Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Scanning PSA Barcodes - which alternative scanners are out there?

What I am wondering and wanting to find out, is if there is some type of program or an "App" available for either the Apple iPhone or the Android type smartphones that would read the “interleave 2 of 5” PSA type barcodes instead of having to use the Symbol barcode scanners that PSA recommends? And if there are not any barcode readers for smartphones out there (which I am pretty sure there are, I just cannot find one), what other scanners do you recommend purchasing (cheapest as possible) to be able to read and scan the PSA's barcodes? Any help would be great.
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    cards651cards651 Posts: 665 ✭✭
    Thanks, bking. Very helpful. - Kevin
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was wondering about Apps for barcode readering myself.

Thanks for sharing...Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    I'm curious as to what you're trying to do after scanning the barcodes with the phone. The only info contained in the barcode is the cert number and I don't see how any of the scanning programs will simplify the process of entering that info into the registry or cert verification. A regular laser scanner like PSA recommends hooked up to a PC enters the info instantly just like you were typing it. I don't see how scanning it with a phone will get the info where it needs to be without a lot of extra steps.
  • Options
    I have not actually tried this myself, but the iphone should be able to connect to the PC via bluetooth. Hopefully, Steve Jobs has not made this impossible to do as he has with music files because Windows based PC's still put money in Bill Gates pocket! Using the bluetooth configuration in the control panel, check to see if a COM port is specified under the local services and the client application tab. Then 'serial wedge' software will have to be installed in the PC. The serial wedge software makes the incoming barcode data on the Blue Tooth com port look like keystrokes to all other PC applications and this will automate the error-free entry of PSA cert numbers. If you google 'serial wedge' you should be able to find a suitable serial wedge program. Some of them even seem to be free.

Again, I have not tried this myself and I don't currently have a 'smart' enough phone to try it, else I would. If anyone does get this up and running. Please let me know.

-D
    Dave
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    You can buy laser barcode readers on Ebay for under $50 and with a little coordination can shoot the certs as fast as you can pull the trigger. No special software, bluetooth equipped PC, or fiddling around is required. If this is all the OP is looking to do then trying to do this with a phone makes a very simple procedure enormously complicated. Symbol is just a brand name and any laser barcode reader will do.
  • Options
    curious about scanning multiple cert. labels on a desktop scanner. has anybody stacked dozens of slabs on their scanners and tried to input several at once? successfully?