Home Sports Talk

3 NFL teams get the local TV market blackout this weekend

By failing to sell out before the deadline:

Oakland - at 3-4 they aren't that horrible this year (by Raiders standards anyway)
Detroit - 1-5 the fans can endure only so much pain and the economy stinks badly in this state
San Diego - 2-5 Chargers are a mess this year.

Comments

• markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>By failing to sell out before the deadline:

Oakland - at 3-4 they aren't that horrible this year (by Raiders standards anyway)
    Detroit - 1-5 the fans can endure only so much pain and the economy stinks badly in this state
    San Diego - 2-5 Chargers are a mess this year. >>

The NFL and NBA are blacked out at my house.
  • The blackout rule is so stupid. In Tampa's case it doesn't increase ticket sales at all. If there's no money for people to spend on football tickets, there won't magically be money for them once the NFL declares it a blackout. It will just increase apathy by alienating fans that can not afford to go.

Here's a link to a story from the St Pete Times about this very topic.
    LINK
  • GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    We do not have to worry about Blackout's in Boston.

• << <i>We do not have to worry about Blackout's in Boston. >>

You also don't have 14% unemployment, and a foreclosure rate double the national average in Boston.
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    You also don't have 14% unemployment, and a foreclosure rate double the national average in Boston.

Yup, same here in NorCal. However, Raiders have had tons of blackouts since moving back to Oakland.

<< <i>

<< <i>We do not have to worry about Blackout's in Boston. >>

You also don't have 14% unemployment, and a foreclosure rate double the national average in Boston. >>

The economy stinks everywhere, but the attendence in Tampa has always been dissappointing. The Rays and Lightning have had some really good seasons, but the following seems to be weak or fall off quickly.

• << <i>You also don't have 14% unemployment, and a foreclosure rate double the national average in Boston.

Yup, same here in NorCal. However, Raiders have had tons of blackouts since moving back to Oakland. >>

Yeah California and Florida have been killed by this. Florida relies on Real Estate, Shipping, and Tourism. All 3 are in the crapper right now and it will take a long time to recover.

The Bucs haven't had a blackout in over 13 years, until this year. The season ticket base dropped like a rock, and I have a hard time believing it was solely because of the poor product on the field. Bucs fans have endured plenty of losing seasons and I don't think just a crappy record could result in a 15k-20k decrease in season ticket sales in just ONE year.

<< <i>

<< <i>You also don't have 14% unemployment, and a foreclosure rate double the national average in Boston.

Yup, same here in NorCal. However, Raiders have had tons of blackouts since moving back to Oakland. >>

Yeah California and Florida have been killed by this. Florida relies on Real Estate, Shipping, and Tourism. All 3 are in the crapper right now and it will take a long time to recover.

The Bucs haven't had a blackout in over 13 years, until this year. The season ticket base dropped like a rock, and I have a hard time believing it was solely because of the poor product on the field. Bucs fans have endured plenty of losing seasons and I don't think just a crappy record could result in a 15k-20k decrease in season ticket sales in just ONE year. >>

How much does the fact that you have a big college football following? Not that we do not have college football or basketball, but our teams that have the biggest followings are the four major professional sports.

• << <i>

<< <i>

You also don't have 14% unemployment, and a foreclosure rate double the national average in Boston. >>

The economy stinks everywhere, but the attendence in Tampa has always been dissappointing. The Rays and Lightning have had some really good seasons, but the following seems to be weak or fall off quickly. >>

The Rays suck you win that one. I can't argue that at all. The Yankees have a stadium in Tampa while the Rays are stuck in St Pete....that says a lot in my opinion.

The Lightning however...The lowest the Lightning have finished in attendance in the past 10 seasons is 25th with that coming 10 years ago in 2000-2001 when they iced one of the worst teams in franchise history. Since then they have finished 20th, 16th, 12th, 2nd, 3rd, 8th, 21st, 21st, and are currently in 21st in attendance this season. Mind you, during the seasons after they won the cup and had a real chance at turning the bandwagon fans into die hards, the team was sold to a couple idiots that immediately turned the team into a piece of crap and almost killed the franchise all together. The team went from playoffs to bottom 3 for the past 3 seasons. However, despite having one of the most god awful teams in the NHL every year as the 29th or 30th "best" team, attendance still leveled out at 21st, right around 15-16k a game. This is Tampa FLORIDA, we do not have backyard rinks and hockey is still relatively new to the area so I consider the fact that despite being in an awful position, we managed to still be in the top 2/3 in attendance as a success. Places like NEW JERSEY, and Long Island can't even say they've achieved that recently despite New Jersey winning the division and making the playoffs nearly every year.

This year the team was sold, to a part owner of the Boston Red Sox mind you, who immediately overhauled the franchise making renovations and for the first time in years actually showing the people of Tampa that he cares about winning. This year, we are currently averaging 15k and change, despite 4 of our 5 home games being played on school nights. The only weekend game has been the season opener against Atlanta, which saw 19,791 tickets sold (aka a sellout) on the SAME NIGHT the Rays were playing a playoff game in Texas. Also, the Rays drew 17k when they clinched a playoff spot, the Lightning will match that on a Friday night against Anaheim.

In 2002-2003 and 2003-2004 the Bruins finished 21st in attendance in consecutive seasons, despite being a playoff team. They followed that performance up by finishing 25th and 26th in attendance from 06-07 to 07-08, years where they both finished last in the division and went to the playoffs (07-08). I understand it was Red Sox mania up there during those years, but their attendance numbers look a lot like a certain team I've seen before that finished 21st and 25th during mediocre years (and in Boston's case, playoff years)...hmmm...

Have I mentioned yet that the Bruins are an Original 6 team while the Lightning aren't even 20 years old? Let's put it this way, the Lightning are 18 years younger than your last Stanley Cup.
    You guys have your Bobby Orr's and Phil Esposito's. The Lightning's versions of those guys (Lecavalier, St Louis) are still playing.
    What about the fact Boston is older than the freaking United States?? Your city (incorporation date) is older than the STATE of Florida.
    Or Boston has an MSA of 4.5 million people withe effective mass transportation while Tampa's MSA is 2.7 million with little mass transport.

Look I'm not going to argue Boston vs. Tampa for who has better fans. Boston has dedicated tremendous fans, right up there with the best in the nation. I'm just tired of the legitimate fans of Tampa sports teams being crapped on by Northerners who all end up moving down here anyways.

Oh yeah, back to football.

• << <i>

How much does the fact that you have a big college football following? Not that we do not have college football or basketball, but our teams that have the biggest followings are the four major professional sports. >>

Not really sure to be honest. I'm sure it plays some role. My school plays at Raymond James Stadium just like the Bucs and only are drawing about 5,000 less than them per game this year at this point. Tickets are a fraction of the price and the quality of play may be just as good image

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

The economy stinks everywhere, but the attendence in Tampa has always been dissappointing. The Rays and Lightning have had some really good seasons, but the following seems to be weak or fall off quickly. >>

The Rays suck you win that one. I can't argue that at all. The Yankees have a stadium in Tampa while the Rays are stuck in St Pete....that says a lot in my opinion.

The Lightning however...The lowest the Lightning have finished in attendance in the past 10 seasons is 25th with that coming 10 years ago in 2000-2001 when they iced one of the worst teams in franchise history. Since then they have finished 20th, 16th, 12th, 2nd, 3rd, 8th, 21st, 21st, and are currently in 21st in attendance this season. Mind you, during the seasons after they won the cup and had a real chance at turning the bandwagon fans into die hards, the team was sold to a couple idiots that immediately turned the team into a piece of crap and almost killed the franchise all together. The team went from playoffs to bottom 3 for the past 3 seasons. However, despite having one of the most god awful teams in the NHL every year as the 29th or 30th "best" team, attendance still leveled out at 21st, right around 15-16k a game. This is Tampa FLORIDA, we do not have backyard rinks and hockey is still relatively new to the area so I consider the fact that despite being in an awful position, we managed to still be in the top 2/3 in attendance as a success. Places like NEW JERSEY, and Long Island can't even say they've achieved that recently despite New Jersey winning the division and making the playoffs nearly every year.

This year the team was sold, to a part owner of the Boston Red Sox mind you, who immediately overhauled the franchise making renovations and for the first time in years actually showing the people of Tampa that he cares about winning. This year, we are currently averaging 15k and change, despite 4 of our 5 home games being played on school nights. The only weekend game has been the season opener against Atlanta, which saw 19,791 tickets sold (aka a sellout) on the SAME NIGHT the Rays were playing a playoff game in Texas. Also, the Rays drew 17k when they clinched a playoff spot, the Lightning will match that on a Friday night against Anaheim.

In 2002-2003 and 2003-2004 the Bruins finished 21st in attendance in consecutive seasons, despite being a playoff team. They followed that performance up by finishing 25th and 26th in attendance from 06-07 to 07-08, years where they both finished last in the division and went to the playoffs (07-08). I understand it was Red Sox mania up there during those years, but their attendance numbers look a lot like a certain team I've seen before that finished 21st and 25th during mediocre years (and in Boston's case, playoff years)...hmmm...

Have I mentioned yet that the Bruins are an Original 6 team while the Lightning aren't even 20 years old? Let's put it this way, the Lightning are 18 years younger than your last Stanley Cup.
    You guys have your Bobby Orr's and Phil Esposito's. The Lightning's versions of those guys (Lecavalier, St Louis) are still playing.
    What about the fact Boston is older than the freaking United States?? Your city (incorporation date) is older than the STATE of Florida.
    Or Boston has an MSA of 4.5 million people withe effective mass transportation while Tampa's MSA is 2.7 million with little mass transport.

Look I'm not going to argue Boston vs. Tampa for who has better fans. Boston has dedicated tremendous fans, right up there with the best in the nation. I'm just tired of the legitimate fans of Tampa sports teams being crapped on by Northerners who all end up moving down here anyways.

Oh yeah, back to football. >>

The 2007 and 2008 were dominated by the Red Sox and Celtic's championships. The Celtic's championship has definately played a part in the Bruins attendence. The Patriots, Celtic's and Sox bang out the joint every night. There is always one team that suffers when they are not playing well. If the C's do not have a good year they might flip flop with the B's for attendence.
    Don't forget with referencing the Devils and Islanders they have to compete with the Rangers and Sabres.

<< <i>

<< <i>

How much does the fact that you have a big college football following? Not that we do not have college football or basketball, but our teams that have the biggest followings are the four major professional sports. >>

Not really sure to be honest. I'm sure it plays some role. My school plays at Raymond James Stadium just like the Bucs and only are drawing about 5,000 less than them per game this year at this point. Tickets are a fraction of the price and the quality of play may be just as good image >>

I was talking about the U, FSU and Florida.
  • I know Boston teams pack the place. With the history those teams have in that city, PLUS they won championships recently, that's a no brainer. However if you go back to when the Sox sucked, you'd find that they had mediocre attendance compared to what they have now. Look at when the Celtics suck, their attendance was mediocre. When the Bruins suck, their attendance is mediocre.

Fact is Boston has great fans but they like winners just like everyone else. I'm not making any claims but I would be REALLY interested to see how Boston would do if they had some of the teams places like Tampa, Cleveland, Kansas City, etc have put out there. Boston has only had to put up with one mediocre team at a time lately. I want to see what happens if they would suddenly all become BAD.

I knew I remembered seeing this. A guy wrote a book on it.... LINK

Boston is a fantastic sports city but they are more similar to most markets than people understand.

<< <i>
    Don't forget with referencing the Devils and Islanders they have to compete with the Rangers and Sabres. >>

Really, the New Jersey Devils and Islanders compete with the Buffalo Sabres for fan support? My roommate is from Rochester, NY and my uncle lives there. It's a 7 hour drive from Buffalo to NYC so that's what, an 8+ hour drive to New Jersey? That's like saying the Lightning compete with the Thrashers or the Bucs with the Falcons for attendance.

And I realize you were talking about the Big 3 but figured I'd share how college football in Tampa compares given the fact that they play in the same exact stadium. And I'm sure college football plays a small role but every friend of mine that goes to FSU, UF, etc also follows the NFL closely and are Dolphins or Bucs fans.

• PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    A few years ago my buddy and I drove up to Montreal from Raleigh to catch the last Canadiens game of the season (vs Buffalo). It was on a Saturday night and we spent the night in Montreal and headed out the next morning. We had to drive through New Jersey and I turned on the radio about noon and prepared to listen to the Devils game against Boston. This was the last regular season game and the Devils would be #2 seed in the East with a victory by virtue of winning the division, or as low as a 7 seed if things did not fall in their favor. This was a VERY IMPORTANT GAME for the Devils. As we listened we heard the announcer say "Good seats are still available". So, we were only a few minutes away, so we decided to go. We parked and walked up to the arena and got lower level seats. There were a number of empty seats around us in all directions. The economy was not in the crapper at the time. The Devils fans just didn't go to the game. As I spoke with a number of the other fans, they told me this was routine. Now, as far as Tampa Bay Bucs fans go, I will support them. I lived in Florida for a number of years. I could never get Bucs tickets. I always had to buy them from a private party. This year is the first I have heard of them not selling out.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.

<< <i>I know Boston teams pack the place. With the history those teams have in that city, PLUS they won championships recently, that's a no brainer. However if you go back to when the Sox sucked, you'd find that they had mediocre attendance compared to what they have now. Look at when the Celtics suck, their attendance was mediocre. When the Bruins suck, their attendance is mediocre.

Fact is Boston has great fans but they like winners just like everyone else. I'm not making any claims but I would be REALLY interested to see how Boston would do if they had some of the teams places like Tampa, Cleveland, Kansas City, etc have put out there. Boston has only had to put up with one mediocre team at a time lately. I want to see what happens if they would suddenly all become BAD.

I knew I remembered seeing this. A guy wrote a book on it.... LINK

Boston is a fantastic sports city but they are more similar to most markets than people understand

Alot of it comes down to ownership and the Boston teams have good owners. Don't get me wrong, the ownership gets rewarded very well financially. Can the same be said by the Tampa teams? I think the Florida teams would be better served if they got rid of either the Panthers or Lightning and either the Marlins or Rays. Attendance most likely would go up in both venues. Basketball and football are popular enough that they can have two teams in the state.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For downstate New York hockey fans, the Sabres may as well be in Canada...no one roots for them or watches them here.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    I should have just said the Rangers, but I tossed in the Sabres.
  • CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    I wish that they would blackout the Falcons. I would like to see a different team.
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    You can have the Carolina Panthers. They (sadly) never get blacked out.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.