Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1919KN penny

Just sold on ebay by the seller formerly known as "gg".

I'm surprised it didn't go for more, actually. There aren't a lot of these about, except in flattened condition. Did you get it, 7 jags?

==> Link <==
Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.

Comments

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I have three of them with two considerably better already. That one looks a lot like the "sorry" 19H I have which needs an upgrade.

I am having a hard time fathoming the "new" price of bun and later pennies, esp. given the price of the recently closed 1869 at 2560 pounds that was evidently a retread of the Croydon lot that supposedly sold for 1200 pounds.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Dipped - AU details...............looks like a spotted leopard.

Does CGS slab 'worked' bronzes? PCGS would definitely put in a "Genuine" slab, IMHO, that is! image
  • Options
    Yes, that is not solely natural change to the coin's surface in my opinion either...Olive oil?? Mineral oil? Possible, don't know but have seen similar results with the former as the acidic component of the oil seems to cause alteration of coin surface.
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    PCGS would definitely put in a "Genuine" slab, IMHO, that is!

I never said it was "slabbable," just that there are not a lot of high grade ones about. Several of the gg coins I have seen have problems - and those aren't always revealed in the descriptions.

There are no 1919KNs graded by PCGS. I don't have access to NGC pops - are there any over there?
  • Options
    Yes, I thought about dropping off mine to PCGS at the Baltimore show and bring in some new numbers...
    Nice ones are just that, nice, and variable oxidation to the surface leaves appearances that are acceptable to some and not to others IMO.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    NGC has one in 62 BN and one in 64 BN. And personally I just thought there was something wrong with the surfaces on that coin and was not willing to bid on it.
  • Options
    The same dealer won a 1903 Halfcrown from a seller on Ebay.US (auction #360300488245) for just over $1000. (using a private feedback account). He relisted the same coin on Ebay.Uk (auction #230534084292) and it brought over 2800 Pounds (about $4500)! Not bad, huh? Now you can't fault a guy for making a profit but...the coin was listed as AU+ (and was properly graded) when he bought it and he sold it as a Superb Uncirculated coin. So much for conservative English grading. He's been doing this for a long time and it amazes me that his buyers haven't caught on (or don't seem to care that they could have bought it for 25 cents on the dollar). Oh well.
  • Options
    The same dealer won a 1903 Halfcrown from a seller on Ebay.US (auction #360300488245) for just over $1000. (using a private feedback account). He relisted the same coin on Ebay.Uk (auction #230534084292) and it brought over 2800 Pounds (about $4500)! Not bad, huh? Now you can't fault a guy for making a profit but...the coin was listed as AU+ (and was properly graded) when he bought it and he sold it as a Superb Uncirculated coin. So much for conservative English grading. He's been doing this for a long time and it amazes me that his buyers haven't caught on (or don't seem to care that they could have bought it for 25 cents on the dollar). Oh well.

I have a similar tale with a coin I sold earlier in 2010. That's just one of the reasons why he's not allowed to bid on my auctions anymore. It doesn't bother me that someone makes money on coins I sell, but this is different.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1903 Half Crown is very tough- surprised it initially only went for 1000

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    I have a similar tale with a coin I sold earlier in 2010. That's just one of the reasons why he's not allowed to bid on my auctions anymore. It doesn't bother me that someone makes money on coins I sell, but this is different.

I too have had additional experience with this dealer (or I probably wouldn't have posted). He contacted me inquiring about my "lowest price" for a better date graded Edward VII Halfcrown I had up on Ebay. I politely declined to negotiate, at that time, because I felt my starting price was reasonable and I never end auctions early unless there is an error on my part. When the auction ended without a bid he contacted me again with an offer that was acceptable and I offered to put the coin back up, at that price, on a buy it now for him. When he didn't respond after after a time I contacted him and he replied that he was no longer interested in the coin. I never knew if he was holding out for me to offer to sell the coin off Ebay (or just yanking my chain) but I put him on block and was done with him. Later I saw a series of rants he posted on a UK website telling americans NOT to slab OUR coins so I was left to ponder his motives.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a similar tale with a coin I sold earlier in 2010. That's just one of the reasons why he's not allowed to bid on my auctions anymore. It doesn't bother me that someone makes money on coins I sell, but this is different.

I too have had additional experience with this dealer (or I probably wouldn't have posted). He contacted me inquiring about my "lowest price" for a better date graded Edward VII Halfcrown I had up on Ebay. I politely declined to negotiate, at that time, because I felt my starting price was reasonable and I never end auctions early unless there is an error on my part. When the auction ended without a bid he contacted me again with an offer that was acceptable and I offered to put the coin back up, at that price, on a buy it now for him. When he didn't respond after after a time I contacted him and he replied that he was no longer interested in the coin. I never knew if he was holding out for me to offer to sell the coin off Ebay (or just yanking my chain) but I put him on block and was done with him. Later I saw a series of rants he posted on a UK website telling americans NOT to slab OUR coins so I was left to ponder his motives. >>

His motives are quite apparent, no? Quite akin to the vast majority of U.S. dealers in the mid-80s when the TPGs were born, he overgrades or 'pushes' the TPG grading envelope. It would appear a vast percentage of UK collectors (like the Yanks of 25+ years ago) can't ascertain the true grade, and/or value of given raw coins, and so they dance merrily down the road with a pocketful of sixpence worth scarcely a thruppence.
  • Options
    Later I saw a series of rants he posted on a UK website telling americans NOT to slab OUR coins so I was left to ponder his motives.

Do you remember the site or have a link to that?
  • Options
    Do you remember the site or have a link to that?

It was on Predecimal.com and although I consider this an excellet website Chris cannot control everything that is said in the chatrooms. It's been a couple of years back.
  • Options
    Agreed - excellent site. I sometimes lurk or post there. I probably missed that discussion.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just curious- which Edward VII Half Crown was it?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Just curious- which Edward VII Half Crown was it?

1909 NGC AU58.