Home Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways

Considering hosting a coin tag. Anyone interested?

There were times when I was asked to host a coin "tag".

I am seriously considering doing so now.

Anyone interested, please feel free to post your feelings about participating in one.

For descriptions about what a tag is and how it runs search this forum for ones previously hosted
by either claychaser or TorinoCobra71. Should I not be logged on, ask either one of them what a tag
is & how it is to be conducted.

Thank you.

Boom ~

Comments

• TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭
    Hey Warren, Im in!

TC71

• morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
    I have been dying for another tag. I am very interested. I will go first or last or whatever. Thank you for hosting one (if you do decide to do so)
    I collect circulated U.S. silver
  • BigJohnDBigJohnD Posts: 329 ✭✭✭
    I would be in.
  • claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah! Wonder if Boom will throw in a pet 'gator or snake from the bayou in the box.....

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    I willl be in on this one if you don't mindimage
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • headsplitter2headsplitter2 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭

JD
    "Only 2 things are certain
    Death and Taxes" ~~ Ben Franklin
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/u-s-coins/mint-sets/1945-mint-set/publishedset/21067
    Knutson's 45' Set 2009 Winner
  • TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭
    Warren, how many people do we need to get this thing going? we got seven or so now!

• Hi Boom,

I would like to be part of your tag. I have a small problem I'll PM with you about before signing up. OK?

Paul
    (Old man) Look I had a lovely supper, and all I said to my wife was, “That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah”.

(Priest) BLASPHEMY he said it again, did you hear him?
  • slincslinc Posts: 480 ✭✭
    I'd love to do a tag
    Hi slinc! Here's one for the box (LOL!):

<< <i>image >>

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • slincslinc Posts: 480 ✭✭
    Man if that gets in the box, I'd be sweating trying to throw together the coins to get it out. image
  • BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Wow, guys - I've been so darned busy that I all but forgot!

Yeah, we'll get this thing going soon.

I'll start putting some things together tonight.

Claychaser, if you don't mind - would you ... could you post your past guidelines or send them to me via PM or email?

Thanx all,

BOOM ~ image
    Here ya go, Boom. Note I reference California law, and not that Napoleanic Code thang used by them Louisana swamp people!

===================================================================================

This will be an invitation only tag with nice mix of 30 to 50 coins slabbed coins. The focus will be on the "classics" again, so the latest coins will be Indian Cents, Buffalos, Mercs, Standing Liberty Quarters, Walkers and of course silver dollars. I may have a few raw and modern coins in the mix as well. This will not be "clean out claychaser's junk box" kind of tag - these are all solid to choice coins with as an accurate description as I can do.

Rules:

This tag is a little different. As all of you know, I delayed this one for a very long time. I have been looking at the direction that I am collecting, and have decided to focus and rifle shoot in a very few areas. So, some pretty nice coins have to go! The flip side to this is that I am only interested in an agonizingly few coins that, in some cases, I'll have to pay moon money for to get. So my primary goal here is to get a large enough war chest to go after the coins I want. The impact here is that I would likely rather sell these coins for cash, or swap for bullion that I can sell (I have a good and fair dealer to sell it to). My want list in the tag is very short, but if you have any of the coins, I'm interested, even if I have to swap my coins + cash for them.

In short, you get to preview a large box of coins for the cost of shipping them out - about $25.50

RULES: PLEASE READ! You should contact me if you have any questions.

VALUATION:
    Values are established at approximate wholesale levels, not retail:
    1. It will cost less to insure the box. All shipping MUST be registered mail, and insured for a wholesale value that I will determine using the greysheet as a baseline where appropriate.
    2. Some coins have larger wholesale to Price Guide spreads than others. If we have to sell, we would usually get wholesale.
    3. Some coins will get a PQ premium, and others will get a slow market valuation discount.
    4. Some coins are just plain slow right now, like commems. Others are "hot", like gold.
    5. This will provide equity for anyone who wants to swap in junk silver, common slabbed gold widgets, and coins that are as liquid as cash. You also have the option of buying coins from the tag for the cash value, or cash + your coins.
    6. Some coins are just not very marketable, and the "retail" levels are not at all reflective as to what could be obtained on sale to a dealer. Examples: Proof 1960's - 1970's coins, several of the peace dollars, modern commems.
    7. When new coins come in, they will receive a value to equal the coins taken out. So, if 4 coins go out valued at $800, and 3 coins go in, the total value of the 3 will be set at $800.

PURCHASE AND JUNK SILVER TRADE OPTION:
    You may purchase any coins in the tag for the stated prices. You may also exchange 90% silver at the Kitco closing bid X .67. For example, at $15.27 silver, your 90% silver coins are worth $10.23 x face value ($15.27 X .67 = 10.23). 40% silver halves, Canadian silver, etc can also be exchanged. PM me for details if interested.

SHIPPING, CUSTODY AND RISK OF LOSS:
    The wholesale value of the box is $2623. You are fully responsible for the care and custody of the coins in your possession. If the coins are lost or stolen, you will have to reimburse me for the full predetermined value of the box, $2,623.00, so, please be careful! The coins will be shipped REGISTERED and INSURED mail in a NEW, USPS FLAT RATE BOX, no exceptions. You can get free boxes from your PO or you can order them for free at the PO website. Do NOT ship "certified", and do NOT use UPS, Fed Ex, etc. These services insurance does NOT over losses to coins! For those who have not shipped registered mail, you will need to get the paper tape and seal all edges of the box so the clerk can stamp each tape line. If you use the flat rate box, it's not too bad. The cost to ship registered and insure a $3000 flat rate box is about $25.00 anywhere in the 48 USA.

TURNAROUND:
    The deadline to ship the box is Tuesday if you get it by the previous Friday. This gives you a weekend to evaluate and to get approval from the host. If there is a mail delay, or you need additional time, please contact me asap for a one week extension.

If you pass on the box, you can go to the end of the line for another shot later. I may add additional coins to the box if it gets depleted too far. I do have a few surprises at all price levels. and then if you like, you can call for the box again.

NEW "DIBBS" RULE:
    If you are down the line and you see a coin you just gotta have and are serious about, you can make a dibbs call on it (and I get one dibbs too!). You only dibbs one coin at a time, and the dibbs are first come, first served. A dibbs is not a commitment, but I trust that you will seriously evaluate the coin. If, after examining it, you are under no obligation to take it.

TRADES:
    All coins going in and out must be approved via private message by me. All of us have traded before, and I'll be reasonable.

LEGAL:
    I hate to have to post this, and I trust that this would not be the case with this group: In the event that someone does not ship the box, or loses or absconds with the coins, that person is fully and legally responsibile to make restitiution to me for the full stated value of the box, which is stated above, plus any legal and other reasonable costs incurred to collect. Any legal actions or legal disputes will be governed by California law, with any legal action taking place in California, unless the law dictates otherwise. All participants warrant that they are of legal age to make a contract.

HOLD ONTO THE COINS YOU TAKE UNTIL THE TAG IS OVER!
    The tag will NOT be over and completed until I get the box back, and approve all coins put in it. For coins put in and taken before the box gets to me, they are automatically approved. This rule is for my protection - say if a coin is bad in some way, I want to be able to return it to the person who put it in. I would only do this in an extreme situation - counterfeit, whizzed, unattractive for the grade, unmentioned spots, stains or other issues, or other "bad" coin put in. I am not going to invoke it for low value or stuff close to melt value, etc.

My short want list is as follows:
    PCGS graded pre WW2 commems in rattler holders (see registry set)
    Any PCGS graded and nice draped bust material
    1851-O Three cent silver, original and problem free coins in all grades
    1839-O Half, looking for a PCGS graded original in all grades
    Obverse MM 2.5 and 5 gold, looking for original skin PCGS graded VF or XF coins
    Problem and holed coins before 1875, in limited quantities

Junk silver, (dollars, 90%, 40%, canadian, silver eagles, rounds, etc)
    Cash

• I would like to try this if it would be possible. I know that I am new to the boards and this may make it hard for me to be involved. PM if any questions.
  • After PMing Boom I'm now redy to sign up officialy.

So I am signing up. image
    (Old man) Look I had a lovely supper, and all I said to my wife was, “That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah”.

(Priest) BLASPHEMY he said it again, did you hear him?
  • dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    I would try if it's not too late to get in.
    Guys,

Don't give up on me. Could be any day now. I am just way overwhelmed with so much it's hard to get this kicked off.

Be sure to ttt that thread so it doesn't get lost.

BTW, anyone wanting in that I don't have personal contact info on - please supply me with such.
    Name, address, phone # etc. I need to know as much as possible for obvious reasons -
    This upcoming week, Thanksgiving week, may present the time I need to get this thing together & kicked off ....
    so just hang loose and hang in there. Make SURE I get your personal contact info before anything else!

Back as soon as I possibly can.

Peace,
    Boom ~ image

• Thanks John
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/u-s-coins/mint-sets/1945-mint-set/publishedset/21067
  • on hold.
    JD
  • Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im very tempted to jump in and try this but thats alot of someone else's money thats gonna be in those boxes....Unless theres gonna be some great merc dimes in the mix.
    All I can say is I just have not had time yet guys but remain optimistic.

I have so much going on - some of you know the things I'm always busy with @ Christmas but beyond that there is so much to do and only one of me.

I'll continue pecking away a little each day & hopefully we can make this happen.

If I see I just can't get it together I will let you all know. Your patience IS appreciated.

All the best & Happy Holidays to everyone,
    BOOM~
  • What is this coin tag thing?

What does it take to get involved?

any special requests or ??

Thanx....
    ttt just to let everyone know that this is stil in the works.

Thanks to all for patience & understanding. image