Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1967 Mantle Original vs Reprint/Fake

Hi Folks....Is there an easy way to tell if a 1967 Mickey Mantle Topps #150 is an original or a fake?

Thanks,
Gord
gordmott144@gmail.com
Collecting PSA Graded Orioles From 1954 to 1980

Comments

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    same as any 1967 topps card. Just look for reprint or if it just dosent feel right. Why do you ask?
  • Options
    It's just that I worry about posts like this on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1967-TOPPS-MICKEY-MANTLE-REPRINT-LOT-LOT-25-/320617734923?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa64e630b

Is there any way to tell if the card you are buying is a reprint - if it doesn't say reprint in the title?

gordmott144@gmail.com
  • Options
    Sorry...I guess I am not asking the right question. Let me try again....

If some unscrupulous seller purchased the reprint Mantle lot and then later tried to sell them individually as real Mantle cards, is there any way I could tell an original from one of these reprints?

Thanks!
    gordmott144@gmail.com
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    That looks like a homemade reprint. However you can resale it up to $20.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭
    All listing for that garbage have gone poof!
  • Options
    I must presume that since no one is giving an explanation of how to tell a fake Mantle '67 #150 from an original, you probably can't tell the difference!

And there are probably thousands of fake Mantle reprints floating around as part of raw '67 sets all over the country.
    gordmott144@gmail.com
  • Options
    Honestly I have no idea why everyone is giving you such a hard time. It can get a little crazy around here I guessimage

Anyway, the very best thing you can do is to get a real authentic 1967 common to compare it against the Mantle (or whatever card you're buying). Do the colors look the same? Is the letter spacing the same? Does the feel & thickness of the cardboard feel the same?

Of course, this is assuming you're able to see the card you're purchasing in person. If not, the safest way to to purchase a card graded by one of the Big 3 grading companies (PSA, SGC, Beckett). There's LOTS of other grading companies, many of which flat out suck and cannot be trusted. Also, if you're buying online, it is best to buy from an established dealer with high feedback, although sometimes you can get lucky with a new seller (everyone has to
    start somewhere).

Yet another thing to worry about is faked cards inside faked slabs....yeah, the "hobby" ain't so innocent anymore (as if it ever was lol). Again, buying from respected dealers will ensure you avoid most headaches.

Good luck, hope this helps!