Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Can anybody help me identify this early British 1/2 penny?

I dug this today in a field in New Jersey and was wondering if anyone can help me date it. Thanks for any help! -Dan

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reverse? Obviously it is one of the George's.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Thank you, ajaan for pointing out the obvious!image The main reason I am asking is because the only date that matches the obverse is the 1694 half penny. The reverse is worn so badly there is no detail.This coin came from a field which produced a Hibernia Half penny as well. I am trying to date this site because it is near Princeton, New Jersey. I have about 90% of the property left to hunt!
  • Options
    You're welcome. image

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thank you, ajaan for pointing out the obvious!image The main reason I am asking is because the only date that matches the obverse is the 1694 half penny. The reverse is worn so badly there is no detail.This coin came from a field which produced a Hibernia Half penny as well. I am trying to date this site because it is near Princeton, New Jersey. I have about 90% of the property left to hunt! >>

If MARIA were discernible on the obverse (which I can't see anything, namely, MARIA or TERTIVS), it could be tied to 1694, but the second letter looks like a "V" which is at least William III ( GVLIELMVS ).

Most known imaged variants are found here, in Part I, or here in Part II.

.....have fun!
  • Options
    OK, I must admit. To me it looks like the surface of Mercury. I can't make out anything on the coin. Perhaps it's my screen.

But, I'm pretty sure it isn't King John.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    You can make out the pigtail and some Letters at 8-10' oclock.
  • Options
    This is a coin that a little "cleaning" would help.image
    olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py