Home Precious Metals
Options

How bout some RESPECT for Platinum!?

MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
Over $1700 in the after-market metals market.

Gotta love this metal that just keeps on giving back to it's believers.

When I hold my 2000 MS69 $100, 'reverse proof for that matter, in my chunky hand, I quiver with appreciation for over $1700 in stunning metal!

Give it up!

Miles
Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.

Comments

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah platinum - one of my 3 favorite metals!

Family photo, taken sometime back in 2006, before I got serious about platinum.image

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>Ah platinum - one of my 3 favorite metals!

Family photo, taken sometime back in 2006, before I got serious about platinum.image

image >>

Are you $*#&@$# kidding me?
  • Options
    meluaufeetmeluaufeet Posts: 751 ✭✭✭
    Dang J...

What it be like

Another stack I can't afford
  • Options

<< <i>
    Another stack I can't afford >>

Ive SERIOUSLY looked into this option. The biggest problem I found, was trying to determine how much each converter held, for pricing prior to "extraction".
  • Options
    Not trying to P**s on anyones parade BUT there is no retail & dealers buy it for $50-100 under spot.

Jus my experience

Anyone wants to I will trade my platinum for your silver, gold
    Singapore & Hong Kong March/April
    Hong kong/Long Beach JUNE Table #838
    MACAU
    emgworldwide@gmail.com
    Cell: 512.808.3197
    EMERGING MARKET GROUP
    PCGS, NGC, CCE & NCS, CGC, PSA, Auth. Dealer
  • Options
    Whoa Jmski, are those all yours or do you share some of those with your "Family"??

Which is your favorite?

Miles
  • Options
    Thanks MrOrganic, my parade now smells like P**s in the morning!

Seriously, that is why Platinum is more expensive than Gold, to make up for the spread.

Miles
  • Options

<< <i>Not trying to P**s on anyones parade BUT there is no retail & dealers buy it for $50-100 under spot.

Jus my experience

Anyone wants to I will trade my platinum for your silver, gold >>

While I agree with this statement, I also have noted that platinum doesnt take the downward swings that gold/silver does. Now, I dont follow platinum, but that is what I seem to notice in the little I look at spot.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sold some raw 1 ozers to Silvertowne at the St. Louis show a week ago for $1715 when spot was around $1690. Granted, the other dealers were only offering spot at the time, but I had no problem finding willing buyers.

Miles, yes those are still my collection except that I added a bunch more in '07 & '08, then I slacked off in '09 & '10. My favorites, in no uncertain terms are the ones that I have the fewest of - the Uncs from '97 through '03 - they are simply beautiful coins with the right mix of brilliant and frosted devices. The regular proofs are nice, too. The unc coins, the burnished coins and finally, the reverse proof follow - in terms of appearance - my opinion.

Are you $*#&@$# kidding me?

Why, thank you! I never get to show this stuff off much.

Anyone wants to I will trade my platinum for your silver, gold

To which I must reply - do you have any 1/4 oz., 1/2 oz., or 1 oz. PCGS MS-69 Plats from '97 through '03 that I might need? I'd be willing to discuss a trade, value for value, platinum for gold. I have a mess of either "w" burnished gold or straight bullion gold that I could offer for the right type of trade.

I also have noted that platinum doesnt take the downward swings that gold/silver does. Now, I dont follow platinum, but that is what I seem to notice in the little I look at spot.

I keep saying, and it is true in my experience that platinum works well as a third component in a mix of precious metals because it buffers the whole portfolio without keeping it down. The 3 of them almost always rotate around a rising price vs. the dollar, but on different schedules. I would always include a proportionate amount of platinum if I were structuring a portfolio of precious metals - at only slightly less than the percentage of gold, maybe even the same amount.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Very astute and experienced analysis of Platinum as the "third component in a mix of precious metals...." Jmski.

I purchased my first stick of Platinum in 2001 as 1/10 ouncer at $56.

I agree the 1997 to 2003 series is my favorite as the devices are at their best! I do appreciate they changed to look in 2004 as it sets the series' nuances apart.

My BM dealer does sigh a bit when I bring the Platinum in to trade or sell as he must wholesale it quickly to avoid a downdraft; although, that has seemed to lessen as of late.

Do you have any non-US Platinum forum members?? I have my Pandas in tenths. No Maples. I tend to lean towards the Eagles. The Mint has been good to me!

Miles
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ah platinum - one of my 3 favorite metals!

image >>

image Very nice!
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    At $1700 platinum they have to be melting the bullion plats now, even if a little at a time.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah platinum.............the other white meat..................Nice stash jmski52!

Miles, congrat's on your foresight. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......