Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Set Registry Structure Refinements: Part One – Presidential and Native American Dollars

Just got this from BJ...............................

Dear Set Registry Participant,

PCGS has been reviewing the structure of the Set Registry, specifically how sets are presented, which sets are included, and which coins are included in specific sets. We will be making some modifications to the Set Registry presentations to simplify the process and make set building logical and easy to understand for both the beginner and seasoned collector.

The basic change is that we will be dividing the Sets listed under various series into two categories: major sets and specialized sets. The major sets will be sets traditionally collected and/or sets with lots of current participants. These are mostly the basic sets and major variety sets. The specialized sets will be all the other sets, including many complete variety sets and many requested, somewhat esoteric groupings.

The result of the re-grouping will be twofold. First, we’ll be able to logically add even more sets and give you more collecting enjoyment options. Second, we can accomplished the set collection option expansion without diluting the presentation or importance of the major sets. The change in presentation will happen over the next few months, a few denominations at a time.

The first regroupings we will be doing are the Presidential and Native American dollar designations. There are some issues with these series that had needed to be addressed anyway. Specifically we have been investigating the various different edges that have been produced in both series. It is our conclusion that in numismatic terms these edges are errors and not varieties. These edges are the result of operational deficiencies in the minting process of the U.S. Mint and are not found on the dies that were used to make the coins. PCGS will continue to recognize the various edges, both of past issues as well as future issues in these series. We will be adding “Edge Error” to the holder insert for these coins, however the description and PCGS coin number will remain the same. The coins will continue to have separate populations and listings in various Set Registry sets. We will be moving some of the coins from certain sets into others. We will also continue with the Position A and Position B designations. And we will of course continue the satin finish sets which are very popular with many Set Registry participants. We appreciate your patience during our investigation of the presentation of these two series.

Collecting coins with the PCGS Set Registry is a lot of fun. Our first change to make sure the fun continues and even increases is Presidential and Native American dollars. We hope you enjoy the new changes in Set Registry presentation.
BJ Searls
Set Registry Manager

....Changes are coming?

So instead of "Mint Error" or a variety, they are now "Edge Error"s

Most important about the announcement.....

PCGS will continue to recognize the various edges, both of past issues as well as future issues in these series. We will be adding “Edge Error” to the holder insert for these coins, however the description and PCGS coin number will remain the same. The coins will continue to have separate populations and listings in various Set Registry sets. We will be moving some of the coins from certain sets into others. We will also continue with the Position A and Position B designations.

Comments

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Problem carefully analyzed; problem solved.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭
    So, does this mean business as it was before except for the "Edge Error" labeling?

It used to say ..."Mint Error", then they stopped doing that...

Sounds good to me.
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please correct the MAJOR injustice done to the Eisenhower Dollar Basic Set image

Since the beginning of IKE time a basic set of IKE Dollars had ALWAYS included the 1976-P & D Ty 1 & Ty 2 coins.

For some reason that I fail to understand a few years ago this was changed by PCGS and only one or the other was required. This was a HUGE mistake IMHO,,,,,,

PLEASE correct this horrible error in judgement as you are revamping the sets.

Every IKE Dollar albulm I have ever seen has always included both TY 1 & Ty 2 coins and since TY 1 is a 1975 coin and Ty 2 is a 1976 coin they must be included in the basic set.

None of the coins are a big dollar set buster in common grades so why not?

JMHO, GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Please correct the MAJOR injustice done to the Eisenhower Dollar Basic Set image

Since the beginning of IKE time a basic set of IKE Dollars had ALWAYS included the 1976-P & D Ty 1 & Ty 2 coins.

For some reason that I fail to understand a few years ago this was changed by PCGS and only one or the other was required. This was a HUGE mistake IMHO,,,,,,

Every IKE Dollar albulm I have ever seen has always included both TY 1 & Ty 2 coins and since TY 1 is a 1975 coin and Ty 2 is a 1976 coin they must be included in the basic set.

JMHO, GrandAm image >>

I agree. image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • AGREE!!!!!!! Rob Ezerman, Grand Poo-bla of the Ike Group
    Modern dollars are like children - before you know it they'll be all grown up.....

Questions about Ikes? Go to The IKE GROUP WEB SITE
  • SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭
    I agree that the IKE set needs some revamping...

Also the "Flaming Eagle" for the Sac dollars needs to be added!

• << <i>Please correct the MAJOR injustice done to the Eisenhower Dollar Basic Set image

JMHO, GrandAm image >>

Shouldn’t the registry be about consistency? image

I notice that the basis Buffalo Nickel set requires both the 1913- PDS requires both the Type 1 & Type 2 coins.

The basic Jefferson Nickel set requires both the 1942 (P) Type 1 & Type 2 coins.

The basic Standing Liberty Quarter set requires both the 1917-PDS Type 1 & Type 2 coins.

The basic Walking Liberty Half Dollar set requires both types of the 1917-D and 1917-S coins.

What is different about the 1976 Type 1 & Type 2 Eisenhower Dollars?image

What is next, only require an either / or policy on require modern clad or silver proof coins? image

Edited to add: The 1964 Proof Kennedy Half Dollar (Accent Hair) is in the same boat as the 1976 Type 1 & Type 2 Eisenhower Dollars, it is a design change not a variety. With the Kennedy half dollars, the Registry has made the first design of the 1964 Proof a variety of the second design. Let us not forget the 1979-S and 1981-S Type 1 & Type 2 Proof coins also not being required in the Basic Sets.

• WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PLEASE clean up the !@#$%^&amp;*() satin problems on ALL sets.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can anyone tell me the answers to a couple of questions re: 2010 Smooth Edge Satin Native American Dollars?

1) Do I submit them as error coins and pay the higher fee? Or do I submit them as a Modern coin at the lower fee and then PCGS labels it as an error coin when they certify it?

2) What PCGS Coin Number do I use? There isn't one listed for this coin.

Thanks for any help.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
    Since PCGS halted designating edge lettering attributions on 8/12/2010 I don't think any of these have been attributed.

But, standard protocol is that if you do not know the coin number, simply leave it blank and PCGS will fill it in.

As for the fee's, I would never submit these using the Error fee since PCGS will slab it as an Error giving it an "E" designation in front of the coin number. Doing this prevents the coin from being entered in ANY registry set. This HAS hapened to me even prior to the moratorium on attributing the coins.

What I would do is submit it as a modern with variety attribution and let them contact me with any corrections that need to be made.

Of course, you could email BJ at BSearls@collectors.com or call the customer service line at 1-800-447-8848

Whatever you do, if you're a registry participant, you do not want that E in front of the coin number.

The funny thing about these problemed edge letter coins is that they always been cinsidered "Mint Errors" AND "Varieties" yet they slabbed them with coin numbers which could be entered into the Complete Variety Sets.

No Good................................................................................Good
    image .. image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lee, thanks for your explanation. B.J.'s email is not clear as to which Registry Sets the error designation would belong and you indicate that it would not belong in any of them. If that is the case, why would anyone request designation as an error coin? Obviously a PCGS-slabbed coin will be more marketable if it belongs to a Registry Set. Thus far, PCGS has provided me absolutely no clues.

Customer Service just told me that I'd have to submit it as an error coin and a separate email that BJ just sent to me in response to my questions didn't answer my questions about whether to leave the coin in Mint packaging as a whole board, to cut around it and leave it in Mint shrinkwrap, or to remove it and submit it in a Saflip. I explained that I want to maintain a proper chain of custody for authentication purposes, but that question just zipped on by without getting an answer.

I'm sorry to say that this process is like pulling teeth. I do appreciate your time & help though!
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Obviously, PCGS is just starting the changes. My suggestion is to DO NOTHING until they determine exactly how this will work. They are starting with these one dollar denominations so I would think that within a couple of months, things will be clear. RELAX and give them some time to get their act together. JMHO. Steveimage
    I used to submit these as errors in the past paying $50 each.

I since learned that they could be submitted as Moderns with Variety attribution saving me $12 per coin.

I guess if PCGS rulles these as official "Errors" then that would close that loop hole.

However, since they've always been considered errors (see below) I've never been able to figue out why they are included in ANY registry set other than to promote the set registry.

image .. image

Too bad errors aren't allowed in other sets.

The name is LEE!