Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What Am I Missing???

I was messing around looking at different dealers' stores and completed listsings, and it looks like to me that many are loosing money.

For example, one particular dealer (established with over 5000 feedback) had over 3000 current listings. I figured his store fees are around $200 ($50 store fee plus 3000*$0.05) every 30 days. Looking at his completed listings, he's sold 39 items for a grand total of $68 in the last two weeks, so that would average out to under $150 every 30 days. That would show a $50 loss before you even factor in the cost of the cards, final value fees, and paypal fees.

A second one I looked at was another established dealer with around 2500 items listed ($175 fees). He had sold 21 items for $160 dollars in 14 days. It looks like he would have to be loosing money as well after all costs are factored in. (not to mention the time required for 3000 listings)

It seems like at least half of the stores I looked at had similar numbers. I've never had a store before, so am I just not calculating the fees correctly, or am I missing something else? Seems like they would be better off tossing them in the trash. I don't have any interest or time to start a store but would love to hear some feedback on this.

Thanks,
Britt

Comments

• Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    it is not easy.. I have thought about closing my store.. I am hoping www.grandslambids.com takes off...

I so want out of ebay it is sucking me dry
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    A lot of sellers sell their items off eBay.
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    I've said it over and over, but card collectors are going to relegate card collecting to the same as the stamp market if they continue to be such cheap lowballing buyers. Some will come here and say they don't care, that all they care about is the cards, but judging from the income level that most card collectors fit in, they should be worrying about tossing their money away.

There is such a finite demand with more than ample supply and unless someone(not just one, but the marketplace in general) actually cares and is willing to pay a bit more for a card than wanting to pay the same price or cheaper than they could 10 years ago, this market will never solidify. I can thankfully afford to be ok from constantly losing money in cards, but I am cutting my losses and can't even sell PSA 9's football cards from the 60's for $30.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sellers that take a loss on each card they sell make up for it in volume.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've said it over and over, but card collectors are going to relegate card collecting to the same as the stamp market if they continue to be such cheap lowballing buyers. Some will come here and say they don't care, that all they care about is the cards, but judging from the income level that most card collectors fit in, they should be worrying about tossing their money away.

There is such a finite demand with more than ample supply and unless someone(not just one, but the marketplace in general) actually cares and is willing to pay a bit more for a card than wanting to pay the same price or cheaper than they could 10 years ago, this market will never solidify. I can thankfully afford to be ok from constantly losing money in cards, but I am cutting my losses and can't even sell PSA 9's football cards from the 60's for $30. >>

Price of goods is determined by supply and demand. Demand is down, supply is ample so prices go down. Unless/until demand picks up, then sellers will be sucking gas. The question becomes does one take advantage and buy now with the hopes the market turns around? Cards are not food,water,clothing,energy. As for Ebay stores, it seems like I get an offer to try it free for one month every week. Makes me think Ebay is trolling for new customers because Ebay stores are in trouble