Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question about a Heritage NewP

Broadstruck Merc

It seems like most broadstruck 1945 mercs come with full bands (this one has FB but not designated on the holder). Does the high price of the non-error FB 1945 dimes pull up the value of the FB broadstruck pieces?

Comments

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For Merc Dimes, I believe the PCGS "Policy" is to only designate FB below MS60 for the 1916-D, 1942/1, 1942/1-D. Absolutely Nutty, But True! I think if you are going to pay to have a coin graded, it should be graded and designated properly. The powers that be do not share my opinion. Maybe it is a way to cut down on the time the graders spend on each coin, which in turn makes the operation more profitable for shareholders at the expense of the collectors? I would prefer to pay an extra dollar and mark a check box on the form asking that my coins be graded and designated properly....even though we should not have to do that. In the coins I mentioned below, It can make a huge difference for the collectors.

Don Willis is a busy guy; I am guessing he did not have the time to discuss my last post in this FB THREAD over in the Registry Area.

It will likely take many others to speak up about the flaws in the current system before anything is done.

Greg

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't think it should since a broadstruck Merc would be expected to have stronger band definition. However, I guess it's possible.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file