Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Considering buying a 72 baseball set thoughts on this offer

Hi,

I have a 72 baseball set, but its mostly vg/ex to ex/mt (at best). Most HOF'ers are vg/ex. I would like to upgrade it, and have an opportunity to pickup a complete raw set for $1000, talked him down from $1200....wondering if you guys could give me advice on if this is a decent deal for the condition (which i'm putting at ex to ex/mt). Below is a scan. i have others, but i didn't want to post scan-heavy. the other key cards are roughly in the same shape as these.

Thanks for your input.

Comments

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not too bad, IMHO, but maybe a little high still. I think it's in the ballpark.

If you merge the two and could sell the lower grade one at a decent price ($500?) it may be worth your while.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    jivanjivan Posts: 1,009
    just wondering why you would ask a board of strangers on what you should do with your collection
    always looking for 1969 graded basketball
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I think it's called asking for some advice.

But I could be wrong.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    I thought i was fairly clear in my request. I respect the board's collective advice. Many of these posters are people i have interacted with for many years...so i wouldn't even consider them strangers, although I've never met most of them.
  • Options

<< <i>just wondering why you would ask a board of strangers on what you should do with your collection >>

WHAT, NO CAPS LOCK?
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    nice cards, Jim. Considering what Mike said, monetarily would it be worth it for you to combine the two sets and flip the lower grade one? If you could get $500 out of the 2nd set, you could have a pretty nice '72 set for $500. Considering how long I've been chasing (not too aggressively mind you) the last couple dozen high numbers in crap grade, if I could have gotten a VG-EX set for $500, there's a good chance I would have jumped at it.
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭

<< <i>just wondering why you would ask a board of strangers on what you should do with your collection >>

imageimage

There are some mofos here for sure, myself included, but this is the first place I would take and ask for advice on pricing baseball sets like this.
  • Options
    I am not opposed to mixing, cherry picking and flipping. I've been doing that with a boatload of 73s lately (as mike knows!). I've built 4 sets, sold 1, and could probably piece together another one without needing too many cards. Its not a great time to sell them, so i am just sitting on them for awhile, but yeah, thats the idea....combine and flip.
  • Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Might be my favorite set of ALL TIME.
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭

Hilarious, good thing you never ask about the value of a set

Would have to rate at least a 9 on the Hypocrisy Scale
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    That is some serious hypocrisy.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Hilarious, good thing you never ask about the value of a set

Would have to rate at least a 9 on the Hypocrisy Scale >>

Nice catch! I tip my hat to you.
  • Options
    guys, thats an awesome catch.

Does anyone think this is too high of a price or just about right? I'm not thinking its "too good to pass up".
  • Options

jivan - just wondering why you're so much of a knob.

Is there a right side of your bed? It seems like you're regularly going out of your way to try to belittle people.

Maybe you should find a hobby.

parkerj, sorry I can't help on the price, but whatever you do, good luck.
  • Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i bought two sets of everyone of my 1970 to 1979 sets and picked out the best and sold the rest. it is the best way to build a set.
  • Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i also was wondering if you coud get the price to come down to 800.00 the set would be an even better buy.
  • Options
    yeah, i'm hemming and hawing, and he hasn't budged any further, i think i've tapped him out.
  • Options
    $1000 is pretty high IMO. You should be able to find a pretty nice set in the $800 to $900 range
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given that the set is not a high-end one by any means, I would try to talk the guy down another couple hundred ($800 as others mentioned) and put the two sets together. Even if you sell the spare for $400, you've still done well.

Tabe
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People are saying things like spend $1,000 and then combine the 2 sets and sell the lesser one for $500 and you only spent $500.

Well, unless the first set was gifted to him, or he collected it as a child, he is into that set for some money as well, and that has to figure in to the financial equasion too since he will not own it anymore.
  • Options
    Nick, good point. I actually did collect this set as a child, bought about 1000 cards from this set off of a neighborhood kid back in ~79 for $5. Most were in VG or worse, looking back at it. I replaced a bunch of the bad ones back in the early early 80s....but most all the stars have a small surface crease here or there...many of the commons were replaced with ex/mt or better back at mall shows in the early 80s when they were all cheap. So I'm not into the existing set for much cabbage.