Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1972 Topps Baseball Yellow Backed Cards???

Hello,

I am a relative newbie to 72 Topps baseball collecting. I purchased a raw set a few years ago and have selectively had a few cards graded from it with fairly positive results. 3 of the cards in this set, which happen to be all high numbers, have a yellow background color instead of the normal orange background color on the back. They have the T.C.G. PRTD in USA copyright. So, I assume they are not an OPC version. Has anyone come across this variation and/or know its origin?

Thanks in advance,
Dave
Dave

Comments

• Still looking for info from any 72 Topps experts on this topic.
    Thanks in advance,
    Dave
    Dave
  • Dave - I am a novice with '72 Topps but is it possible that it is simply fading or printed light on the original ink? - Kevin
  • I don't think it is fading. The 3 cards I have all have this consistent yellow color. At first, I thought they were an OPC version or something like that, but OPC only goes to 525 and the copyright is Topps. Possibly someone might know of a 'special issue' or something similar, which might make the cards interesting. Otherwise, it is possible the printer ran out of magenta ink and pumped out yellow backs for a little while.
    Dave