Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1894 Football Mayo Plug autograph collection

Hello all,

I've been collecting preWW2 college football autographs for....too long (according to my wife). One of my many collections I've been working on are autographs of every player from the 1894 Football Mayo Plug set. While nearly impossible to complete, I have managed to obtain 10 of the 35 players. I currently have Crowdis, Lea, Hinkey, Poe, Trenchard, Waters, Wheeler, Hickok, Butterworth and Thorne. Posted are a few of the HOFers:

Arthur Wheeler - Princeton.

Frank Hinkey - Yale

Langdon Lea - Princeton

Brinck Thorne - Yale

Comments

• Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    Those are very cool. I really like how the first one has '93 in the top right. 18 freaking 93! image

It also looks like a nice legible signature used to mean something.
    Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    Awesome; thanks for sharing! I have some Harvard 19th century football items, so I can definitely appreciate!
  • Options

Great old set, one that Ive been working on for a few years. That Anonymous Dunlop is a killer!
    Those are aweome signatures man, that old cursive is cool.

John Spano just did an article in Gridiron Greats with bio's on every player in this set. Very well written, very informative.

Link to Gridiron greats mag, a must for anyone calling themselves a football fan
    http://www.gridirongreats.net/index.html

• Options
    cfhofercfhofer Posts: 258 ✭✭
    I didn't know they were still making that magazine. I wrote a couple articles for them back in 2004/05 time period regarding vintage college football autographs. I let my subscription expire, mostly because their focus shifted toward subjects I had little interest in (bobbleheads, bottle caps, gumball helmets, etc). Is Franklin still running the show?

I'd like to read that article you refer to....do you know which issue it was published in?

Mark
  • Options
    Hey all,

Just picked up this great piece. It is a signed banquet program of the 1893 championship Princeton football team. This piece has nine individuals from the 1894 Mayo Plug football set (Brown, Ward, Barnett, Holly, Wheeler, Trenchard, Knox, Lea and Morse). That brings my total of autographs from this set to 16 out of 35.

Cheers!

Mark
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    That is an outstaning piece! Congrats on the pick up.

dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Mark,

WOW! What a way to increase your sigs with ONE purchase! Very nice. CONGRATS!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    Outstanding collection of football history. Kudos to your autograph collection!
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    Great Princeton program!!

Hope you don't mind, but I thought it might be relevant to post a pickup of mine. This pennant came from the family of a Harvard football player who graduated in 1894 (Harding - no N302 card though).

• Options
    Thanks for the kind words...

Very cool pennant scooter! If anyone else has 19th century football memorabilia, please feel free to share it on this string.

Mark
  • Options
    All,

I've attached the photos which came with the 1893 Princeton Championship Football team signed banquet program. These photos are 8x3" each.

Trenchard and Ward

Blake and Morse

Phil King

Balliet, Wheeler and Brown

Taylor, Lea and Holly

Ticket to the 1893 Championship banquet, signed by the manager of the Princeton Inn

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Superb stuff!!!

Thanx for sharing.

I'm a Columbia U alum - and I can't remember the exact year - but they banned FB from the campus for a bit in the early part of the 20th century due to riots.

They played on a temporary field back in the 1900s - South Field - on the main campus - I believe - and they later played at the same place they do today - Baker Field on 218th St. - at the tip of Manhattan - which is quite a long haul from the Morningside Campus.
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike,

Since you are a Columbia alum then you should have no problem identifying this football player. The photo was taken when he was a cadet in 1894. It is also signed by him on the reverse.

Mark

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool pic Mark!

Sure I know him - me and E.E. shared a foxhole in WWI. image
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike,

The picture is of Bill Morley, Columbia All-American from 1899-1901 and member of the College Football Hall of Fame. He also coached the Columbian team from 1902-05.

I think EE was the photographer.

Mark
  • Options
    Here is another couple pieces from my 1894 Football Mayo Plug autograph collection.

Bert Waters and Frank Butterworth (first sig is Phil King, Princeton 1890s football legend)

Huge 8x10 signed photo of Thomas "Doggie" Trenchard

1896 Princeton championship signed banquet program. Edwin Crowdis, Neilson Poe and "Biffy" Lea signed this piece. Other notables include Garrett Cochran, William Church, Addison Kelly, Arthur Hillebrand and Robert Gailey.

All the best

Mark
  • Options
    It has been awhile since I posted on this thread, but these signatures don't come around very often. I just added a few more signatures to my collection of 1894 Football Mayo Plug autographs - bringing the total to 18 out of 35. Hope someone here enjoys the pics.

George T Adee (Yale)

John C Greenway (Yale)

S. Brinck Thorne (Yale)

Cheers!

Mark