Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Opinion needed for 1859-O Dollar....

DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
Same coin under different light....

I'm thinking au55/58 eventhough it would not grade because of the "X" scratches in the field on the obverse.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

Comments

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    definite no grade
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424

<< <i>definite no grade >>

Agreed.

And I also agree with the OP in his "details" grade of upper AU.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's a nice looking dollar.

it's really too bad that so many collectors would "grade" it

"Genuine", "damaged-pass" or "Bodybag" instead of offering a realistic net grade

I'll say AU57 details net AU50

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps it's the lighting, but the coin has an "altered surfaces" look to me. It might be a nograde, even without the "X".
  • Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭
    It looks to me a little too banged up for a high AU details grade - maybe 55 53 details, net 45/50? Nice eye appeal elsewise so maybe higher.
  • Options
    Great toning on it! Maybe an MS60
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU58 details... Altered surfaces.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apart from the surface issues discussed, this may be a mint state coin with excessive 'bag friction', and perhaps doctoring has muted the luster. This is one of the treasury hoard dates, and an estimated 3000 Uncs turned up in the early 1960's, most showing a lot of wear and tear from sliding around in treasury bags over many years. One of those ironic situations in early coinage where there may be as many or more Uncs that exist than circ specimens.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file