Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I’m calling on every American to get the penny back in circulation and keep it there ...

Interesting read:

<< <i>
IMMEDIATE RELEASE
FINAL COPY
May 21, 1974

MINT APPEALS FOR RETURN OF THE PENNY

I’m calling on every American to get the penny back in circulation and keep it there, Mrs. Mary Brooks, Director of the Mint, said today. I’m calling on the banking industry to welcome the return of pennies during the month of June. I’m urging schools, churches and charities to examine ways and means to involve their members in collecting pennies for deposit.

The price of copper has retreated, closing at $1.15 per pound on May 20. There will be no aluminum penny. The 62 billion pennies produced during the past 15 years have no numismatic value and because of the huge mintage they will never attain great value.

Nevertheless, speculators and hoarders of pennies have caused what seems to be a shortage of pennies in certain areas of the country.

But there is no shortage of a supply of pennies.

Creating a shortage where it does not exist can adversely affect every public spirited citizen, taxpayer and conservator of the earth’s resources. It is inflationary should merchants start to round off sales to the next nickel due to lack of pennies to make change.

Again, I’d like to emphasize. There are plenty of pennies. But they are in the wrong places.

It is estimated that over 30 billion pennies are in circulation—doing the job for which they were intended. Somewhere in this vast country of ours, however, in excess of 30 billion pennies are in hiding. These are the pennies I’m looking for. They are in dresser drawers, shoe boxes, pickle jars; most anyplace you can think of that will get them out of pocket and out of sight. They are unwanted, unused and unappreciated.

For the Mint to be forced to continue increasing its penny production to meet the current extraordinary demand is wasteful. Wasteful of a natural resource—copper—that cannot be replenished by man. And wasteful of the taxpayers’ hard earned money. One billion pennies returned to circulation will save the taxpayers $10,000,000.

The current price and supply of copper allows us to continue production and distribution of the copper bearing cent. During the past 15 years, the Mint has pumped out over 62 billion pennies using some 202,000 tons of copper in their manufacture.

This year alone the Mint expects to use 33,000 tons of copper in cent production—making about 35 million pennies each working day.

If just 15 billion pennies could be lured out of hiding, the Mint, at current production figures, wouldn’t have to make pennies for almost 2 years and it would represent a saving of $150 million.

Fifteen years ago, the reverse design of the Lincoln cent was changed from wheat to a view of the Lincoln memorial. The Mint produced 25.7 billion Lincoln wheat pennies during a 50 year period.

The Lincoln wheat pennies do enjoy collector interest—some years commanding more numismatic value than others. Rarity is one of the determinants establishing value of almost any collectible item. Especially this holds true for coins. A general rule of thumb is the lower the mintage of a given coin, the higher the numismatic value. Coin collecting is a very wholesome hobby. I’m happy to have young people looking at their coins.

Sixty-two billion pennies of identical design, however, can never qualify as numismatic rarities and so cannot ever reach great numismatic value. The true collector knows this and collects only those pennies needed to complete his coin collection sets. The true collector likes bright, uncirculated coins also. Not the dull and discolored ones, unless they are rare.

For every $25 worth of pennies cashed in at a bank, the Treasury and the Mint are prepared to issue a Treasury Department certificate to the individual or group responsible.

Obviously, this campaign to get the penny back in circulation will require the cooperation of the banks in forwarding the names to be cited for an award to Mary Brooks, Director of the Mint, 55 Mint St., San Francisco, Calif., 94175.

Truly this is a challenging project for anyone who participates. It will give every American family a chance to help control inflation, protect the environment and cut government expenses.

- 2 -
>>

Comments

• Options
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The penny was only a little stupid in 1974.

It's insanity now.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Snowman24Snowman24 Posts: 466 ✭✭✭
    i remember the shortage back in 73/74 when i was 9-10 years old.

stores or banks were offering a little extra if you brought back pennies
    i think it was maybe 5 cents extra per roll ? stores were giving out 1 cent stamps
    instead of pennies ...thats about all i can remember

at the time ...i never heard of rising copper prices for the penny shortage
    but Hey ..i was only 10 at the time
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>i remember the shortage back in 73/74 when i was 9-10 years old.

i think it was maybe 5 cents extra per roll ? stores were giving out 1 cent stamps

but Hey ..i was only 10 at the time >>

Pennies were so cheap that people could afford to set aside vast numbers of them
    and some people were. This was not nearly on the scale of the set aside back in '64
    and not so widespread but it doesn't take a large percentage setting aside a bag or
    two to make a little dent in production. It was so bad with the San Francisco issues
    that the mint actually sent much of the 1974 production to the Denver mint to be mixed
    in with their coins.

Of course a lot of the problem was copper prices and some of the public was hoarding
    them for copper. I suspect the major factor though was simple inflation. Inflation was
    asoaring in the early '70's and the econony hadn't started its funk yet in '74 and a lot
    of people just didn't see much point in lugging pennies to the bank. In other words
    inflation was causing the amount of cents held by the public to increase.

She was wrong about the potential for these coins though. While most everyone lost
    on the coins set aside the quality of most of these was rarely extremely good and there
    are numerous varieties which are interesting.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    <<For every $25 worth of pennies cashed in at a bank, the Treasury and the Mint are prepared to issue a Treasury Department certificate to the individual or group responsible.

Obviously, this campaign to get the penny back in circulation will require the cooperation of the banks in forwarding the names to be cited for an award to Mary Brooks, Director of the Mint, 55 Mint St., San Francisco, Calif., 94175.>>

Did anybody else try to collect these certficates? I did not find the banks very cooperative. I am not sure they even wanted more cents.
    Note that the Director of the Mint is using the term "pennies".
  • Options
    SCDHunterSCDHunter Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

<< <i><<For every $25 worth of pennies cashed in at a bank, the Treasury and the Mint are prepared to issue a Treasury Department certificate to the individual or group responsible.

Obviously, this campaign to get the penny back in circulation will require the cooperation of the banks in forwarding the names to be cited for an award to Mary Brooks, Director of the Mint, 55 Mint St., San Francisco, Calif., 94175.>>

Did anybody else try to collect these certficates? I did not find the banks very cooperative. I am not sure they even wanted more cents.
    Note that the Director of the Mint is using the term "pennies". >>

I wonder if any of our board members have seen the resulting certificates? They would be part of our coin heritage. Hopefully, someone will come along with an example to share.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,878 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That letter probably led to massive hoarding. On the other hand, if it was a plea or an offer for a "bounty" at fair market price for the purposes of removing the billions... image imagine the collectibles that might be created. Some dates would be "tough finds" and less common.

• Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...i remember when pennies were in cigarette packs! image lucky strikes, i believe.
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I put back all the Zincolns and save the 95% copper Lincolnsimage
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    NEVER!!!!!!! THEY'RE ALL MINE!!!!!
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see those cents getting thrown everywhere with no respect...
  • Options

<< <i>I see those cents getting thrown everywhere with no respect... >>

Has our Country fallen this low? image
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>i remember the shortage back in 73/74 when i was 9-10 years old.

but Hey ..i was only 10 at the time >>

I remember some banks around here paying .55 cents a roll if you brought them back in at that time to. If i remember right they did it a coupla more times as well
  • Options
    Make sure all you coin dealers put the 1909 S-VDB's back into circulation..
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,482 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I put back all the Zincolns and save the 95% copper Lincolnsimage >>

CLINCOLNS!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    I currently have 43 rolls of Zinkolns 9 rolls of copper.

That's $21.50 in current cents and $4.50 in pre-82 copper cents.

image What have you?
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I put all the pennies I get in change in a can EVERY time I get home.

When the can is full I take it to the bank and get real money.
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭
    if there is a "leave a penny..." dish, i do.

or i let my son leave them to get flattened on the train tracks
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options
    I took about 20,000 pounds of totally unsearched OBW rolls of early 1900's Lincolns and buried them in a swamp after smashing them with a metal pole, sight unseen. That's were they are. I was young and it seemed like a good idea at the time. I just wish I could only remember what work detail that was. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file