Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hypothetical Paypal situation with Local pickup

AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
Sometimes I get an email ebay buyers asking if they can pay for an item by paypal and pick it up. I try to avoid this. What if the person picks it up, and tells paypal he never got the item? What can you do to protect yourself?
All coins kept in bank vaults.
PCGS Registries
Box of 20
SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sometimes I get an email ebay buyers asking if they can pay for an item by paypal and pick it up. I try to avoid this. What if the person picks it up, and tells paypal he never got the item? What can you do to protect yourself? >>

Your concerns are well founded.

Local pick-up = Bring cash

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    On second thought, if the buyer sent a paypal gift, would he still be able to then reverse the payment? In any event, I would expect a cash payment for a face-to-face transaction.

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    can you make them sign an invoice acknowledging receipt? I know this is not anything from Paypal rules but at least it would be a start to covering yourself. I would also get some ID. First choice is avoid the situation and do cash as mentioned above.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be more worried about getting rolled than some PayPal misadventure.

PASS
  • Options

<< <i>I would be more worried about getting rolled than some PayPal misadventure.

PASS >>

If the transaction took place at a bank or the local police station, I wouldn't be too worried. If the buyer suggested some back alley location after dark, I would pass on the deal.

• Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804

<< <i>Sometimes I get an email ebay buyers asking if they can pay for an item by paypal and pick it up. I try to avoid this. What if the person picks it up, and tells paypal he never got the item? What can you do to protect yourself? >>

What if the buyer puts a gun to your head? That's what I'd be worried about.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

What if the buyer puts a gun to your head? That's what I'd be worried about. >>

Bring your own, just in case.
  • Options
    I've done a couple of "local pickup" deals from ebay, but they were for books. For coins, I'd expect local pickup would only be used if the buyer can go to the seller's brick & mortar store. Otherwise no way, too much risk.
  • Options

<< <i>

What if the buyer puts a gun to your head? That's what I'd be worried about. >>

If the buyer has already paid with paypal, wouldn't it be really easy to track him down? Also, who in their right mind would pull a gun if the transaction occurred in a very public place?

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paypal buyer protection covers on line purchases whether ebay or not and whether shipped or not. I would allow pick up but have buyer sign receipt (with his drivers license number included). This would serve as "faxed to paypal proof" in event of claim. I would go one step further and have him request local pickup through ebay messaging with a documented time and date. I would reply with acknowledgement of agreed pickup. Ebay messages become important evidence in a dispute. I learned this from first hand experience. You could go one step further and have buyer log into ebay at time of pick up and provide positive feedback when you hand over the item.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    i never do local pick ups with items I sell. Pay pal is rigged in favor of the buyer as well as security issues. No way is it worth it in my view.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pass. Nothing to gain, everything to lose.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Local pickup = cash only. Problem solved.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cash or get a receipt of pickup .
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    From PayPal:

11.5 Items/transactions not eligible for Seller protection.

The following are examples of items/ transactions not eligible for Seller protection.

•Items that you deliver in person.
  • Options

<< <i>On second thought, if the buyer sent a paypal gift, would he still be able to then reverse the payment? In any event, I would expect a cash payment for a face-to-face transaction. >>

The answer to this is yes. Even gifts and payment owed can be reversed if done properly, and take 4-5 days for the seller to find out. I tried to bring this to everyones attention... but was ignored.
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way more downside than up. Fuggeddaboudit.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't trust PayPal (heck, I'm already rather leery) and I also wouldn't do a local pickup for safety reasons. Plus, it's a lot less effort on my part to package something up than go somewhere out of my way, wait, and hand it off.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804

<< <i>I wouldn't trust PayPal (heck, I'm already rather leery) and I also wouldn't do a local pickup for safety reasons. Plus, it's a lot less effort on my part to package something up than go somewhere out of my way, wait, and hand it off. >>

I have over 2,000 PayPal transactions and VERY few issues.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I for one can see no reason to give PayPal a 3% cut on a deal they have nothing to offer to either of us for it.
  • Options
    scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭
    I dont see any point in using Paypal with a face to face transaction - cash or no deal.
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cash for local pick-ups only...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file