Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Wire Photo Shot vs Actual Card Picture; Updated w/New Images!

Being an Orioles fan my entire life (I'm close to 50), I always had fond memories of the 1970 Topps card that depicted a lumbering Boog Powell scoring the winning run in an ALCS game (I can still remembering going to Kurtz's Candy store and buying packs and pulling this card).

Anyways, last week I saw a wire photo of the moment offered on eBay as a BIN and promptly pulled the trigger. When it arrived yesetrday, it struck me that the wire photo image was taken a nano second after the actual card photo, but I'm pleased to own it anyways.......Will be a good item for Boog to sign at his Barbeque Stand @ Camden Yards in 2011...

imageimage

Enjoy the hobby!

IMF
Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.

Comments

• zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    that's awesome
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    I recall someone here awhile back had the wirephoto from the 1971 Topps Munson card (tag play @ home)
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I recall someone here awhile back had the wirephoto from the 1971 Topps Munson card (tag play @ home) >>

Yes, it was the same play from another angle...
  • PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Did Boog miss the plate?
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

sure looks that way to me. The Topps photo looks like he is coming down right on it--doctored photo?? And in a nano second how does the catcher completely flip his body??

And i just noticed his leg is air brushed out on boog
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I actually like the wire photo better since it shows him touching the plate. Nice find!
  • heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    Nice fined, That's really cool when you see them together.
    They would look awesome framed.

• << <i>And i just noticed his leg is air brushed out on boog >>

It looks like the bat is missing on the card too.

topps photo is totally doctored----no bat/ no leg/catcher flips/home plate moves/ nice job Topps
  • hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Not a doctored photo, just two different angles. Boog's right lower leg is hidden in the Topps pic. The two photogs were probably sitting next to each other behind home plate. It does look like Topps took out the bat, though.
    Very cool to see this.
  • Very cool. I like the wire photo image better also.

Sort of related...
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    that is cool, and I've heard from several friends who have met and talked with Boog that he is as good as they come.

Unlike "some" running backs---the football almost never disappeared out of his armsimage
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    Found this other laserphoto image in my collection from June, 1990 which shows the same play (although different angle) that was used on Bill Ripken's 1991 Topps card

IMF