Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

1960 GB Crown

We have had some interesting discussions on the Churchill Crown in terms of the difficulty obtaining a 66 or possible a 67.

What about the 1960 Crown?

Where these handled better at the mint? I am not talking about the PLs - just commercial examples intended for circulation. Are these difficult in 65 and higher?

Just curious

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, there are a couple of subsets of these: Polished dies, those packaged for the NY City (World?) Exhibition, VIP proofs, and the ordinary currency. Those for the exhibition were packaged in hard plastic cases (by memory blue) and there are likely many in MS65 or so but probably not many above 67 - that last bit is a guess - as they did not take overly many handling measures. Kind of like US mint sets in some ways, I suppose. I at least have not seen to much cameo in the VIPs but they are alright.
    The currency, well a grab bag literally and figuratively as these went into sacks and banged around a good bit. IMO a 67 in currency would be tough but might be found, and at a fairly low price as demand for these would be eclipsed by the availability of the PLs and exhibition coins. May be some overlap on the latter with PLs, and maybe a few currency found their way in, but can only speculate.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • I believe I read somewhere that all the PL's left at the end of the exhibition were stirpped from their cases and bagged up for shipment back to the UK. It has been my experience that the best examples are available from the States and in their original cases if possible
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking of just the business strike that would have been released for general circulation.

I would think for the sake of completeness, that a collector would seek the PL and the business strike for their collection.

I was just wondering if in the higher grade the business strike would ultimately bring more- I would think it would be a more of a condition rarity depending how many survived in such a high grade.

Its likely probable that few have contemplated this...image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• << <i>I was thinking of just the business strike that would have been released for general circulation.

I would think for the sake of completeness, that a collector would seek the PL and the business strike for their collection.

I was just wondering if in the higher grade the business strike would ultimately bring more- I would think it would be a more of a condition rarity depending how many survived in such a high grade.

Its likely probable that few have contemplated this...image >>

You are making sense but shiny seems to attrack a premium over dull. Don't forget there had not been a crown released for circulation since 1902. All subsequent issues were for souvenirs, so apart from the occassional wreath crown thet got into circulation we are talking degrees of bag marks.
    Gary