Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

AGain with the Sh topic

Just a rant.
But say you bought 2 items from a seller who list SH as say 6.00 Flat rate priority mail. Great. So I won two items, SH should be 6.00 if your doing flat rate and I know 1 more card isnt bigger than the box. Whats the damage. Oh you save 2.00 on SH with your second purchase on SH new total 10.00. F that. Not paying stick the damn thing in the box and I bet your sending it first class.

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Did you ask before you bid if he would combine and discount the shipping?

Some sellers need to be asked.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, But it did say flat rate and it was over the normal price. I was just shocked he offer a total of 2.00 off. I would be fine if he caharged me a 1.00 but just made me laugh.
  • Options
    Flate rate for a psa card means just 1 I guess. Just plain cheap!!! If Im paying 6.00 for one PSA card and I know I was paying 6.00 for sh for one card come on. And I did spend 175.00 for the 2 cards. Wont deal with again.
  • Options

<< <i>Just a rant. >>

Just a wow from over here, sorry about your three dollars.
  • Options
    I have to agree with nightcrawler. Of course you have the right to not buy from him again, but we are talking about $3 on $175 cards. Is it really that big of a deal? The seller probably made very little money by giving you this service after ebay fees, Paypal fees, time it takes to list the item, package the item.

More and more buyers just expect sellers to just give their items away these days.

I don't know if he will insure the package or not but actual shipping cost with insurance on that order is somewhere around $7 I believe for Priority Mail. In my book charging $3 more is hardly anything to rant about.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have to agree with nightcrawler. Of course you have the right to not buy from him again, but we are talking about $3 on $175 cards. Is it really that big of a deal? The seller probably made very little money by giving you this service after ebay fees, Paypal fees, time it takes to list the item, package the item.

More and more buyers just expect sellers to just give their items away these days.

I don't know if he will insure the package or not but actual shipping cost with insurance on that order is somewhere around $7 I believe for Priority Mail. In my book charging $3 more is hardly anything to rant about. >>

I agree with you. The OP is upset because he feels like the extra card can be put in the flat rate box with the other and he should pay no extra shipping. For $175 I would be happy to pay what he paid. The OP needs to consider possible insurance on this package, which would be, with shipping, approximately $8 -- of course, the seller may not choose to purchase insurance...but that is his gamble (the seller).
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    pay for each auction individually and pay the 6.00 shipping for each.

make sure you inform him/her that you expect them to be shipped separately.

Ding the stars.

lol
  • Options
    Well I was fine with the original 6.00 in the begging and I figured he might take on a buck but to add another 4.00 for a 70.00 card seems a bit steep. Also says nothing about providing insurance or DC, Just flat rate priority mail box. And I dont think it cost 6.00 so I think he or she is still making money off this service/ as I dont feel the buy should give his stuff away like yall think IM saying they should. Me and them are just being cheap I guess. But seems unfair to pay 10.00 to SH 2 PSA cards is all.
  • Options
    You don't have to worry about insurance. It's the seller's responsibility for getting it to you, they'll have to pay if it doesn't make it.
  • Options
    handyman

You claim the two cards cost 175.00 correct?

The seller will pay the post office 5.95 I beleive.

Add DC I think is .80

Insurance on 175.00 has to be at the least 2.00?

We are now at 8.80.

He has offered to ship them to you for 8.00.

If he does not insure them and they do not get to you he will lose a PP case.

Not sure if I have my figures correct here ir not but it appears you are splitting hairs here.

Steve

Edited to add: sorry see he is charging you 10.00, still how much are we really talking about here?

2.00? Surely his time must be worth that.

Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Well I was fine with the original 6.00 in the begging and I figured he might take on a buck but to add another 4.00 for a 70.00 card seems a bit steep. Also says nothing about providing insurance or DC, Just flat rate priority mail box. And I dont think it cost 6.00 so I think he or she is still making money off this service/ as I dont feel the buy should give his stuff away like yall think IM saying they should. Me and them are just being cheap I guess. But seems unfair to pay 10.00 to SH 2 PSA cards is all. >>

Since the seller is on the hook no matter what, you have to expect/accept that insurance is factored into the charge. That being said, go to the PO and inquire about the cost of a flat rate box, delivery confirmation and insurance and then decide whether the $6 initial charge was fair or not. After you find out it would have cost him more to ship then what he charged, would you offer to pay the extra? Now a 2nd card is added and as soon as the charge is $2 over what you paid you are on here complaining about it.
  • Options
    As a profesional paper boy "2.00" is the world to me
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Steve,
    Have you ever tried to ship an insured package to Sweden? It costs alot more than $8.80image

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    I like what nightcrawler stated. Insurance is for the seller. Finally, we are seeing more of those sentiments and rightfully so.

The seller should have specified what his or her policy is on combined shipping. By not stating it leaves the customer in limbo and that's where problems occur. If any potential customer has to ask about combined shipping, the seller is truly missing something in their wording. It almost seems like the seller wants to be purposely ambiguous so he can milk more money out of the customer.

I would simply email the seller again stating that if the two cards can fit in the priority box, you will pay the $6 (how can the two cards not fit?). Also state that he did not specify how combined shipping will be calculated in his auctions, so you assumed that one flat rate is all that was going to be charged considering both items can EASILY fit into the box and not incur any more shipping expense. The issue would be different if these items were irregular sizes. You cannot really combine shipping in some cases because both items may not fit in a box together.

Write it politely. If it works, great, if it doesn't $4 is OK to swallow on such a purchase (but it does not make it right). Just Ding him on the CSR scores for shipping and also communication.

FWIW, FREE SHIPPING policy would work best for sellers in that there is no misunderstanding. Sellers should just raise their prices to compensate.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options

<< <i>Well I was fine with the original 6.00 in the begging and I figured he might take on a buck but to add another 4.00 for a 70.00 card seems a bit steep. Also says nothing about providing insurance or DC, Just flat rate priority mail box. And I dont think it cost 6.00 so I think he or she is still making money off this service/ as I dont feel the buy should give his stuff away like yall think IM saying they should. Me and them are just being cheap I guess. But seems unfair to pay 10.00 to SH 2 PSA cards is all. >>

God forbid a guy makes a buck.

Did you not agree to the terms when you won these items?

The only time I think a buyer can complain is when they pay $3-5 for shipping and the card(s) arrive in a PWE, and in this case it is not the money but the lack of protection for the cards that really ticks me off as I assume for that much shipping the cards are at least going to be in a top loader and bubble mailer.

I remember a few years ago when I was filling out the paperwork for a car the dealer wanted me to buy some sort of protection package for $30-40 extra a month...I asked to have a few minutes to think about it because, over the course of three years, that is a lot of money. The dealer told me if I need time to think about it, then I need to ask myself if I can really afford the car. My girlfriend was with me and I think he was trying to dpeck me into buying it, so I told him that he was right and we left.

edit: I'm just having fun with ya dpeck, don't take it personally image
  • Options

<< <i>

FWIW, FREE SHIPPING policy would work best for sellers in that there is no misunderstanding. Sellers should just raise their prices to compensate. >>

Yea seller's, just raise your prices. This is exactly why we have so many high BIN's or high starting bids on ebay now. You have to wade through all the stuff priced at three times what it is worth these days.

Wouldn't surprise me if the same people who complain about all the high BIN's or no quality items in auction format, are the same ones complaining about a seller charging two or three extra bucks for all the costs that go into selling an item on ebay these days.

Seems like they won't be happy until no one auctions items any more. Then they will be saying "where are all the auctions?"

"Why cant I find good deals anymore?"

Well the answer is, the complainers have forced sellers to price their stuff extremely high. Either that or just give it away with nothing for their time, energy and not to mention money to put the card up for sale in the first place.

The fact of the matter is, a shipping and handling charge is just that. Not just shipping. SOme of the money is used to pay for other expenses the seller has.

Have you ever had a pizza delivered and paid a delivery charge? Guess what? the driver doesn't get all of that money. That's right, the business owner uses some of that money for other expenses they have.

And guess what? It doesn't cost $10 to make a pizza either. More like two or three. WHat happens to the other $7 I paid for my pizza? Yes the owner uses it to pay other expenses like labor, utilities, accounting expenses, payroll taxes, building maintenance, cleaning supplies, rent on the building and so forth.

My point being, how many people complain about paying that extra money for the delivery charge or paying 5 times what it costs to make a pizza? Very few.
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭

<< <i>FWIW, FREE SHIPPING policy would work best for sellers in that there is no misunderstanding. Sellers should just raise their prices to compensate. >>

There you go! I ship everything for free, I ship it the way I want to, cover my rear when I need to, and charge what I want-need for my item.
  • Options
    It's my fault and Canada's.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Well like I said. They put flat rate for SH. Said nothing about adding if you win another card.
  • Options

<< <i>Well like I said. They put flat rate for SH. Said nothing about adding if you win another card. >>

Flat rate for one card right?
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    If a $10 card is selling as a BIN for $30 FREE SHIPPING/HANDLING, it is not compensation for the Shipping. It is called price gouging. I have no control over that as its the seller's call.

What I am saying is that $15 BIN plus FREE Shipping/handling is way to compensate for shipping with a $10 card at stake.

Many consumers have left ebay because of the recession and also because of bad experiences with items not as described and getting no recourse. I think Ebay is more customer friendly now with the SNAD, but those former consumers have not come back.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Mr Nightcrawlerimage
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    If a seller doesn't state a policy in his or her auction on combined shipping, and you still decide to buy multiple items from that seller without asking for clarification, you should not be surprised if you are charged more for shipping than you were expecting.

I see the OP's point, but at the same time he did contribute to his own problem.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options

<< <i>If a seller doesn't state a policy in his or her auction on combined shipping, and you still decide to buy multiple items from that seller without asking for clarification, you should not be surprised if you are charged more for shipping than you were expecting.

I see the OP's point, but at the same time he did contribute to his own problem. >>

It's hard for me to see his point because the OP isn't giving enough information -- I mean, handyman, have the cards even arrived yet?

Is it a matter of throwing a card into a package because there is room for it to fit? Maybe it is for insurance reasons the seller wants the extra shipping?
  • Options

<< <i>It's hard for me to see his point because the OP isn't giving enough information -- I mean, handyman, have the cards even arrived yet?

Is it a matter of throwing a card into a package because there is room for it to fit? Maybe it is for insurance reasons the seller wants the extra shipping? >>

It is my understanding that the expectation is the seller will use a USPS Priority Mail flat rate box. He is saying that two graded cards will fit into any size flat rate box just as easily as one will, with no additional cost to the seller.

edited for grammar
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    What buyers have to realize is that there is a cost of risk associated with all ebay purchases, in addition to all the fees thrown at them. Some of, but not all, of the high BIN are due to this whole shipping thing. People complained about paying an extra buck for shipping, which on some auctions is the only way to make any money. Now that ebay traffic is down, many sellers are insuring their auctions with higher shipping charges. Dont blame them, blame the fees from ebay and paypal theyre trying to recoup. Get ebay to lower fees and I guarantee shipping charges go down.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just got a package in the mail yesterday where the shipping was charged $18 and the seller paid $20 plus the box, his time, and the little popcorn like stuffing.

Sometimes you win on shipping many times you lose.

In all honesty I have lost money severall times shipping things and it is what it is.

If two bucks on a $175 purchase is going to leave a bad taste in your mouth I don't know what to tell you.

• Options

<< <i>I just got a package in the mail yesterday where the shipping was charged $18 and the seller paid $20 plus the box, his time, and the little popcorn like stuffing.

Sometimes you win on shipping many times you lose.

In all honesty I have lost money severall times shipping things and it is what it is.

If two bucks on a $175 purchase is going to leave a bad taste in your mouth I don't know what to tell you. >>

I've sent plenty of packages where I lost money on the shipping.
  • Options
    Came in a recycled bubble mailer first class with DC.
  • Options

<< <i>Came in a recycled bubble mailer first class with DC. >>

Did the seller wrap the bubble mailer around the cards and place them in a flat rate box? If not I would contact the seller and say that you paid for a service they did not provide and request a refund for the difference. I don't think they are under any obligation to agree to this, but as a seller I would.
  • Options

<< <i>Came in a recycled bubble mailer first class with DC. >>

I say we all go up to where ever the heck he lives and beat the living Sweden out of him!

Good for you.
  • Options
    Edit. Thought you said he put them in a box. But no box
  • Options
    Wont contact him. Gonna let it go. Just thought this would happen after he sent me the total. A rant.
  • Options
    Well, at least you can ding his stars. $10 shipping for two cards in a recycled bubble mailer without insurance is high.
  • Options
    Wont ding the stars. Just wont buy from again.
  • Options

<< <i>Wont ding the stars. Just wont buy from again. >>

To me, this is better than dinging his stars. Too many sellers don't realize that bad customer service is just not worth it! He thinks he is being a great business man by promising Priority Mail and then shipping the way he did. In reality he is short terming his business.

It amazes me how many people don't realize things like that leave a bad taste in a buyer's mouth. It amazes me even more how many sellers just don't care.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Wont ding the stars. Just wont buy from again. >>

To me, this is better than dinging his stars. Too many sellers don't realize that bad customer service is just not worth it! He thinks he is being a great business man by promising Priority Mail and then shipping the way he did. In reality he is short terming his business.

It amazes me how many people don't realize things like that leave a bad taste in a buyer's mouth. It amazes me even more how many sellers just don't care. >>

Why not do both?
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    By just letting it go you are allowing him to screw over more and more eBayers which will drive more people from the website.

Ding his damn stars, confront him for a refund of the difference because he lied and if he doesn't make up for the difference neg his ass.

Anything less is just wrong and again you are allowing him to screw others.

As a buyer it is coming to the point that I am so fed up with sellers doing this crap that I may one day snap, bend the damn card in half and send it back to the POS seller.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One time a guy on here from Sweden sold some NM cards, and after stonewalling the buyer for a long time he finally shoved all 7 or 8 into one cardsaver which turned all the cards to crap.

Vad går runt omkring kommer runt omkring.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Vad går runt omkring kommer runt omkring. >>

私はあなたが便利屋との歴史を有するそれを取るか。
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    Nick get over me. You cant have me. Jag elska deg nickie
  • Options

‰ä“¯ˆÓ
  • Options