Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Here's a new one for me, eBay

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
I asked the person selling this coin if he had a larger image of the coin. I did this because of a thread on the CCRS. I wanted to see if I got the same reply. Here is the seller's reply:

<< <i>This is a generic picture as we detail the condition grading in the auction. we provide scans to serious purchasers once thy have paid. If not satisfied with the scan we refund immediately >>

So, he wants me to pay a deposit for a scan of the actual coin? I guess if I am satisfied with the scan I don't get my money back? Anyone ever see this before? Pay for an image?

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's weird for sure. But at least you get your money back if you don't like the scan of the actual coin....seller has excellent feedback history. Still, it turns me off.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In other words he doesn't want to waste his time. And I wouldn't waste mine either asking or bidding on the coin, but would just move on and forget about ever seeing his auctions.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    Not for me! Don't like his style of business!!!
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Options

They want you to pay before seeing the actual coin? That's a strange request. I'd feel odd just asking this of a buyer.
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Youre a real nuisance, asking for a picture of the actual coin, youre willing to buy for just $ 575.
    that tiny stock picture is all you need to know, seller describes it as AUNC , so you know exactly what you will get.
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like two words to me: "stay away."
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    That has to be against Ebay's policy. I would let him know that he is misrepresenting the coin. It is sellers like this that has caused the problems for anybody selling on Ebay. What a tool. It almost sounds like he does not have the coin in hand. -Dan
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Man, where do you find all these nutcases? Selling a $500 coin without providing an actual image of the item? That would be reason enough for me to neg him in one of my bad days.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    he definitely lost my business with that reply, plus he charges for local pick-up?!?!?
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Move on, don't buy anything from such a seller.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess eBay doesn't care that he does this.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I guess eBay doesn't care that he does this. >>

Not so long as he pays his fees to them. What I wouldn't give for a better online auction site, I have reached the point where I hate to tell people that I sell on eBay because I try very hard to gare my coins honestly and take photos that look like the coin will when the buyer gets it. I hate being lumped in with the people who sell counterfeits and overgraded trash.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com