Home Sports Talk
Options

George Steinbrenner on HOF ballot???

I think it's completely ridiculous. I don't think he (especially) or any team owners should be considered for the Hall. What do you think?
Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

Comments

• Options
    I would prefer the same 5 year wait as players go through.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think it's completely ridiculous. I don't think he (especially) or any team owners should be considered for the Hall. What do you think? >>

Well, since Barney Dreyfuss, Walter O'Malley, Tom Yawkey and Bill Veeck are all enshrined, I'd say the barn door's been open for a while now. Can't close it on other owners who are worthy.

As much as Steinbrenner's villified by many fans, just as many, if not more love him. Same can be said of O'Malley for taking the Dodgers out of Brooklyn. It'll be extremely difficult to keep Steinbrenner out of the HOF. I say he's worthy of enshrinement.

Steve
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    I cannot see anyone closing the door on Steinbrenner. He is beyond fame in baseball.

Yes, he was detail oriented guy, had high standards of those he dealt with, wanted to win and was very motivated, but ultimately was a philanthropist too. I did not agree with his tearing down of Old Yankee Stadium, but no two people will see eye to eye on everything.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course he will one day be in the Hall of Fame - not even debatable whether or not he will get in. Whether he deserves it or not is another story.
  • Options
    In addition to being an overbearing, tyrannical, obsessive-compusive dictator of an owner, what he did to Dave Winfield was despicable. He was banned from operating the Yankees by Fay Vincent as well. Not HOF worthy.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In addition to being an overbearing, tyrannical, obsessive-compusive dictator of an owner, what he did to Dave Winfield was despicable. He was banned from operating the Yankees by Fay Vincent as well. Not HOF worthy. >>

I don't disagree, but for the most part, the HOF has become all about the money. I think their basic theory is the more they let in, then the wider an audience will come to the Hall, hence make them more money...and remember which state the Hall is located.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In addition to being an overbearing, tyrannical, obsessive-compusive dictator of an owner, what he did to Dave Winfield was despicable. He was banned from operating the Yankees by Fay Vincent as well. Not HOF worthy. >>

Don't agree with what George did but given that Dave Winfield is a total trashbag jackass...

Winfield is not a jackass, you say?

Look up his role in the Minnesota/OSU basketball brawl...

George Steinbrenner is a no-brainer HOF'er. 7 World Series titles and 11 AL pennants in 37 years, along with being a pioneer in the free agent market, along with a pioneer in the TV market, make George a no-brainer.

Tabe
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would prefer the same 5 year wait as players go through. >>

Players don't have to wait 5 years for posthumous election.

Tabe
  • Options
    It seems he should be enshrined. The HOF has nothing to do with being a good person or the like, they would have to kick half the hall out if that was the case.

The record the Yankees and Steinbrenner speak for themselves.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    he did a lot for the game, like him or hate him.
    he took a franchise that sucked for what 11-12 million and built it to most valuable team in sports.
    and i hate the yankees

i think martin should get in, miller should as well and eventually steinbrenner no one else really stands out on the ballot
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

Follow the Green Bay ownership model and just put an end to this crap now

This is beyond ridiculous

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    I really do not like the Yankees at all. Never particularly cared for George Steinbrenner. But, what other team accomplished what the Yankees did during his tenure as owner? And he loved the game. He made a lot of mistakes, but they were never because he didn't care. He always did what he thought would help the Yankees win. I thought that was the goal. I say put him in.

Sam
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    At the very least, Steinbrenner should be inducted for being a pioneer.

A pioneer you ask? Yes. Steinbrenner saw the future and bought out the television rights and built his own television network even though he was getting $50,000,000 a year for the rights. Today, the YES Network is available on almost all national cable systems and has some of the best production and sports programming in the business.

The entire package that Steinbrenner originally partnered to purchase for $8.8 million is now an empire that through branding and other interests is easily worth is excess of $4.5 BILLION! Add the World Series Championships and you've got a HOFer...
  • Options
    personally, i don't think an owner belongs in the hall of fame. the only case the would be acceptable is if they had an alright career and great ownership
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Not a big Big Stein fan because of the Sox vs Yanks rivalry. That being said, he deserves to be in the HOF. I think the HOF is not just on the fied it is what you did for the game. Everyone are going to have their faults and Big Stein was one of the bigger, but he was good for the game.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a reason some teams are consistant winners, have the top players, win many championships. It starts with management. There is a reason some teams are regularly at the bottom of the standings. There is a reason some franchises move to a new city as they can't survive in the old city. Ownership, management. The Boss belongs in the HOF. No brainer. BTW I know some have more money to spend than other markets. How did they end up with an excess of funds? Good management.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

<< <i>At the very least, Steinbrenner should be inducted for being a pioneer.

A pioneer you ask? Yes. Steinbrenner saw the future and bought out the television rights and built his own television network even though he was getting $50,000,000 a year for the rights. Today, the YES Network is available on almost all national cable systems and has some of the best production and sports programming in the business.

The entire package that Steinbrenner originally partnered to purchase for $8.8 million is now an empire that through branding and other interests is easily worth is excess of $4.5 BILLION! Add the World Series Championships and you've got a HOFer... >>

Uh, NESN (the Red Sox network) has been around since the early 1980s.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Uh, NESN (the Red Sox network) has been around since the early 1980s. >>

1984, I believe. So, does Red Sox Nation want credit? Try to find NESN on cable networks outside of New England. TBS (1976) and WGN (1978) did it, too, to some extent. YES is on almost every cable network across the country... Who made it work? Ted Turner? Tribune? BoSox/Bruins? Nope! Steinbrenner, after getting away from MSG (which contracted with and paid the Yankees an average of $55M/yr for broadcast rights from 1989 through 2001) made YES a money maker rather than just a broadcast outlet like NESN, MASN, FSN and other "local" and "regional" networks.
  • Options
    I think players and fans ultimately don't care if Mr. Steinbrenner gets in. If players or fans ever visit the Hall, then
    I'm sure they will just give a passing glance at Mr. Steinbrenners display as they make their way to Cobb, Ruth, Gehrig,
    and the others.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Uh, NESN (the Red Sox network) has been around since the early 1980s. >>

1984, I believe. So, does Red Sox Nation want credit? Try to find NESN on cable networks outside of New England. TBS (1976) and WGN (1978) did it, too, to some extent. YES is on almost every cable network across the country... Who made it work? Ted Turner? Tribune? BoSox/Bruins? Nope! Steinbrenner, after getting away from MSG (which contracted with and paid the Yankees an average of $55M/yr for broadcast rights from 1989 through 2001) made YES a money maker rather than just a broadcast outlet like NESN, MASN, FSN and other "local" and "regional" networks. >>

Huh? NESN is owned by the Red Sox. No different than YES.