Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Chantilly Lace

Anyone going to the Chantilly VA show tomorrow?
Kiss me once, shame on you.
Kiss me twice.....let's party.

Comments

• Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    I was hoping you would be posting a Big Bopper autograph, I'm looking for one image
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    Went friday evening, love going then, always quiet.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Hi Vlad,
    Thought you might like to see this. This check was written from the Crickets account and signed by their manager, Norman Petty. Buddy endorsed the check on the back.

• Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

But, baby, I ain't got no money, Honey.
  • Options
    msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone going to the Chantilly VA show tomorrow? >>

I'll be going down this morning.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi Vlad,
    Thought you might like to see this. This check was written from the Crickets account and signed by their manager, Norman Petty. Buddy endorsed the check on the back.
    >>

Holy crap, PM sent, do you own that?
  • Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    I was there yesterday from 2-7 and today from 2-4. A number of dealers said traffic was light compared to past shows and that this has been the case the last few months at other shows as well (White Plains and Pittsburg were mentioned in particular). I see their point, as the volume of the Saturday p.m. crowd looked very much like the historically lighter volume Friday crowd. I saw a table manned by a guy wearing a white top hat. I think I read somewhere before on here that his name is Levi? There was no sign at his table, but he had 1,000's of 50's and 60's graded baseball cards, including many '52 Mantles. It's a very nice show to browse.

I picked up about 30-35 NM-MT 75 mini's for my set. I'm sending the low POP's under the October special. If I get around to it, I'll post the highlights on the raw card Saturday thread after the kids go to bed.

For those in the NoVa area, it's a great show to attend, and you still have tomorrow to go if you haven't been there already.
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was there today from 9 to 3ish. Not a bad show. Got some real nice $1/box finds including a ton of 83 and 84 Donruss Ripkens. The best find though for you Hockey guys, RC's of Yzerman, LaFontaine, Turgeon, Sakic and Shannahan for $1 total. I'm not kidding, got them in the 6 for a buck box. image

Lots of blow out cards, just got too tired to stand there and sort. A couple of dealers with nice boxes of $1 commons and semi stars from about 58 to 69 Topps.
  • Options
    Awwwwww! I forgot that it was this weekend. I already made other plans. Will try for the next one.

I wonder if attendance is lower because of the economy, the National was nearby on the East Coast a few months ago, or some other reason.
    I collect PSA graded 1980-81 Basketball.

Successful transactions with bouwob, lifeshouldbefun, SDSportsFan, Bkritz, tsalems1, kwtoz, johnny1976, Topps29, Calaban7, nascar20, bking, bedellsonics, Beck6, Dialj, Echocanyon, mdkuom, gosteelers, artimus.
  • Options
    xbaggypantsxbaggypants Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    I went on Sunday; picked up a very nice 1972 MLB pinback Sanguillen and then visited Chandy's table and found a 1979 Sportscaster, Hidden Ball Trick, picturing Matt Alexander diving back to first. I hadn't known this existed! A fun day.
    Collecting Matt Alexander, Manny Sanguillen, and Rennie Stennett - pm me with your oddball items for sale or trade!
  • Options
    msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    I made the trip down Saturday morning.

Sold a bunch of vintage graded to Andy's Sportscards when I walked in. Picked up a Huggins & Scott auction lot I won and gave them something to sell for me. Stopped at Charles Town on the way back to win some gas money.

707 was set up at the show (minus the big sign).
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone going to the Chantilly VA show tomorrow? >>

I might go Saturday. Will be too nice out Friday to stay inside.
  • Options
    ga5150ga5150 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭
    Yep, I'll be there Saturday as well.

Rodney
  • Options
    Report from the show for those interested:

- Peyton Manning is bigger than I imagined

- Not much vintage card action, about 50% autos and auto items

- Lots of bargain 80's. 50 ct Glavine and Smoltz RC's all brands for $5 each. Was a little shocked by that.

- Junk wax at all time lows IMO. 1990 Upper Deck Hi Series Hockey Sets for $1 each.

- 1977 SCDs for $1 each. Picked up a few.

- Pick up of the day, Martin Brodeur Score RC in .10 cent bin.

- Runner up pick up of the day - Chick Fil A after the show for lunch.
  • Options
    ga5150ga5150 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭
    What did you see in the likes of graded cards? Any dealers with a table full of them, or just spread randomly, or not much at all?

Thanks!
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭

<< <i>Report from the show for those interested:

- Peyton Manning is bigger than I imagined

- Not much vintage card action, about 50% autos and auto items

- Lots of bargain 80's. 50 ct Glavine and Smoltz RC's all brands for $5 each. Was a little shocked by that.

- Junk wax at all time lows IMO. 1990 Upper Deck Hi Series Hockey Sets for $1 each.

- 1977 SCDs for $1 each. Picked up a few.

- Pick up of the day, Martin Brodeur Score RC in .10 cent bin.

- Runner up pick up of the day - Chick Fil A after the show for lunch. >>

Thanks, now I feel even better about my decision to not drive 6 hours (one way) to that show.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks, now I feel even better about my decision to not drive 6 hours (one way) to that show. >>

Gee, we could've split the drive and made it there and back in half the time... image
  • Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    What did you see in the likes of graded cards? Any dealers with a table full of them, or just spread randomly, or not much at all?

Not much pre-'80 graded. I don't recall seeing tables with all graded cards. It was more on the order of mostly raw with some graded cards mixed in. Lots and lots and lots of mid-grade, raw 50's, 60's, and 70's baseball. I noticed quite a bit of '74 topps baseball in around ex-mt condition. If you like building mid-grade, pre-80 baseball sets, this is the show for you. I saw quite a bit of raw football and hockey as well. I saw one really cool table with high dollar pre-war cards. One more really cool thing I saw were two albums of autographed, 74 and 76 baseball commons for $4 each. There was a third year of autographed cards at that table as well (maybe 73, I don't remember).

I'm only collecting graded '75 mini's. I found 7 PSA 8 commons at one table for $5 each, including a very nice Ed Hermann (tough to find centered and without snow), Gary Matthews, Charlie Hough, and Mike Jorgensen. That's the first time I've stumbled on PSA graded 75 mini commons there. I also found a nice lot of raw '75 mini commons (nice Taveras, Randall, and others), but it was alot of work, and after awhile, I called it quits with sore eyes. The lighting is terrible there at the Expo, so bring a lighted magnifying glass with you if you care about really nice raw cards; wrinkles are easy to miss there with that poor lighting.
  • Options
    "- Lots of bargain 80's. 50 ct Glavine and Smoltz RC's all brands for $5 each. Was a little shocked by that. "

Wow. I thought I had done a good job of downsizing my collection to keeping only what I liked and some of the 'value' cards, even if they were just $1 cards like Glavine, Johnson, Biggio, Thomas, or Griffey RCs, etc. Apparently, I need to do some serious recalculations. 10 cents each isn't even worth flea market value. At least this will free up some space.
  • Options

Anyone attending this weekend? Attendance will be limited. Looks like some auction houses opting out too.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nathaniel1960 said:
    Anyone going to the Chantilly VA show tomorrow?

No I was going to go but forgot it was 10 years ago.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nathaniel1960 said:
    Anyone attending this weekend? Attendance will be limited. Looks like some auction houses opting out too.

Now this is more like it. If you go would you take some pictures. Would really be nice
    to see some pics from a show.
    And I couldn't resist the previous post. Sorry.
    I do like the resurrected threads. :)

• Options

Chantilly show coming up. Anyone attending? I am hopefully going Friday.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2022 11:00AM

I love it when I start reading a thread, and then at some point I realize it was from 12 years ago…. Guess the photobucket pic should have been a dead giveaway. :)

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Friday at 1pm ..... :)

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

im going in june. Tax time for me.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options

See you in Chantilly. Those dealers better have some nice basketball !!!!

• Options

@basketballcollector said:
    See you in Chantilly. Those dealers better have some nice basketball

I usually find some nice Star Company BKB at Chantilly.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Speaking of the Big Bopper and the Mercury Records release of Chantilly Lace, to this day there still some controversy as to whether it was ever issued on a 78 RPM record - not the Canadian Mercury label as that does exist... but the American label.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

Dealers better bring some good Basketball cards. YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options

Show report: very crowded. Lots of new smaller (table size) dealers with new shiny stuff. Lots of mystery grab bag shenanigans. A few YouTubers filming. Crowd seemed happier than usual if that makes sense. Card prices certainly off from the show I attended last summer. Just missed out on a great Star Basketball lot. But got a few fun items. Mid 80s BB stars in high grade are heating up. Pokémon is starting to come back to earth. 1986 Fleer BKB was very hard to find today. I thought BBCE was setting up but I didn’t see them. Junk wax is back to being junk again - lots of $10 and $15 boxes. Supplies are all back at normal prices more or less. CSG slabs are everywhere and dealers telling me they are grading TUFF.

• Options

Another Show report: Very crowded for a Friday, much more crowded than pre-pandemic days on a Friday. Seemed to be a lot of different dealers (and more of them) than pre-pandemic days. Some of the long time dealers usually at this show seemed to be gone and others were in slightly different locations than the old shows. Also, dealers seemed to have their usual same stuff, but were in a smaller physical space. Signs weren't as prevalent/obvious. I'm told that this will be the configuration going forward. I don't like the configuration as much, but maybe it will take getting used to. There was room for more dealer tables in an overflow room, but they may not want anymore. Because, the autograph area is in that overflow room, so the crowd won't bleed into the dealers tables. There were very few little kids at the show today. Not sure if there will be more on Saturday and/or Sunday. To his credit, I think the promoter wants this to be a card show with some autograph guests rather an an autograph show with some cards.

Lots of (what we old-timers) call "the shiny crap" in all sports. Seemed to be a fewer tables of the 10 for $1 cards, although there were still some. Lots of autograph cards, patch cards, etc,...Very little vintage in all sports. Very little memorabilia in all sports. Only saw a few auction houses setup.

• Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

How was 80s unopened baseball? Any price points that you noticed?

Thanks,
    John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options

Not a lot of it there. 1985 Donruss BBCE FASC $400.

• Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2022 10:07AM

The autograph area of the show, on Saturday when I was there, was an absolute disaster. Very poorly managed - broken public address system for a few hours led to very poor communication of what was going on when. They had a white board with data published for the crowd, but stopped maintaining it about 1:30 PM or so. They didn't have any control over the entrance to the autograph area and were constantly trying to move people back out of an area that they had taped off on the floor. They sold way too many tickets for some of the guests. For example, we had tickets 31, 32 and 33 for a specific signer and we watched as at least 100 people that went in front of us with VIP tickets ($129 up charge to go to the front of any autograph line). Therefore, the number on our ticket was essentially meaningless in determining when we'd get through the line - poor considering we paid to get into the show and no choice but stand there and wait and wait for hours... so much for going to the actual card show! All in all, we arrived in the autograph area at 11:50 AM for a guest that was to begin signing at 12:00. We got our autograph at 3:05 PM only after one of the security personnel "let us in early" because we had been standing there at the front corner of the entrance area for so long.

Very disappointing experience and I won't be back for another autograph there until they straighten this mess out.

Steve

• Options

Let’s see how down the market is this weekend. Will be there Friday for sure.

• Options

Quick show report.

Well attended for a Friday. Seemed like lots of deals happening. Most patrons in a good mood - still a lot of surly dealers.

Base cards are available for pretty cheap. Bought a 3200 count box of chrome and prisms base All sports 2018-2022 with tons of refractors. stars and RCs for $60 just to have something to go through with the kids. One dealer had a table full of those boxes.

Vintage prices certainly down from 2021 but still 50% over eBay. Lost dealers agreeing to take about 20 percent off asking price. Lots of CSG, HGA, GAI.

CSG prices about 75 present of PSA.

Show was better logistically as well - easy in and out.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report. Any action on unopened wax?

• Options

Only saw one table with some graded vintage packs - PSA slabbed early 70s FB and BB. Seemed like fewer tables with wax overall. Almost no junk wax either. 1990 Fleer BKB was prevalent at around $120/box.

Majority of tables limited to just showcases with graded cards and not much else. Very few 3200 boxes to rummage through.

The usual suspects were all there. Thanks

• Options

I typically go to this show 2 to 3 times a year. This may have been one of my faves. Sometimes I just walk out with nothing purchased but still enjoy it. But this time found a lot of stuff I really liked. Had a lot of cool convos. Nice mix of old and new. Felt like more hockey than usual and for this weekend that really worked. Loved getting these Caulfields and like stocking up on the Mercers. Kaprizov is my favorite player so loved finding this on the cheap. Was pleasantly surprised to see some 75 football in nice shape. Never had a 75 Tom so love having this. Never had an 82 Fleer Cal either so dig it. Been trying to find this Evolving Skies Glaceon in nice shape for a while.
    Got a Vince Young auto at what I felt was a reasonable price. Seems like inflation is hitting the autograph world somehow so a lot of those are less appealing to me. The only thing that bothered me was my $3 pack of Saturday Night Fever. The last card was a gorgeous Travolta scene with a disco ball but after 45 years the gum was absolutely fused with it.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Stabler and Plunketts are sweet! Beautiful

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the updates everyone.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

Chantilly CSA show roll call.

I will be there Friday. May do an SGC sub.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

i will be there in june. tax time for me.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2024 6:30AM

@Nathaniel1960 said:

I hadn't planned on going but I am totally interested now. Thank you!

I always worry about shipping cards, especially the ones worth 1K or more, so a drop off would be awesome!

Nathaniel, I was on the show website https://csashows.com/ and it mentioned SGC but not the details. Do you have more details? Thanks, BC

FROM SGC website: <$1,500 $15 <$3,500 $85

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    jasp7735jasp7735 Posts: 26 ✭✭

Flying out from hartford in the morning to go.

• Options

@Cakes said:

@Nathaniel1960 said:

I hadn't planned on going but I am totally interested now. Thank you!

I always worry about shipping cards, especially the ones worth 1K or more, so a drop off would be awesome!

Nathaniel, I was on the show website https://csashows.com/ and it mentioned SGC but not the details. Do you have more details? Thanks, BC

FROM SGC website: <$1,500 $15 <$3,500 $85

I have done SGC drop off service last 2 shows. It’s pretty much $15 for regular size cards $1500 declared value. They also beat their posted turnaround time.