Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Elizabeth 11 Maundy set from Stack's auction.....

I was happy to win this set and actually paid about what I expected.

It's a 1955 Elizabeth 11 Maundy set and I need the pieces for a PCGS Registry proof Elizabeth type I'm working on.

The sets should be fairly common but I rarely run into them on Ebay or any of the English dealers or auctions I search
so it was a good find I think.

These are fairly typical of the set. 1 or 2 sides of the other coins aren't as attractive but i think overall I'm looking at
PR 65 to PR 67 hopefully.

The coins are very tiny so it wasn't easy to get the good color on tilt without losing too much of the focus. For me at least image

No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
It's just that I got my PCGS grades.

Comments

• Options
    Very, very nice! Love the color!image
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    That was a very nice set, congrats.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    great effort with the image- terrific look

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think that Eliz II Maundy sets are common at all, especially the ones in sealed packages. Did it come in a sealed package? Either way, superb!image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Thanks folks.

Dimitri, the coins were in sealed containers. I never checked but had no idea that these
    sets were scarce in any sense. Thanks for pointing that out.....
  • Options
    Maundy coins are not distributed as sets, and there will be odd numbers of each coin given to each recipient. From Wiki

Victorian Maundy coins are quite common, as anybody could order a set from a bank. However, in 1908, King Edward VII ordered that they should only be supplied to their recipients and people connected with the service, so coins dated 1909 and later are considerably scarcer—though, of course, the quantity increases as the monarch ages. In 2005 the total mintage of each denomination was 1,685.[3] In 2006 Queen Elizabeth II turned 80, and thus 80 men and 80 women each received 80 pence in Maundy Money on April 13 at Guildford Cathedral. In that year, they also received a special £5 coin that commemorated her 80th birthday and a 50p coin that commemorated 150 years of the Victoria Cross.

Under a special privilege granted by Queen Elizabeth I, students at Westminster School also received Maundy coins for distinguished work.

Maundy coins, in proof condition, were sold as part of a special silver proof set of all United Kingdom coins in 2000 and in 2006. They were also sold in gold as part of a special gold proof set of all United Kingdom coins in 2002, as part of the Golden Jubilee observances.

While Maundy recipients have long sold the coins to dealers at a premium,[4] in recent years, individual recipients have taken to selling them on eBay.

Gary
  • Options
    If "not sold as sets", an exception on this one Gazza.

In a red velvet lined case marked "Maundy Money" from the Royal Mint.

In any case Maundy coins have a compelling historical story to tell I agree.....
  • Options

<< <i>If "not sold as sets", an exception on this one Gazza.

In any case Maundy coins have a compelling historical story to tell I agree..... >>

The case are effectively after market.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If "not sold as sets", an exception on this one Gazza.

In any case Maundy coins have a compelling historical story to tell I agree..... >>

The case are effectively after market. >>

A correctoin to what I said above. The coins mostly come in leather pouches although in current times the royal mint have throw in a single undated 4 coin case.
    Gary