Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Saved $1,400 on this Bossy card. edit: looks like it could be a sheet cut card

I was building the Mike Bossy master/basic sets a couple years ago and from time to time still check out the going prices on eBay. With myself out of the market (and at least one other collector in the set) the prices of Bossy's cards have dropped to around grading fees (except his OPC RC).

This guy has been trying to sell this card Bossy PSA 10 RC for a few months now and I know for sure I would have been a bidder on the original listing.

With all the talk of the economy hurting collections, I think this is an example where collectors not collecting killed a market.

Just thought I would share.

edit: after looking at the cert numbers from his sub, I suspect this Bossy is a sheet cut card...could be wrong, but I don't know why someone would have subd a 1978 Bossy literally in the middle of a bunch of NM 1955 Topps baseball cards.

Comments

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whats your point
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Whats your point >>

sometimes there isn't one.
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭
    NO ONE would ever get that for a Topps IMO. I could see an OPC maybe, depending on what it looked like. I like them with fuzzy edges and centered. Everyone can hope and dream though. This is where a "best offer" option may make him some $$. For $1400 I'd like a nice scan, not some garbage picture.

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always wanted the OPC version of his rookie card. I want one that has a really rough cut. image A nicely centered 7 or 8
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    This is a perfect example of what is going to happen to the wrastlin card market when Dpeck and his 3 buddies quit buying them.
  • Options

<< <i>This is a perfect example of what is going to happen to the wrastlin card market when Dpeck and his 3 buddies quit buying them >>

Dpeck has 3 buddies? Hard to believe, but anything is possible! image
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This is a perfect example of what is going to happen to the wrastlin card market when Dpeck and his 3 buddies quit buying them >>

Dpeck has 3 buddies? Hard to believe, but anything is possible! image >>

wrestling guys are a tight and sweaty group.
  • Options
    Sure they are tight??
  • Options
    The card looks like it is curving in that holder, and if you look up his sub he literally stuck this '78 hockey card in the middle of some NM 1955 baseball.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The card looks like it is curving in that holder >>

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Patrick

I think that is simply the way the camera took the picture. The card is NOT bowing in the case.

Scott shoot me too.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>wrestling guys are a tight and sweaty group. >>

With hot wives.

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>and if you look up his sub he literally stuck this '78 hockey card in the middle of some NM 1955 baseball. >>

Did you find his actual submission, or did you do cert verifications? It could be that he just submitted the one card by itself and the cert numbers around it are other submissions.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>wrestling guys are a tight and sweaty group. >>

With hot wives. >>

+1 for the Hot wives?? image
  • Options
    I just subbed a 1970 Topps Bob Griese along with a bunch of hockey cards in the $4.50 special. I subbed it because it was sitting in my collection and I figured it was an 8 or better, and for $4.50 it seemed worth it. So, why couldn't the submitter of this Bossy have had the same opportunity? He/she thought it looked good and subbed it with the 55's.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options

" after looking at the cert numbers from his sub, I suspect this Bossy is a sheet cut card...could be wrong, but I don't know why someone would have subd a 1978 Bossy literally in the middle of a bunch of NM 1955 Topps baseball cards. "
    You are the worlds best detective,, hands down. Baseball collectors dont collect hockey. Makes sense
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    "Baseball collectors dont collect hockey."

What is Hockey?
  • Options
    So where do you think the Nm 1955 topps cards came from? Canada? Hmmm you might be on to something big. 1955 topps Baseball wasnt made in canada. Big, this is Big!!!!!!
  • Options
    I'm just saying if I were to try to pass a sheet cut card, I'd put together a sub like his.
  • Options

<< <i>Patrick

I think that is simply the way the camera took the picture. The card is NOT bowing in the case.

Scott shoot me too.

Steve >>

Steve, from my end it looked like it -- but if you think it is not bowing then that is enough for me.
  • Options
    Patrick

I only think that because the case also looks like it's bowed.

And it would be pretty hard for a card to bow in a case.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

The closer the camera is the worse the bow gets. I use a half extended tripod and the timer for good pics.
  • Options
    And you mount the tripod on one of the Cats you have too~

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    So much to worry about in this hobby. But how do you know what works when passing a trimmed card by PSA. Examples or stories? Is this the best way? 1955 Topps with an OPC card? Is this the best way? Explain your brilliance please.
  • Options
    I know we have so much to worry about! My pet peeve is when sellers make a 1.00 or 2.00 on shipping!

Good for you.
  • Options
    ahmen
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Whats your point >>

That was my question as well.