Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins

FSH: 15th - 18th Century Papal Medals

Below are several papal medals that I am offering for sale. Insured shipping within the U.S. is included in the listed prices. Payment by check, money order, or PayPal is ok. For reference, my eBay feedback: eBay feedback. Full return privileges on all items.

The listed prices are generally around what I paid, though I will consider any good faith offers.

Sixtus IV, 1475 - Ponte Sisto - $ 600

Bronze, 39.7 mm, 30.5 g

Cast bronze medal commemorating the construction of the new Ponte Sisto bridge in Rome. A good quality cast that appears to be contemporary; with dark patina; very fine condition. From the Michael Hall collection where I accidently purchased it as a duplicate; with fees and shipping, total cost was over $600. A medal not commonly encountered, especially in this condition.

Paul III, 1549 - Holy Year - $ 675

Silver, 41.5 mm, 32.3 g

Struck medal originally created to commemorate the Holy Year of 1550, though Paul III died before it began. The obverse die then had the lettering on the cope referring to the Holy Year effaced (as here) and restrikes were made in the ensuing years. Judging by the large progression of the reverse die crack and the presence of significant die rust on the reverse, this restrike probably dates to the 19th century. In nice EF condition; there is an obverse scratch in the right field, otherwise a very pleasing medal.

Though a later restrike, it is very rare in silver. I have seen only two silver examples for sale in the past six years, one being this piece. The other sold last November at auction for a total of around $900 including fees and shipping (NAC 53, Lot 568).

Gregory XIII, 1580 - Chapel of St. Gregory - $ 250

Bronze, 38 mm, 18.2 g

A restrike of a medal commemorating the construction of the Chapel of St. Gregory of Nazianzus, created using two original dies. Thin, and with a different die combination than Mazio, this is probably a somewhat earlier restrike, perhaps 17th century. Darkly patinated and in VF condition, with some buckling of the reverse die observable horizontally through the lower portion of the cupola.

Innocent X, 1647 - Lateran Basilica - $ 250

Bronze (Copper?), 37 mm

Medal commemorating the restoration of the Lateran Basilica. A later restriked, as evidenced by the coppery sheen of the piece, though with original dies in excellent condition. Very strong EF condition. Originally purchased from Allen Berman.

Innocent X, 1659 - Holy Spirit - $ 375

Silver, 38 mm, 26.1 g

An anachronistic restrike, though rare in silver. The lateness of the strike can be evidenced by the severe die rust (12:00-2:00) and a cracking of the reverse die from about 2:30. A nice EF, with good detail on the dove's plumage.

Alexander VIII, c. 1700 (Posthumous) - Tomb - $ 400

Bronze, 64.5 mm, 103.8 g

The famous medal for the tomb of Alexander VIII, commissioned by his cardinal-nephew. Though dated 1700, Olszewski pegs the year of creation as 1705. A somewhat later restrike, showing some die rust on the obverse and an obliteration at the top of the tomb on the reverse. However, it is significantly earlier than the example shown in Mazio, which contains a huge reverse die crack. In good EF condition with a dark patina.

Though is is relatively common and appears with somewhat regular frequency, it is always a popular piece due to its size and magnificent artistry by Ferdinand de Saint-Urbain. A couple of recent prices for comparison (I believe all prices here are without the BP):
Heidelberger Münzhandlung Herbert Grün 48, Lot 885 - $ 659 + BP (2007)
Heidelberger Münzhandlung Herbert Grün 49, Lot 605 - $ 895 + BP (2008)
Baldwin's Auction 66 - $ 603 + BP (2010)

Innocent XII, 1697 - Propagation of the Faith - $ 200

Bronze, 36 mm

Medal commemorating the founding of the College of the Propagation of the Faith. Well struck and appealing in strong EF condition. The red patina and tiny bits of die rust on the obverse do betray a bit of a later striking, however.

Clement XI, 1721 - Death of Clement XI - $ 200

White Metal, 48.8 mm, 33.8 g

Medal commemorating the death of Clement XI, somewhat uncommon and probably a contemporary or early strike. Beautiful EF condition. As this is from a German artist, Mazio did not obtain the dies and this was not part of his extensive series of restrikes.