Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Got to Love Ebay (re: Unpaid Items and 2nd Chance Offerings)

I sold an item on Saturday. The winning bidder has zero feedback. After waiting five days for payment, including sending multiple emails and invoices, I heard nothing. So, this evening, I offered the item in a 2nd-chance auction to the runner-up bidder. The bidder accepted the buy-it-now almost immediately and sent me paypal within 10 minutes. I also opened an unpaid item case in the resolution center with the original bidder. It said I could come back on November 1 and close the case and get a final fee value credit.

Everything ok, right?

Wrong.

I checked my email a bit later, and the original buyer all of a sudden decided to pay. So, now I've been paid twice via paypal by two people. I log into Paypal and refund the buyer's payment (the original buyer with zero feedback). Paypal decides that they are going to keep 31 cents of the refund though for their efforts. I called Paypal and worked that out pretty quickly on the phone, and they immediately refunded the money.

Now, back to Ebay. They've closed the dispute and I can't reopen it since the original buyer paid (albeit five days late). I'm on chat right now waiting to work this out.

My question- why wouldn't Ebay close the original transaction after I offered the item in a 2nd chance auction? They don't expect someone to wait seven-to-ten days to offer an item as a 2nd-chance, right? It seems many bidders, by that point, would change their mind or possibly bid and win another similar item.

Comments

• Options
    MphilkingMphilking Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    Ebay gives the original buyer time to pay for their auction. Then you'd have to wait on that original buyer. If they decided to not pay for the auction they won, a 2nd chance offer looks a little suspicious and is untimely. Most of the times when this happens to me, the item doesn't sell since the 2nd chance buyer loses interest. I tend to give a couple of weeks for payment with a couple of reminders, but I'm past two weeks on two items I sold and both buyers have over 600 feedback.
    Best of luck resolving it with the original buyer.
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't have offered the 2nd chance until the completion of the unpaid buyer process with the original buyer.
  • Options
    I got a second change offer the other day...and I think the seller was shilling. All auctions were private...yeah, I know...wanted the card.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I sold an item on Saturday. The winning bidder has zero feedback. After waiting five days for payment, including sending multiple emails and invoices, I heard nothing. So, this evening, I offered the item in a 2nd-chance auction to the runner-up bidder. The bidder accepted the buy-it-now almost immediately and sent me paypal within 10 minutes. I also opened an unpaid item case in the resolution center with the original bidder. It said I could come back on November 1 and close the case and get a final fee value credit.

Everything ok, right?

Wrong.

I checked my email a bit later, and the original buyer all of a sudden decided to pay. So, now I've been paid twice via paypal by two people. I log into Paypal and refund the buyer's payment (the original buyer with zero feedback). Paypal decides that they are going to keep 31 cents of the refund though for their efforts. I called Paypal and worked that out pretty quickly on the phone, and they immediately refunded the money.

Now, back to Ebay. They've closed the dispute and I can't reopen it since the original buyer paid (albeit five days late). I'm on chat right now waiting to work this out.

My question- why wouldn't Ebay close the original transaction after I offered the item in a 2nd chance auction? They don't expect someone to wait seven-to-ten days to offer an item as a 2nd-chance, right? It seems many bidders, by that point, would change their mind or possibly bid and win another similar item. >>

I think they have seven days...?
  • Options
    I think ebay changed it to 4 days after aution end.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

It's a mess.

Always wait four days, file the NPB at the end of the 4th day,
    close the NPB before you make the second chance offer.

Obviously, 2nd chance offers don't usually help sellers after many
    days have gone by. But, that is just a "flaw" in the EBAY game,
    and there is no way around it.

If "pre-registered automatic payments" are ever applied to
    auctions, lots of these problems would be avoided.

If sellers would be more patient, many such problems would
    be avoided, too.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    So let me get this straight. You only waited 5 days, and in that time you sent MULTIPLE e-mail and invoices? Harass much? You should wait at least 7 days.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    ISTHTY
  • Options
    onebamafanonebamafan Posts: 1,318 ✭✭
    I have no problem with this sellers actions..............time to move on if no communication or payment is made within 4 days. On the downside, since he paid he can give you an unwarranted negative, unless thats changed recently. A situation which is completely and utterly ridiculous once you file a NPB.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have no problem with this sellers actions..............time to move on if no communication or payment is made within 4 days. On the downside, since he paid he can give you an unwarranted negative, unless thats changed recently. A situation which is completely and utterly ridiculous once you file a NPB. >>

//////////////////////////////////////////////////

It is ridiculous.

BOTH buyers, at this moment, can conceivably leave NEGs. One
    might or might not be removed.

BUT, sellers are supposed to know the rules before they jump in.

Filing rapid NPBs is extremely risky. Patience is good.

Buyers will ALWAYS be able to leave FB, even when an NPB has
    been filed against them; provided they respond correctly to the
    NPB. That is appropriate.

If I buy something, come to this site and learn that the seller is
    peddling fake merch, I decide not to pay, the seller files an NPB,
    I should still be able to leave FB. That is never going to change.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

Was the buyer inconsiderate? Yes, goes without saying, but at the same time a seller must make

sure one transaction is completed before another is initiated. In this case it appears that was not done.

Steve

Good for you.