Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Retiring my 1900-present set soon-the post-1964 coins are for sale

UPDATE: Scroll down for a link to the listings on Buy/Sell/Trade

I might just slide right on into Complete Type and dump the post-1964 stuff in my 1900-present set. I do want to finish that set and will probably accomplish that in the next week or two, but I really was using it as a stepping stone, a starting point for the full set.

I have always had a hard time getting interested in any coin that was made in my own lifetime. I was born in 1965 with the advent of clad coinage, so the 1964 breakoff point for the Complete set suits me fine-all my coins will be older than I am and won't need to play with clads and State quarters and Ike dollars any more. Which is not to suggest there is anything wrong with any of that- I just personally prefer the "classic" stuff.

Since I have sold the middle of the three SLQ's in my 1900-present set, if I slide directly into Complete Type I won't even need to replace it. (Still have a respectable MS64 FH for type 1 and an MS65 FH for type 2). Though it is gone now, I might just leave it registered to see where I end up when the 1900-present set is completed.

If I do this, it means I only need the Barber half and the WM Saint. I might be gettin' close on the half, and I have the money for the Saint all ready to go when I find a decent MS63, or preferably an attractively-priced MS64.

If I do delete my 1900-present set, there will be quite a few nice DCAM proof coins up for grabs.
Have a look in the set and see if there is anything you might want.. If it dates after 1964, chances are pretty fair that it will be for sale in a week or two.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    Hey that sounds like fun. You have to keep it interesting image

For me I'm keeping them. The biggie goal is a really complete type set. So I already have the current stuff. I'll take a gander at your set again.
  • Options
    Shame on you for not deleting that Type 2 SLQ.

I would fill this set out and then wait until the set is weighted to see how it fares before I make any decisions. Should do well in the combined category.

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a done deal. My newest purchase leaves me no choice.

The set is history once I get my WM Saint in a week or so. I am going to fudge it a bit and leave the SLQ up. The NM Saint in there is gone, too, but since I have an identical piece coming from you to replace it, I'm not gonna bother swapping the cert numbers for the week or two before I delete the set. I am gonna ask Larry if I can "borrow" the number on that MS64 Barber half I just returned to him, just for a week or so- yes, it will be sort of "leasing" the number, but not a total cheat, since I did own the coin for a while- just never bothered to register it. Besides, My new Barber half will not fit in the set, since it is an 1898. I'll only be sort-of cheating for a bit, then the set is history. I just want to see how I would have scored had I kept it intact.

On to Complete Type after that, and my post-1964 proofs will go to market.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Wow, after just completeing and bye-bye. Number 9 here I come.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Yeah. I usually lose interest pretty fast after completion. I don't do a complete selloff, though- just a reshuffling. I came here after completing a 1798-2000 nongold set within my own parameters (Mostly ANACS coins, but some other services, too-excluding you-know-who). I had that complete for less than a month before reshuffling the 20th century PCGS coins into the set I am now finishing, and selling the rest. Sold off some really nice 19th century type coins (including the Indian in my icon) so I could climb up the charts quickly here. Now I will be after those same coins all over again, but this time my type set will be all-PCGS, hopefully with some better grades, and will include gold. I was strict with myself about keeping everything in this current 1900-present set above a 62 grade (except my $10 Lib, which unjustly crossed as a 61). In the new 19th century pursuits, though, I will be using some circulated coins. I'll try to stay with AU where MS and PR stuff is unaffordable, though for tough stuff like Draped silver I will be happy with F12 to VF20. The really tough stuff and the 18th Century items I will attempt in G04-VG08. Some I will probably never be able to afford, but what the heck... I wanna see how far I get.

• Options
    NOTE: For those of you who were interested in my post-1964 proof coins from the 1900-present set, I will soon have a proper thread on Buy/Sell/Trade where it belongs. I'll add a link when that thread is up. I have gotten several inquiries via PM and have even sold one of the Ikes (The '76 clad type 1). Instead of dealing with a ton of Private messages, however, I would rather sell the coins out in the open on B/S/T. I would list them on eBay, and might go that route when the eBay account is out of the red, but first y'all can have a crack at 'em on the B/S/T forum. Give me a little while to get that thread up.