Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

For the umpteenth time - how does PSA treat a "bubble"?

I never have gotten any clarification on this. We've all seen this. If you have an otherwise MINT card (razor sharp corners under magnification, dead on centering, etc), but the surface has a "bubble" as big around as a "BB" and it is not discolored, how does PSA treat that.

Let's say the card otherwise would get a PSA 9. (In my case, I'm talking about a 1965 Topps).

Shane

Comments

• Options
    al032184al032184 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭
    I don't know, but a wrinkle from the factory gets it knocked down 3-4 grades. I guess it could be similar for a bubble.
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    I sent in a 1982 Topps Cal Ripken RC with a bubble and it got an 8. John

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    I've seen bubbles on 9s...I've seen bubbles on 10s.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've seen bubbles on 9s...I've seen bubbles on 10s. >>

Awesome! I have a couple of cards here that have bubbles.

The 1965 Topps card below is just a hair off center so I don't think it could get a 10. The bubble is under the "r" in 3rd. It looks like a little discoloration too on the bubble. The corners are superb under magnification.

However, this 1967 Topps card below it just absolutely fabulous. It will knock your socks off under magnification. The only problem is the bubble above the "r" in Herman in the autograph.

Shane

• Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    That's not a fisheye is it? (under the "r")
  • Options

<< <i>That's not a fisheye is it? (under the "r") >>

Nope, it's discoloration (or a light scuff) on top of the bubble.

Shane

• Options
    Shane,

In my experience, it depends on the nature of the paper bubble. I have subbed cards with bubbles (that are otherwise 8-9 worthy) that come back anywhere from 6-9. I have a 1978 Topps Thurman Munson in my collection that has a fairly flat bubble on the front about the diameter of the butt end of a bic pen. This card is otherwise close to flawless.

My experience is that as long as the bubble is not obvious and there is no associated wear or situations where the ink didn't quite "take" on the bubble, 8's and 9's are possible grades. A bubble that sticks out too much can cause that area to be particularly vulnerable to wear or not being inked properly in the printing process. I have several 7's that I personally subbed in my collection that have a tiny amount of wear on the bubble area. This 1968 Topps Frank Robinson is otherwise high end 8-worthy, but you will notice the bubble where the ink is lighter, in the sky area to the right of Frank's face.

I'm working on a '57 Topps Baseball set in PSA 6-7 and have had a few bubble cards come back 6's. I can't recall ever getting anything below a 6 on an otherwise nice card.

I am by no means an expert on bubble grading, but just wanted to relay my experiences in subbing several thousand cards for my collection in the past 7 years. I hope this helps.

Todd
  • Options
    Todd, that is some great information. Thanks a bunch.

I think you hit the nail on the head on that 65 of mine. I think the bubble made it to where the ink didn't take to the card. I may be in luck with the 67. You can only see it in the right light.

Shane

• Options
    No problem Shane. Those are both nice-lookin' cards. My guess is that you are looking at a 7 on the '65 Bailey. The '67 Franks is a pretty sweet card...Man, I love that set. I wouldn't say it's a lock on a 9, but it's at least a really nice 8 or 8.5.

Todd
  • Options
    I'll say the Bailey is an 8 and the Franks is an 8 or 8.5.
  • Options
    I didn't send in the Bailey, but I did send in the Herman Franks. I sent them in and got the grades back in one day after they logged them. That's the fastest I've ever experienced. This submission was 1965 to 1967 Topps so since they were basically the same kind of cards, they got graded quicker.

The Herman Franks got a PSA 9. I guess we got our answer.

Shane