Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Proof Seated Liberty Halves

Was wondering if it's common to see hairlines on these in the lower PF60-63 grades. I would think any hairlines are ungradeable, but I guess not given instead of body bagging it, the TPG's just give it the lowest designate grade it can get for a Proof.

Comments

• Options
    partagaspartagas Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭
    Hairlines are the reason the coins grade 60-63. They don't get nicks and ticks because they aren't for circulation.
    If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around. Am I still wrong?
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    If you know how to examine coins properly, you will see hairlines on most Proof coins of that type, including those graded higher than 65.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my experience, the presence, placement and number of hairlines is the greatest single detmining factor of grade for 19th century coinage and this is especially true in the 60-63 range.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every grade below 70 is a "net" grade. The previous posters have stated it well... Relative amount and severity of hairlines determine mostly grades of older proofs

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It all comes down to hairlines on all classic proofs that determine the final outcome of the grade...
  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭
    Not intending to highjack this thread but wonder why 19th century proof-like unc coins with hairlines are not similarly graded.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hairlines do affect the grade of PL or even non-PL unc coins if they are obvious enough. It's just that they stick out like a sore thumb on proofs.

What probably keeps a PF67 or PF68 seated coin from being a single point higher could be 1 or 2 minor hairlines in a non-focal area. Hairlines can range in length and depth as well as location so there's really no way to create a system to judge them other than looking at each coin and assessing the damage. It's pretty unusual to have any seated proof with no hairlines. I don't think I've ever seen one.

Lots of hairlines is what makes PF61's to 63's. And there will be no shortage of them on even grades up to 65. When the grading systems were first unveiled in the later 1980's, a single hairline in the focal area of the coin (ie across the face of a Barber half) would almost automatically put that coin no higher than a PF64, regardless of its other qualities. Today, such a hairline probably wouldn't keep a coin out of PF67 if the coin were otherwise magnificent.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file