Home Stamps Forum
Options

I made a stamp purchase...

BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
And I think it is the first time I have ever purchased stamps for myself. (The majority of my collection was either inherited or pulled off of envelopes)

I was at the locally Hobby Lobby for a scale model club display and they had a sack(?) of 300 world stamps for $7, so I purchased it. I have not gone through them all yet but I am pretty sure it is the first time I have spent money on the hobby.

From what I've gone through so far it looks like an interesting mix, with some clearly war time up to around 2008. The bag was very French heavy, I've noticed up to four or five of the same. Quite a few from Germany, England and Poland too. It looks like most of them are newer, from the 1990s to current(ish).

I have not scanned any yet but I have to say I'm enjoying going through them. Many of them are curved due to the packaging (my only real complaint) so I plan to put them inside a heavy book to hopefully flatten them out. Some of them were cut from heavy cardboard, I think perhaps post cards, and they are the ones I'm thinking might give me some trouble getting flat.

I have no idea when most of them are from but they seem to be of a newer art style. Only a select few are dated...I think I'm going to have to get a reference book, especially if I add more to my collection.

Most importantly I am having fun with them!

I will try and get some pictures later to post, but I wanted to post this up now...even though I am sure most serious collectors wouldn't be interested in adding to their collection this way...I thought it would be fun!
Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History

Comments

• Options
    Tell us about the "Hobby Lobby for a scale model club display" please ... a model train display?
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry Richard, no trains! I belong to a scale model club, and our annual show is this coming Saturday. To try and spread the awarness of the club/show, we had a small display of what might be at the show.

We have had a train at at least one of the meetings I've been to, and there may be a few at the show come Saturday, especially as there are some newly released models of trains just out.

I did take a handfull of pictures before my battery died on my camera, which I have Here on my Website but none of them are my own.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    We just got a Hobby Lobby in our area. I checked it out Saturday and I have to say what a cool store! It's like a craft store combined with what I remember from toysrus 20 years ago. The Hobby Lobby has a small stamp section, coins, model trains, rockets, model kits, etc. Lots of fun to walk through.

If you want to flatten those stamps, I can't say enough good about how much a love and use my little stamp press. Nothing works better!

Matt