Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Rogers M. Fred Auction, 1995. ~~141 Feuchtwangers ~~heres the analysis

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
The Fred/Ward auction of 1995, among other interesting patterns, medals etc, contained 141 Feuchtwangers....heres the breakdown~~

is a good sample of types, conditions and average grade. There are only 8 types represented. average grade is combined numerical grades divided by the number in the collection.

type amount average grade
1A 1 25
2A 3 37
3E 14 31
4E 10 35
5H 23 36
5G 22 34
6G 15 31
6I 47 40

Grades ranged from a few AG to a few MS63 just a few were holed, no mention made of planchet defects

The 6I had a large number of AU58 All the MS63's (four) were 6I

So basically 1/3 are 6I. They have the highest average grade, and the most higher grade examples. This backs up statements by some suggesting the 6I is more of a Civil War era issue...or at least much later than 1837.

Also in the Collection, were seven 3 cent pieces, Four were Low 117 HT-262 New York Coat of Arms, and three were Low 118 HT-263 Eagle All three of the Eagles had the beguiling JMP counterstamp which has yet to be explained. all were circulated, one of the Eagles had a long thin planchet crack. About 15 of the known 3 Cent HT-263's bear the Counterstamp, out R5 31-75 population.

The cents were all sold in groups, with assorted varieties but grouped in grade, 5 to 9 at a time.

So there is a bit of interesting real world research on Feuchtwangers. Since the good Doctor left no records, we must make the coins speak for themselves.

One conclusion I feel its safe to admit is that based on average grade, all the types above included with the exception of the 6I were coined during the Hard Times era. Also, several varieties just did not come into the collection, and Mr. Fred had been collecting coins from the 1930's into the 1990's. Therefore, we can take to heart some of the higher R numbers certain varieties have. Circulation of this piece should have ended along with the civil war and the return of federal coinage. Also, one cannot deny that many of these must have been put away as novelty items, explaining the abundance of nice AU pieces. Some of the lower graded examples must have circulated for the full period between the hard times and the end of the civil war...according to the degrees of circulation. It takes a lot of wear to create an AG coin which is as hard as a nickel, and with much higher relief.

I can only imagine how often this was mistaken for a dime.......or the three cent piece mistaken for a quarter!

(Mr. Rogers M. Fred had an astounding collection of Patterns, Medals and esoteric material If you are interested in patterns you NEED to have this auction catalog, Bowers & Merena November 13 1995 Fred/Ward Collecitons)

Comments

• Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    I believe that the Feuchtwangers in this sale were not Rogers' coins. I believe that they were another consignment.

I helped Rogers with his collection from the middle 1960's on. He was one of the most enthusiastic collectors that I ever had the privelege of working with.

I believe that in addition to his patterns, there was an exceptional collection of Assay medals, and some British coins as well, but I am almost certain that the Feuchtwangers were not his.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for taking the time to summarize the sale.

Question: Why would the relative high grade of 6I lead to suggest a later mintage? I don't follow. Couldn't it be something like who the coins were sold to or perhaps a hoard? I'm not sure I follow the logic. Kindly explain.

Thanks...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    dengadenga Posts: 903 ✭✭✭
    I corresponded with Rogers Fred twenty-odd years ago on his collection of Assay Commission
    Medals, which was outstanding. I do not recall his mentioning any interest in the Feuchtwanger
    series.

Denga
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive corrected the OP to disassociate the Feuchtwangers from Mr. Fred. The auction catalog does not make this clear, but I will trust Julians excellent memory on this.

Mike, numerous writers suggest that the 6I variety was struck during the civil war era. The grade evidence here suggests that this type was not in circulation for the extended period from 1837 onward. By the end of the Civil War, federal coinage began to become available again for general circulation and tokens in general left the commerce stream.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I own that catalog and thought all the Feuchtwangers in that sale belonged to Mr. Ward image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file