Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Basic Walter Payton Set now includes his '88 RB card!

Isn't a record breaker card considered a "special card" of a player? And if so, doesn't that go against the rules of a basic player set?

Thoughts...

Comments

• Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Yes and yes. Email Cosetta.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    I think the decision was made recently to include RB or highlight type cards from the player's last year if no "regular issue" cards exist for that same year.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    Until PSA taught me otherwise, RBs, Hightlight cards and the like, were basic cards.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    The OJ Simpson basic set is full of those cards.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    To me, "basic" means it is part of the regularly-issued set, so All-star cards, Record Breakers, etc. would be included in a "basic" set. The master sets include all of the regional, McDonald's, etc. type cards. That's just me, tho.
  • Options
    SheamasterSheamaster Posts: 542 ✭✭✭
    Not sure how PSA defines a basic set, but IMO that card has no business in that set. That's what the master set is for.
  • Options
    lbcoach20lbcoach20 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭
    Well I have the basic set and was around 14-16 depending on who puts it together. Then all of a suddent PSA puts the RB card in. Ok, I am just going to buy one on the bay and be done with it. The card in a 10 sold for $10-15 or so. Well the only one in auction format has a bid of $9.99. No big deal.....I put in a bid of $17 and change. Whoa, I am outbid. I up it to $19 and change. Again I was outbid. It sells for $33+. Well I decide I will put in a best offer on a 9 just to get it and move on.....they are asking $19.99 or BO. I put in $11. No go. I put in $15. No go again. This card is not worth that much! I just went to a local mall show tonight and bought a mint one for $.50. I will sub it and probably get a 9 or 10. What a pain in the arse.......just because it was added to the BASIC set. Oh the power of the REGISTRY! Crazy.

Scott
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Brooks Robinson's Basic Set has always had the 1978 Record Breaker card since there was never a base card in that set. The Walter Payton set seems to have the 1988 RB in it for the same reason.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    In that case, PSA should be consistent and do it for all players. I checked and his '80 Topps Highlight isn't in the Lou Brock Basic Set.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.