Home Sports Talk

Decree! Hence forth, Ryan Howard is NEVER to be referred to as a 'big game player' by anyone!

Zero RBI in the post season! Carried by Halladay, Hamels, and Werth to even make it to the playoffs. Carried by the pitching staff in the first round to even make it to the LCS...and the most fitting end to the LCS that one can hope for, LOL!!!!

Thank goodness for him that Lidge and Co. carried them to even make it to the post season when they won the World Series....and we had to listen to the garbage the last three years about him because he had a great lineup. He is NOT as nearly as good as philly fans think!

Period. End of Story. Nail in the coffin. Overhyped!!
Are you sure about that five minutes!?

Comments

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

He is a beast isn't he!image

Someone out here was saying he is better than # 5 for the Cards. What a laugh!!
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Happily for the Phillies, they don't have him signed to a huge, crippling contract for the next sev...um, er...oh, yeah...
  • GDM67,

I think the next contest on the CU boards should be to guess how soon into his mammoth contract Howard will lose his status as a full time player.
  • bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    The image of him just standing there and watching the final called strike go over the plate tells it all.
    Capecards
  • GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Didn't A-Rod do the same thing?
  • Yup, as did the mighty Derek Jeter. THe difference is that Howard's ability gets so blown out of proportion by Philly fans that it is much funnier when he falls on his face in the realm where they claim he is a God, LOL!

Philly fans, and dumb baseball fans only look at the RBI totals, and neglect the lineup, and other important factors for a hitter. Some people claim they understand that, but they continue to post his RBI totals and claim he is as good as far superior hitters such as Pujols.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Saberman please fix the needle on the record, the skipping is giving me a headache.

The only person that has blown Howard out of proportion around here is you.

Give it a rest already.

Tell us all how Arod plays the same in the playoffs as he does during the course of a season

simply because last year he had a decent post season, his first.

Jeter, yeah, you predicted that, that is like predicting water will boil after 20 minutes.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Winpitcher,

The egg on your face is REALLY muffling your sound, and now your sense.

I am putting Howard INTO proportion, you are 'blowing' him out of proportion, in more ways than one image

Anymore waffling about the RBI's? Jack Morris?
    Ok I'll bite

Again I'll prove you to be the dunce that you truly are.

You always say that Ribbies are based on how your team mates get on base

and the amount of chance one gets, Yes? We have agreed on that (even though a LL player knows that)

You make it out to be your thesis. Anyway, now you come on and boast how Howard had ZERO Ribbies.

Yet at the same time you neglect to mention how his team mates batted a combined 222 or lower that were ahead of him.

Cmon Skippydoo it is YOU that has the egg all over his face, you can't have it both ways.

And since you like to take things out of proportion I'll do the same, Isn't it YOU that claimed Tommy Bond and Roger Clemens

were the same since they both won 20 games in a season? lol

Steve
    Good for you.
    Anymore waffling about rbi's?

<< <i>Winpitcher, I know you understand that about teammates and RBI >>

Not sure what you mean Skippydoo.

Good for you.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WinPitcher - not sure why you keep dragging Jeter and Arod into this. I'm sure any team would rather have either one of them over Howard. I mean come on look at their stats!image

Howard is NOT great and the Phillies are NOT great! Phillie fans have a GREAT imagination!
  • Winpitcher, I am using RBI's as YOUR method to show that based on YOUR method, that Howard was an absolute non factor...so in the future when you bring up RBI totals, you could understand that they are teammate based. Now you finally understand that the play of hte hitters ahead of you can affect your RBI totals.

In the past, all you did was cite Howard's RBI totals as proof of his greatness, with neglect of the opportunities. NOW you finally understand!

No, I would never use 'Wins' to determine any worth of a pitcher. SOrry, nice try.
  • Winpitcher,

So here it is...

These last several years all we heard out of the Philly fans(and you supporting them), is how great Ryan Howard is because of his high RBI totals...even claiming he is better than superior hitters(hitters who are much better in the more valid evaluative methods, but not in RBI).

We have also heard how 'clutch' Howard is, and how he is a big game player, and all that garbage...and how he is great because his team won the World Series and now go to the playoffs every year.

But now, based on their RBI evaluative method, he had the worst possible post season performance...ZERO RBI. And he failed in the biggest and most 'pressure packed' at bat of his career, ending the LCS. This coming on the heels of one of the worst World Series performances!

So your camp really has two options. 1) Recognize that Howard is indeed NOT a big game player, and that his RBI totals make him look better than he truly is, or

2) Come into the light and realize that using post season performances, or RBI totals as key evaluative methods...are probably not very accurate or fair methods to draw conclusions from. But rather stick with the high validity evaluative tools.