Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Mint & Proof Sets: 2010/2011 transition

renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
A couple of weeks ago I was in Denver and went through the Mint tour again on a whim. I noticed they were already packaging 2011 Mint sets. I looked at the recent numbers in NN to see that there are only 434,960 sets sold to date. So I had a few thoughts/questions...1) is the 2010 mint set still being minted or already made to anticipated demand? 2) This is the last of the satin sets and possibly the lowest in mintage since the Mint is already focusing on 2011. 3) The 2010 Silver Proof set numbers are 372,427 ytd...short struck? Making room for the 2011?

r95

Comments

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They tend to sell these sets into the following year until they simply can't sell any more, but it does look as if sales are behind historical trends. Others may be able to verify this, I don't track them that closely. One thing for sure, the pricing doesn't help to promote sales volumes.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usually, they don't do the yearly sets until mid year or later.
    Now, I believe I recall hearing that they want to have the yearly sets available at the start of the year; similar to the bullion SAEs (they are produced about this time of the year for sale just after the new year...generally around FUN timeframe).

So, it wouldn't surprise me if they are "short" this year and if they aren't for sale once the new ones comes out. I'm surprised some folks aren't stocking up (not even talking about the SF crap these have, since that isn't a draw, but rather, just a short year). Doubt if they have too many sets stocked away.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 2010 silver half and 2010 silver dime are serious low mintage keys so far.

Hopefully these sets will be short struck.
  • Options
    razzlerazzle Posts: 981 ✭✭
    renman,

The 09 sets are still for sale on the mint website. The mint has no shame...!image
    Markets (governments) can remain irrational longer than an investor can remain solvent.
  • Options

<< <i>The 09 sets are still for sale on the mint website. >>

Excellent Razzle...I just bought 50 silver quarter sets.
  • Options
    Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭
    I can't believe the 2009 silver sets are listed in stock again, they were sold out and disappeared! Anyway, I ordered 20 we'll see if they actually ship. Strange!
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    State Quarter burnout is my guess for this year's sets not selling. I went against my own mandate and bought two uncirculated sets a few months ago breaking my promise I was done with yearly proof and mint sets.
  • Options
    Just ordered even more 2009 six piece silver quarter sets.image Just waiting on the cancel boxes to disappear.image
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Usually, they don't do the yearly sets until mid year or later.
    Now, I believe I recall hearing that they want to have the yearly sets available at the start of the year; similar to the bullion SAEs (they are produced about this time of the year for sale just after the new year...generally around FUN timeframe).

So, it wouldn't surprise me if they are "short" this year and if they aren't for sale once the new ones comes out. I'm surprised some folks aren't stocking up (not even talking about the SF crap these have, since that isn't a draw, but rather, just a short year). Doubt if they have too many sets stocked away. >>

...i think this is the news you are referring to, ron.

UNITED STATES MINT TO OFFER ANNUAL PRODUCTS IN JANUARY 2011

January Offering is First in at Least Decade

Washington, DC-The United States Mint said today it plans to make its annual core products available in January 2011. This will be the first time in at least a decade that a majority of its annual core products will be offered this early in the year. Previously, annual Mint products were made available at different times during the year and significantly later in the calendar year.

The products being made available in January will include the 2011 United States Mint Uncirculated Set; 2011 United States Mint Proof Set; and 2011 United States Mint Silver Proof Set.

"We've listened to our customers and their desire to have these annual sets earlier in the year," said Ed Moy, Director of the United States Mint. "Making our annual core products available at one time, and early in the year, provides our customers the opportunity to purchase them for their collections and for gift-giving throughout the year. It's also a demonstration of our commitment to them."

The United States Mint also said that it will announce later this fall the schedule of all of its products that will be released in the first quarter of 2011.

"government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Usually, they don't do the yearly sets until mid year or later.

So, it wouldn't surprise me if they are "short" this year and if they aren't for sale once the new ones comes out. I'm surprised some folks aren't stocking up (not even talking about the SF crap these have, since that isn't a draw, but rather, just a short year). Doubt if they have too many sets stocked away. >>

...i think this is the news you are referring to, ron.

UNITED STATES MINT TO OFFER ANNUAL PRODUCTS IN JANUARY 2011

January Offering is First in at Least Decade

Washington, DC-The United States Mint said today it plans to make its annual core products available in January 2011. This will be the first time in at least a decade that a majority of its annual core products will be offered this early in the year. Previously, annual Mint products were made available at different times during the year and significantly later in the calendar year.

The products being made available in January will include the 2011 United States Mint Uncirculated Set; 2011 United States Mint Proof Set; and 2011 United States Mint Silver Proof Set.

"We've listened to our customers and their desire to have these annual sets earlier in the year," said Ed Moy, Director of the United States Mint. "Making our annual core products available at one time, and early in the year, provides our customers the opportunity to purchase them for their collections and for gift-giving throughout the year. It's also a demonstration of our commitment to them."

The United States Mint also said that it will announce later this fall the schedule of all of its products that will be released in the first quarter of 2011. >>

So my guess is that since 2011 sets are available at the start of the year, 2010 sets will slow down more than usual. Normally they would be uncontested 'til mid-2011.
  • Options
    razzlerazzle Posts: 981 ✭✭
    fivecents,

According to Latiya at the US Mint ordering service, they received an e-mail on Friday, Oct 29, stating they were sold out, despite the listing on the website.
    Regardless, I hope they honor both of your orders.

raz
    Markets (governments) can remain irrational longer than an investor can remain solvent.
  • Options

<< <i>Order Status: Your order request is on hold. >>

<< <i>In stock and reserved >>

with cancel box.

Time will tell I guess.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file