Home Metal Detecting

Oct 31, 2010: 1963-D Franklin...with an obverse lamination?

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
I posted a thread on it in the U.S. Coin forum asking if it is a lamination, but it sure looks like one. Either way it's better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Went to another older house today. This one apparently built in 1791. Only had an hour and a half, so was just poking around here and there. After finding a wheat cent and couple of clad dimes, got a quarter signal at about 6 inches. Expecting a clad quarter, or possibly a silver quarter, out pops an unexpected silver half dollar! It's a 1963-D Franklin half, and my first Franklin half ever! My dad found one previously, but it was a neat first. I offered it to the owner, but he courteously declined. Will try to find some coins from my collection for him, or get him a WMT gift card.

Spent the last half hour looking for a watch his dad lost about 35 years ago. Unfortunately didn't find it yet, but I'll check it out again next weekend. It was coooold today with temps hovering around 31 and flurries about. But not much detecting time left this year, so we have to brave it!

HH all!

Comments

• kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Thats a real cool find-not only a silver half- but one with an error! Lot better than I did on today in the cold and light snow- only some pull tabs and two memorials. image
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The guy that had it, threw it away as it was mint damaged.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), [email protected]