Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

A little eye candy for $95

How did I do for $95? I think I did pretty well. I louped them, and these puppies are headed to Newport Beach, CA.

Shane

Comments

• Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    PSA 5.

Chaz
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options
    Nice cards. That Gibson is really nice. Sweet Flood also.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    those are pretty.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options

Wow, sharp looking cards. image
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    very nice cards!
  • Options
    You did very well. Show pickups, eBay, where?
  • Options
    MphilkingMphilking Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    SHARP!
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You did very well. Show pickups, eBay, where? >>

Local buy from a older man that has some high grade stuff, but doesn't get cards professionally graded.

Shane

• Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    Those are some sweet cards congrats on the pickup.
  • Options
    Those are great!
    Hard to tell for sure from the scan, but I don't see anything about the Whitey that would keep it out of a 9 holder. The Billy Williams looks like it could also have a chance.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    I'll give you a nice little $50 profit if you like.
  • Options
    So, basically you paid 1/2 book. Nice buys. The Ford's centering will keep it out of a 9 holder for sure. Wish the scans were a little more close up.
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Gorgeous!!!!

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    Double post
  • Options
    $134.50 with grading fees if you piggy backed and didn't pay shipping. If you're lucky, you will break even after selling.
  • Options
    Maybe not. The last Billy Williams PSA 8 sold for $50. I am hoping for a 9 or two in there.

Shane

• Options

<< <i>Maybe not. The last Billy Williams PSA 8 sold for $50. I am hoping for a 9 or two in there. >>

Only one with even a remote chance at a 9 (based on the scans) is the Gibson.
  • Options
    You're probably right. There probably are no 9's, but wouldn't straight 8's on all of them let me do alright?

PSA 8's

Gibson - no Ebay sales; SMR on 8 is $70

Ford - no Ebay sales; PSA 7 $23; SMR on 8 is $60

Banks - no Ebay sales; PSA 7 $32; SMR on 8 is $75

Brock - Ebay $59.98

Hodges - Ebay $14

Williams - Ebay $49

Flood - Ebay $38

Mathews - no Ebay; SMR $120

Red Sox - no Ebay; SMR $24

I know you can't go by SMR, but that's the best I have because I don't have VCP. That adds up to $510. If I get half that, I doubled my money. I am pretty sure those are all straight PSA 8's too.

Shane

• Options
    very sharp raw cards, dont think youll make quite the killing you think you will though.
  • Options
    $135 paypal gift right now and you can book a $40 winner.
  • Options

<< <i>very sharp raw cards, dont think youll make quite the killing you think you will though. >>

You don't think that the 8's that I showed SMR prices for will bring half SMR? The Ebay prices are what they are. I know there are variances. I would figure that those cards would bring 60 to 70% of SMR. I am wrong on this? This is, of course, based on all PSA 8's.

Shane

• Options
    Wasn't trying to be an azz. Just trying to be honest. SMR values are worthless but not even sure where you're getting the grades and values. Anyway....

Ford, Banks and Brock all OC a little in both directions enough to knock them all down to 8's just on centering.

Ford a touched corner or 2.

Banks a little tilt with maybe a touched corner or 2 on the bottom.

Brock maybe a touch on a left side corner and a rough edge. Yes you get a little ding for a rough edge.

Hodges has a tilt with a few fisheyes.

Banks may actually be an 8 (based on scan) but left side looks a little wavy to me.

Flood has a yellow splotch above the "A".

The Mathews and Red Sox team card both have numerous fisheyes but could end up as the nicest PSA 7's available. Mathews PSA 7 VCP is $40 but the last 2 sold for $33 and $27.
  • Options
    Bill, I know you wasn't. I appreciate the honesty. No problem here.

I know SMR is not perfect, but it does give an idea. I would say an 8 would bring 60 to 70%, wouldn't you?

The values came from Ebay and SMR.

The grades come from me. I ain't perfect at this, but I do have some experience. I have louped these. A PSA 8 allows for "touches" on the corners - touches that are obvious under magnification. I'm not sure how they will treat the yellow splotch on the Flood. I personally don't think the rough cut on the Brock will hurt it at all. I may be wrong.

Do you really think that those 2 very light fish eyes will hurt the Mathews? I really don't think that would drop it to a 7. I may be wrong.

Shane

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    that '67 Brock is beautiful, one of my personal favorite cards.....if you don't have complete confidence in obtaining a knockout grade on these, you may be better off selling at least a few of them raw, you may be surprised at the results.....i'm also seeing a waviness on the left border of the '65 Matthews.

good luck whatever you do, very nice cards.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    GREAT PICKUPS!
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's tough often to tell precise grades on high grade cards from internet scans, but on the Gibson and Ford it looks to me like there might be fraying on a few corners, and that'll be an 8 at best. Still no doubt a decent pickup for the price, and very nice cards....hope there's not a wrinkle on any of them...

...sometimes those "older men" aren't as naive as ya may think about grading and other collectible values.
  • Options
    Sorry, I counted the '65 Flood as a '65 Brock... so, based on that you probably paid 75% or more of book price.
  • Options
    Ouch, I didn't notice the wavy left border on the Mathews. I just compared it to other cards and the Mathews for sure IS NOT trimmed. That is a factory cut that is wavy. The means that left edge is just a hair larger on parts. The smallest part of the edge still equals the same as a normal card. How much will they take off on a wavy edge?

Bill, I'm still trying to see the wavy edge on the Banks and I don't see it.

You guys maybe right. I mean, there is no doubt that these cards are not GEM MINT. I only said I was hoping for a 9. But, I do believe these are solid 8's unless the wavy edge hurt the Mathews or the yellow blotch on the Flood hurts it. We shall see. I will post the results. I did not see any wrinkling on any of them.

Shane

• Options

<< <i>that '67 Brock is beautiful, one of my personal favorite cards.....if you don't have complete confidence in obtaining a knockout grade on these, you may be better off selling at least a few of them raw, you may be surprised at the results.....i'm also seeing a waviness on the left border of the '65 Matthews.

good luck whatever you do, very nice cards. >>

I see your point. I have gotten some great prices on raw cards before. For instance, if PSA was not running a special, I would just list them raw in the past and gotten some great prices. I remember getting double high book on a 1971 Topps Bob Gibson. Looking back, I should have sent that one in. It was beautiful.

Shane

• Options
    A lot of '65 Topps cards are miscut and that's what PSA grades them. That may be the problem with the Mathews. I'd send it in anyway. It's worth a shot.
  • Options
    My edumacated guess is that they are not trimmed.

My other guess based on no information is the seller probably took the cards around to a few card shops, and those weasels probably offered him around $25, so the seller was happy to get $95. He may have had a Mantle or Rose that he's already sold.
  • Options

<< <i>My edumacated guess is that they are not trimmed.

My other guess based on no information is the seller probably took the cards around to a few card shops, and those weasels probably offered him around $25, so the seller was happy to get $95. He may have had a Mantle or Rose that he's already sold. >>

Actually, what happened was that I went to him wanting to buy some stuff to send in to get graded. I knew he had some high grade stuff. He doesn't actively sell anything and knows nothing about PSA. I had to explain to him why I wanted to buy some of his cards and how the PSA process works. He let me go through a box of 60's stuff. I also bought 2 signed Hank Aaron baseballs for $40 each.

Shane

• Options
    arexarex Posts: 999
    If you decide to let any of them go ungraded I would be interested in the Gibson, Ford, and Mathews
    Thanks,
    Arex
  • Options

<< <i>

My other guess based on no information is the seller probably took the cards around to a few card shops, and those weasels probably offered him around $25, so the seller was happy to get $95. He may have had a Mantle or Rose that he's already sold. >>

Actually, what happened was that I went to him wanting to buy some stuff to send in to get graded. I knew he had some high grade stuff. He doesn't actively sell anything and knows nothing about PSA. I had to explain to him why I wanted to buy some of his cards and how the PSA process works. He let me go through a box of 60's stuff. I also bought 2 signed Hank Aaron baseballs for $40 each. >>

I would have made him an offer on the whole lot, a strong offer he wouldn't refuse - There might be some winners in there you didn't notice at first glance. I think sellers doing that often look for quick dollars, the more the better, and don't necessarily look at value per each card.

In any event, best of luck with the grades...hopefully there are some 9's in there. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Actually, what happened was that I went to him wanting to buy some stuff to send in to get graded. I knew he had some high grade stuff. He doesn't actively sell anything and knows nothing about PSA. I had to explain to him why I wanted to buy some of his cards and how the PSA process works. He let me go through a box of 60's stuff. I also bought 2 signed Hank Aaron baseballs for $40 each. >>

I would have made him an offer on the whole lot, a strong offer he wouldn't refuse - There might be some winners in there you didn't notice at first glance. I think sellers doing that often look for quick dollars, the more the better, and don't necessarily look at value per each card.

In any event, best of luck with the grades...hopefully there are some 9's in there. image >>

Are you talking about the whole lot that I looked through? If so, I did think about that, but I don't think he would have wanted to part with all of them. He still collects, but he is not aggressive with it. He has had many of his cards since he was a kid. I figured, since I was the one being aggressive about buying a few to send off for grading, I figured that I had better play it safe in order to be able to buy just a few.

Shane

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Those cards are nice. You did well at $95.

Why is everyone worried about all the grading fees and making money? Those are quality cards for $95.
  • Options

<< <i>Those cards are nice. You did well at $95.

Why is everyone worried about all the grading fees and making money? Those are quality cards for $95. >>

Those are my feelings as well, though I don't have the experience as others in this thread. I'd like to see the OP send 'em in and post the results here, would be great if a 9 or two popped.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Those are quality cards for $95. >>

Yep.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    $137 paypal gift.
  • Options

<< <i>$137 paypal gift. >>

One million dollars! image

Shane

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was sitting in the right field bleachers (Knot Hole Club tickets) in Milwaukee sometime around 1960 or so with the Little League group from my hometown, and Eddie Mathews hit one that bounced on the wooden seats about 4 rows in front of me. We all had our gloves, but I'm not sure how smart it would have been to try & catch that sucker!image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Sent the cards in late last week. They got logged yesterday and the grades popped today!!!!! I think it's because my 28 card submission was all mid 1960's with most being 1967.

Anyway, every card pictured in this thread got a PSA 8 except 2. The Mathews didn't get graded because of the miscut. The Curt Flood got a PSA 8.5. Here is the scan again. I did some research, and I should double my money.

Shane

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
  • Options
    Congratulations Shane!
  • Options
    Nice work!
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Those are some great looking ball cards.
    Nice buy.