have to go back to the raw stuff and look for the DDO's??? sheesh it never ends!

My mess

. imageimage
  • Options
    YIKES!!!! I guess this forum doesn't auto size images - sorry for the noobness
  • Options
    Don't forget the much coveted AU58RD. image
  • Options

<< <i>Don't forget the much coveted AU58RD. image >>

hmmmm does that really exist? I'm scratching my head?? me so confused...

I did get a AU58 Hopefully it will arrive next week and I can post it.
  • Options

<< <i>

I did get a AU58 Hopefully it will arrive next week and I can post it. >>

I'm pretty sure PCGS wouldn't label one as AU58RD (unless it was a mechanical error on the label), but I imagine AU58 red coins exist. Think about it, if you took a nice MS65RD example and it got just a tiny bit of wear on it, it would technically grade AU58, even though it is a red coin.

In building my 1908-S Indian Cent grading set, I actually kept two different AU58 examples for my set. Both just say AU58 on the label, but I consider one of them "AU58BN" and the other "AU58RB." I was never able to find an "AU58RD" example and was unwilling to take a mint state coin and make my own!

The set is progressing very nicely. Can't wait to see the AU58 and the others you acquire. I asked about the MS62RD example that I sold this summer and it has since been sold by the dealer to another collector. I remember the coin was bright red and looked like an MS64RD except for a few huge ugly black spots image Here's the pics I have of that one...

imageimage

Mike
  • Options
    dbemikedbemike Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭
    There are actually 3 circulated VDBs that carry the RD designation, I'm not sure if they say RD on the holder with the grade or just have the PCGS RD #2425 instead of #2423 on the holder.

PO1RD
    G6RD
    AU55RD
  • Options

<< <i>There are actually 3 circulated VDBs that carry the RD designation, I'm not sure if they say RD on the holder with the grade or just have the PCGS RD #2425 instead of #2423 on the holder.

PO1RD
    G6RD
    AU55RD >>

Mike,

When submitting any 1909 VDB Lincoln Cents to PCGS for grading, PCGS asks that the code for the RD example (2425) be used on the form, regardless of whether it's a BN, RB or a RD coin. It seems to me that whoever slabbed those coins failed to use the correct color code for the BN coins (2423) and I doubt it says RD on the holder. A similar situtation exists in the 1908-S Indian Cent pop data as there are some very low grade RB coins showing up in the pop reports which obviously could never be RB coins. All IHCs are initially submitted using the RB codes.

They even do this with the genuine holdered coins. I have 6 genuine coded IHCs in my grading set, some of them use the RB code and some of them use the BN code, regardless of what the acutal coin looks like. In the Registry the grade gets printed up as N1RB or N1BN depending on the coin number used, but no BN or RB designations appear on the labels.

Seems like something that could be avoided if the coins were in fact double and triple checked before being sent home. It really surprises me when mechanical errors are made, but I personally experienced some really major errors in my submissions recently so a small error like this in the coin number isn't as shocking.

• Options
    I've seen AU58RD's & AU58RB's (especially) that were not mechanical errors.
  • Options

<< <i>I've seen AU58RD's & AU58RB's (especially) that were not mechanical errors. >>

I think I actually have a 1978 that is RED graded at AU58 can't remember if RD is included on the grade label or not.. outa town till tues.. will post up then
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome! Lincolns are great! Enjoy the hunt.
  • Options
    Your set is impressive. Thanks for sharing. You may be able to get some more mileage from the grading set by adding additional examples of not just the numbers, but variations of brown, red-brown, and red, for the same grades, as well. Where does it end?! Enjoy.

Duane
  • Options

<< <i>Your set is impressive. Thanks for sharing. You may be able to get some more mileage from the grading set by adding additional examples of not just the numbers, but variations of brown, red-brown, and red, for the same grades, as well. Where does it end?! Enjoy.

Duane >>

Thanks - I have been adding examples, the search now is for extreme examples at each grade level. I thought I could add coins from other grading services but they don't appear as available to add?? Since it's not a ranked set, it seems strange that other coins aren't allowed, then again, I guess other services have varying standards with in each grade. I am finding plenty of DDO's to add however most are from different services.

oh yeah.. had to change my screen name. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Your set is impressive. Thanks for sharing. You may be able to get some more mileage from the grading set by adding additional examples of not just the numbers, but variations of brown, red-brown, and red, for the same grades, as well. Where does it end?! Enjoy.

Duane >>

Thanks - I have been adding examples, the search now is for extreme examples at each grade level. I thought I could add coins from other grading services but they don't appear as available to add?? Since it's not a ranked set, it seems strange that other coins aren't allowed, then again, I guess other services have varying standards with in each grade. I am finding plenty of DDO's to add however most are from different services.

oh yeah.. had to change my screen name. image >>

Robert,

First, welcome back image

Second, I know that you can add NGC or even raw coins into your inventory on the PCGS Registry, but to my knowledge you can't display such coins in any Registry sets, even a non-competitive set like a grading set. To get around this a little bit, you could upload a photo of your non-PCGS coin as a second photo to a coin that is already in your set, then modify the description to explain the second photo. I did that in my 1908-S IHC grading set so I could share a pic of my awesomely toned NGC MS66RB example which I haven't yet tried to cross to PCGS.

Finally, best of luck as you continue to build your VDB set... I'll definitely keep up with it and I'm sure you'll make me sell you one of my PCGS MS67RB examples someday, or maybe even my new MS67+RD image

Mike

• Options
    ^^^^ Thanks for the tips Mike. it's a good idea IMO to add the other TPG's for a case study - after all this is a grading set. The more I am focusing on this set the more I am realizing that there doesn't appear to be any end in sight. Thats a good thing! And yes Mike, how do I secure first rights of refusal on your 66RB's? not so sure about that 67+ . I think I would rather buy 3 more MS67RD's!! I am just not sold on the plus grades yet - which brings me to my next question.

I found a 09 VDB that has the Secure Plus Shield on it, but does not have the plus designation. I already have several examples in that grade. Why would I want another in the same grade, just because it has been laser scanned?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I did get a AU58 Hopefully it will arrive next week and I can post it. >>

I'm pretty sure PCGS wouldn't label one as AU58RD (unless it was a mechanical error on the label), but I imagine AU58 red coins exist. Think about it, if you took a nice MS65RD example and it got just a tiny bit of wear on it, it would technically grade AU58, even though it is a red coin.

Mike >>

Here is a red AU58 not designated RD though

• Options
    INteresting addition to my trials and tribulationscan be found here: Blocked from bidding on CAC 09VDB's
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why are you using two different forum names? I read the responses on the other forum about your being blocked. I think they answered correctly. Your questions would lead me to believe that you may have intended on comparing coins in hand, and returning them if they
    were not an upgrade. The seller was interested in SELLING the coins, not mailing them back and forth. Just my opinion, Shag
  • Options

<< <i>Why are you using two different forum names? I read the responses on the other forum about your being blocked. I think they answered correctly. Your questions would lead me to believe that you may have intended on comparing coins in hand, and returning them if they
    were not an upgrade. The seller was interested in SELLING the coins, not mailing them back and forth. Just my opinion, Shag >>

I didn't like the other screen name, it's an old name given to me by a bunch of wild free skiing teenagers on another message board related to skiing. So I created a new one. I get it now, regarding my message to that seller.... open honest intent with supporting back up information is not helpful in forming relationships with dealers. image j/k
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super duper grading set, thanks for sharing it image
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    I have a ton of problems with uploading images... I consistently name all my files the same - the images are roughly all the same size. HUGE! Does anyone else have problems with uploads. I keep getting messages to contact administration with what I was trying to do when the eroor occurred. I also get messages. "out of memory"

Also, I am thinking about dumping the compositions. as I grow this set . the compositions don't help with scrolling back and forth. opinions?