Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Question about TPG's grading counterfeit cards

hypothetically speaking of course image if one or more of the 3 major grading companies had numerous copies of a particular counterfeited card in their slabs how would you go about proving this and correcting it? again hypothetically speaking image

Comments

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I suppose my first step would be to call one of them up on the phone and explain why I felt that way.

Steve
    Good for you.

• << <i>I suppose my first step would be to call one of them up on the phone and explain why I felt that way.

Steve >>

I already tried that, all i got was "not in out slabs" and a bold face lie about population numbers.
    Ok assuming you spoke with a low level flunkie, I'd ask to speak to a supervisor.

If that failed I'd keep calling until I reached the top, if all that failed. I'd post about it here.

Then when that even failed I'd wait a few months and post it hypothetically. image

Seriously, if it meant really a lot to me and I had some serious money involved I guess I'd call

an attorney and get some legal advice regarding the matter. If I did not have much invested in it

I'd simply not worry about it.

Not sure what else to tell you but I feel your pain.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • I'd change the avatar to something ... more appropriate.

You own one or more of these cards?

Post in on message boards-

Cardboardconnection.com
    Cardboardtalk.com
    Cardcollectorsworld.com
    Cardinformant.com
    Cloutsnchara.com
    Freedomcardboard.com
    Hobbyinsider.net
    Hobbykings.com
    Hockeyden.net
    Hoopography.com
    Ozcardtrader.com.au
    Sportscardforum.com
    Sportscardfreaks.com
    Sportscardhaven.com
    Sportscollectorsdaily.com
    Thebenchtrading.com
    Thetradersarena.com
    Traderretreat.com
    Tradingcardcentral.com
    Ultimatecardboard.com

Contact sites/blogs

WaxHeaven
    SCU (Sportscardsuncensored)
    SportsCollectorsDaily

etc.
    imageimageimage
  • wallst32wallst32 Posts: 513 ✭✭
    Well the first step is providing the evidence. You can't just call them up and say you made this error, by default they're going to stand by their product and service. You need to show them a counterfeit card, a genuine card, note the differences, and then provide examples of the counterfeit version in their slabs.

• << <i>

If that failed I'd keep calling until I reached the top, if all that failed. I'd post about it here. >>

Then wait for the poof.
  • fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    There is really not a whole lot you can do, PSA will not buy back all those fake Chong McGwire cards. They dropped the ball on that and thats not the first time...
  • DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    I thought they were suppose to buy all those fake Chong cards back, or else what is the point of slabbing?
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee

• << <i>There is really not a whole lot you can do, PSA will not buy back all those fake Chong McGwire cards. They dropped the ball on that and thats not the first time... >>

thankyou, at least i now know i'm not crazy. image

• << <i>Ok assuming you spoke with a low level flunkie >>

I'm sure you send $100 plus cards to them to have graded and complain when you don't get the grade you want. I suppose anyone that provides a service to you is also a low level flunkie? Cashiers, operators, customer assistance? Maybe even the moderators on this board?

Edited to add: OK, I read the "seriously" part. Peace be with you all. image
  • I think the better question with that card, is if PSA bought it back from you, would you get enough to cover the shipping it to PSA to begin with?
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭✭
    I thought this thread was about Emmitt Smith Burger King rookies.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."

<< <i>I'm sure you send $100 plus cards to them to have graded and complain when you don't get the grade you want. I suppose anyone that provides a service to you is also a low level flunkie? Cashiers, operators, customer assistance? Maybe even the moderators on this board? >>

1......No, never complained, grades are what they are. I did complain once when I felt a few cards were man handled and the grades were reduced because of that.
    Generally the grades I get are in line with what I expected.

2........No, not anyone, but I sure have had my fair share of them. Probably split along the lines of 50/50 image

3.......No, the mods generally do a decent job. That can be attested by the persons who have been banned from here.

Peace be with you too. (Said in all seriousness)

Steve

Good for you.