Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Jackie Robinson poppage from across the street (PSA doesn't grade them)....

When I learned that there were some Jackie Robinson food issues from 1947 (predating his 1948/49 Leaf "rookie"), I decided that I'd try to find one of those for my Hall of Famer rookie card collection.

So, a raw one showed up on Ebay. They don't come up often, so based on the seller's other legit looking stuff, good feedback, and his satisfaction guarantee, I decided to roll the dice. I had an SGC submission package ready to send out as soon as I got the card and mailed it out the same day for their $25 overnight grading special.

A few days later, poppage:

Item # Year Publisher Set Card# Player Name Description Grade
1 1947 Bond Bread JACKIE ROBINSON 84

And a few days after that, mail day!

My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25

Comments

• hookemhookem Posts: 971 ✭✭
    Very nice! Congrats

How much did it cost raw?
    Hook'em
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>How much did it cost raw? >>

$86.

• IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    Ok, I'll bite......why doesn't PSA grade this issue?
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Nicely done
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I know nothing about these cards, but are they supposed to have corners? How did it grade that high with no corners? Nice card though!
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>I know nothing about these cards, but are they supposed to have corners? How did it grade that high with no corners? Nice card though! >>

Not sure if it is a different issue, but this card ( 160496964016 ) just sold on eBay for $35.00. It looks the same and it does have corners.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    The card is found in 3 legit versions.

The die-cut corners (like this one), ones with perforated edges, and rarer oversized cabinets.

Apparently the square cornered standard sized cards were released in the 50s.

In the 80s, someone "found" a stash of the square cornered versions in a warehouse, but they're considered to be fakes. They often show up on Ebay slabbed by disreputable grading companies.

• fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    PSA take note... there is no reason to play dumb on these 63 year old cards...

These cards are very easy to ID and they all should be graded. PSA was scared away from the W571 cards because of the rumored large hoard of 1/2 the set uncovered in early 1980s in a NY warehouse, and thought to be NEW reprints.

The card above is NOT a W571, it is a 1947 D305.

The 1947 D305's all have factory cut rounded corners, and were only issued in packages of bread in 1947 (same cards have been found with a Page's Milk (Pitt.) stamp on back but are very rare).

The W571 (square corner)) were issued in a boxed set ca.1950. These are the same cards with 1/2 the set discovered in a large hoard in a NY warehouse in early 1980's. But there is white backed and tan back variations. (its thought that the white back = 1950's, tan back = an even later reprint (warehouse find)

If you want a 1947 make sure the cards has the round corners. J.Roby, Musial, Kiner, Hodges, Berra, etc. all have rookies or early cards in this 1947 Bond Bread Issue (Musial had a few items earlier than the 1947 D305)

Here is Ted's call on the set from last year on Net54. Thread also shows some of the VERY RARE Exhibit size cards and the VERY RARE 2 sided perforated ones too. Both of these are unrelated to Bond Bread but use the same photos like the W571's did.
    1947 BOND BREAD and its "imposters"....show us your cards ?

imageimage
    imageimage
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Thanks for the info guys. I don't know much about this issue, was just showing an example that I found.

Is there a reason PSA graded just the Jackie Robinson (many different cards) from the 1947 Bond Bread issue?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    The Jackie Robinson cards that PSA grades are not the same set, they are D302's. The card at top of this post is a D305. Both are from 1947 but the design is far different. The D302's only have Robinson as a subject with 13 different cards in set.
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    sweet card, congrats on the grade too!
  • DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Sweet card!! OBTW, congrats on a fantastic grade!
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).