Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1952 Topps Mickey Mantle PSA 10

If one of the 3 PSA 10 1952 Topps Mickey Mantles were ever to hit the auction block do you think it would sell for more then a Million Dollars?? or maybe even more then the T206 Wagner?

Comments

• Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>If one of the 3 PSA 10 1952 Topps Mickey Mantles were ever to hit the auction block do you think it would sell for more then a Million Dollars?? or maybe even more then the T206 Wagner? >>

I don't know if it would sell for more THAN $1,00,000 I know your grammar stinks.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    Would have been an even better response if you had typed in $1,000,000 correctly, CNote image I know what you mean though. Seems like nobody knows when to use then or than, or where to put an apostrophe, these days.

As for the OP's question, I would guess between $500,000 and $750,000.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm keeping my PSA 10 1952 Mantle for sentimental value.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it would then I think one would be up for sale right now.
    So no
  • Options
    PSA 9 sold for 282k and the card had very bad centering for a 9 infact it was tilted bad. i think it was the PSA 9 John branca collection. it was nasty looking. the card looked like it belonged in a PSA 7 holder at best
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Joe Orlando asked this question at the PSA luncheon this year and the overwhelming response from those in the room was that it would indeed sell for $1,000,000+.
  • Options
    One of the owners of the PSA 10 Mantles and most likely the nicest one of the 3 has told me he has been offered well above $1M and he turned it down. So I do believe it would do that in an auction when it does become available. Surpassing the value of the Gretzky Wagner is never going to happen.
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    If it would then I think one would be up for sale right now.
    So no

A current owner has already been offered a million for one but why would a wealthy collector sell something they don't want to sell just because the money sounds good to you. Do you think the sale of the card will make him a millionaire? Nines don't come up for sale often and if the Branca card was better centered there would have been more bids and the card would have gone for over 400,000 at that time. A solid 9 would go for over 500,000 today but it doesn't mean it will motivate the owners to sell.
  • Options

<< <i>Joe Orlando asked this question at the PSA luncheon this year and the overwhelming response from those in the room was that it would indeed sell for $1,000,000+. >>

Doesn't anybody find this scenario odd? The president of the company that has the means to assign an arbitrary grade to a card to artificially inflate its value, is wondering if a '10' would sell for that much?

Everyone is acting as if that Mantle card is rare just because some joe stamped a 10 on a label and put it in a cheap plastic slab.

Are you sure about that five minutes!?
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Everyone?

I'm not.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭

<< <i>Doesn't anybody find this scenario odd? The president of the company that has the means to assign an arbitrary grade to a card to artificially inflate its value, is wondering if a '10' would sell for that much? >>

You really needed to be in the room to understand the context of the question. Joe was discussing how the hobby had changed, and the affect that grading and authentication of memorabilia has had on the hobby.
  • Options
    It only takes 2 bidders willing to pay 7 figures for it to exceed the million mark so yes it's very possible.

Does Dmitri Young own one of the 10's or does he ONLY have a 9?
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    I would be more surprised if it sold for under a million.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It only takes 2 bidders willing to pay 7 figures for it to exceed the million mark so yes it's very possible.

Does Dmitri Young own one of the 10's or does he ONLY have a 9? >>

I thought Dmitri had the 1951 Bowman Mantle in 10
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭✭
    In regards to PSA assigning grades and mentioning prices---It's beyond odd; especially when there is basically no factual info at all in SMR. The market itself prices cards. I could go on and on about this potential conflict of interest.

And yes the 52 Mantle would sell for a mil +
  • Options
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>HAHA. If your going to put somebody down for there spelling, at least use a period between "....1,00,000 (PERIOD) I know your grammar stinks". And now that I think about it, you can add a comma between "...know (comma) your..."

So it should read, "I don't know if it would sell for more than $1,000,000. I know, your grammar stinks." >>

• Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923

<< <i>

<< <i>It only takes 2 bidders willing to pay 7 figures for it to exceed the million mark so yes it's very possible.

Does Dmitri Young own one of the 10's or does he ONLY have a 9? >>

I thought Dmitri had the 1951 Bowman Mantle in 10 >>

I don't think Dmitri owns the card. Here is a...

Link

...to a set that has the 51 Bowman Mantle PSA 10 listed...
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Joe Orlando asked this question at the PSA luncheon this year and the overwhelming response from those in the room was that it would indeed sell for $1,000,000+. >>

Doesn't anybody find this scenario odd? The president of the company that has the means to assign an arbitrary grade to a card to artificially inflate its value, is wondering if a '10' would sell for that much?

Everyone is acting as if that Mantle card is rare just because some joe stamped a 10 on a label and put it in a cheap plastic slab. >>

Really?
    A grade is not arbitrary. Arbitrary implies randomness. Grades are assigned based on expert opinions. They don't spin a grading wheel. Maybe it's a fine line sometimes, between a 9 and a 10, but it can be safely said that those three PSA 10s are the nicest authentic copies in existence. Those with the means to do so will always compete for the best of anything, including Mickey Mantle's best card. So the value is not artificially inflated, but a result of competition for the very best copy of a very popular item. And no one at the company (Orlando included) has incentive to intentionally apply a PSA 10 to an undeserving card (which is sort of what you're implying), thereby diminishing the value of their service.
  • Options
    CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    Wasn't Fogel in a video not long ago saying that he had been offered two million for his 10?

If I remember correctly, the video was of him showing his collecting room and certain pieces that he has.
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would think that if a 1952 Topps PSA 10 of Mickey Mantle were to come up for auction it would have a very good chance of selling for over $1,000,000 dollars.

I don't think it will ever pass the sale price of the T206 Wagner PSA 8 card.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>HAHA. If your going to put somebody down for there spelling, at least use a period between "....1,00,000 (PERIOD) I know your grammar stinks". And now that I think about it, you can add a comma between "...know (comma) your..."

So it should read, "I don't know if it would sell for more than $1,000,000. I know, your grammar stinks." >>

image >>

Guilty.
  • Options
    jamesryanbelljamesryanbell Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone have a picture of any of the PSA 10 '52 Topps Mantles?

I'd just like to see one. haha.
    -- Ryan Bell
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923

<< <i>Does anyone have a picture of any of the PSA 10 '52 Topps Mantles?

I'd just like to see one. haha. >>

Not mine but here is a pic of one...

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Everyone is acting as if that Mantle card is rare just because some joe stamped a 10 on a label and put it in a cheap plastic slab. >>

Not everyone, just the folks who want to buy the card.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Got these pics from HERE.

• Options
    I also put those together and made it my background:

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Wow. How do these vintage PSA 10 survive the years in that condition?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    jgrigalijgrigali Posts: 364 ✭✭
    anyone know were we can see that fogel video?
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I initially was going to say 500-750k, that would be 3x the price of a 10 that was sold in '06. I guess a mill wouldn't be that far fetched, even three of a card is 2 examples more than the Wagner in 8
  • Options

<< <i>Wow. How do these vintage PSA 10 survive the years in that condition? >>

In my opinion it was likely a stamp collector who placed the card in a protective "glassine" type envelope which were commonly used to store mint postage stamps, and he stored it along with his mint stamps in a protective manner.

Interesting that many if not most mint stamps from the 50's are hardly worth face value, whereby baseball cards in mint condition are worth a small fortune and sometimes a large fortune.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    could have been from a pack, i know the Jackcie Robinson 10 was from one of the finds
  • Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I also put those together and made it my background:

image >>

How'd you do that? I'd like a copy so I could do it!! PM me, please!
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Mantle PSA 10 will not only sell for well past 1 million it may reach 5 million. It may sound crazy but as the dollar loses value hard assets are holding their own relative to our purchasing power and invest dollars are going into physical items.

There are three cards in PSA 10 Gem Mint but as a prior message board poster stated price does not always intice sellers. If you are stupid rich, you love the fact that you own one of three of the most expensive modern day sports cards that exist. You are not a seller just becuase of price.

I think 5 million is not out of reach. I think I saw a PSA 9 for sale in an up coming auction. I am guessing $700,000 or more for that card.

I am not some pie in the sky optimest, I just understand human nature and a card of this magnitude is worth huge money right now.

• Options

<< <i>How'd you do that? I'd like a copy so I could do it!! PM me, please! >>

Here is the full-size version. I'm running a 1600x900 resolution, so I had to add the black sides to stop the cards from distorting. Probably could have accomplished that by simply clicking center instead of stretch, but where's the fun in that? Anyway, enjoy!

• Options
    Nice Jeff!!! Sweet display! Thanks!
  • Options
    Back in the 80's, I think in Tennessee. Alan Rosen bought a collection of 1952 Topps high series. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 5000 cards. Of those 5000 cards there were 70+ Mantles. All 3 of the psa 10 Mantles come from that collection.
  • Options
    jamesryanbelljamesryanbell Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭
    Can you imagine opening those packs and finding a Mantle in that nice of shape?!~?!?!??!
    -- Ryan Bell
  • Options
    Al Rosen (Mr. Mint) purchased over 6,000 1952 Topps high series cards back in the 1980's. The find was in Boston, MA and in the collection there were 65 Mickey Mantle's. The vast majority of the high grade high numbers in existance came from this find including all 3 Mantle's. In one of Mr. Mint's books he goes in to quite a bit of detail about this find. He said he was shaking because he couldn't believe what he was seeing. He was nervous at the time thinking he may not be able to get his money back. I believe he advertised them in SCD a few different times.
    Always looking to buy old Minnesota Twins and Vikings memorabilia like Nodders, Photo Pennants, and Photo Buttons.
  • Options
    The 6014 PSA 10 Mantle, I think is the only one of the 3 I've seen scanned.

I wonder how much a 53 Topps PSA 10 Mantle would sell for.
  • Options

Someone sent me a link to this thread.

I guess in 2010 my 5 million estimate wasn’t high enough.

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. My take away.

There a lot of guys, with a lot of posts that I’ve never seen post in the last few years since I’ve been here. And a lot of banned members as well.

@Dpeck100 Nice call. Gave you a much over due “like”. Just makes you wonder what other cards will sell for waaaaay more than anyone (but you perhaps) would guess in about ten years.

Kevin

Kevin

• Options

The time is right for someone to add this remarkable collectible to their estate.

I had an opportunity to view a side by side comparison of Evan’s stunning 9 vs. arguably the best 10 and to the naked eye no one can tell the difference and to the trained eye a few white dots are the difference.

There is no bubble in apex cards like this. You are at the top of the food chain and it is just different.

• Options

@Dpeck100 said:
    The time is right for someone to add this remarkable collectible to their estate.

I had an opportunity to view a side by side comparison of Evan’s stunning 9 vs. arguably the best 10 and to the naked eye no one can tell the difference and to the trained eye a few white dots are the difference.

There is no bubble in apex cards like this. You are at the top of the food chain and it is just different.

<<< There is no bubble in apex cards like this. You are at the top of the food chain and it is just different. >>>

That is an excellent point about apex cards. This is seen not only with cards, but coins, and most other collectibles such as art...even with cars.

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:

Evans card has a slight tilt seen fading towards the top, but I could just be particular since you've compared it to a 10. I have never seen a high resolution of an actual 10 and side by side as you said so its not possible to be for certain. I wouldn't expect Evan's card to bump so that also leads me to believe it is in the right holder.

• Options

I don’t think there is an expectation that the card will bump and quite frankly I think PSA in general needs to be very careful with bumping cards of this magnitude. They would literally be handing millions to someone and in reality taking millions away from someone else.

I think everyone who has a lot of graded cards knows there is variance in the eye appeal of cards within a certain grade.

A quick example. I have two of the three 1982 Wrestling All Stars Favulous Moolah 9’s. Both meet the technical requirements to be mint but one is closer to Gem Mint than the other. Obviously a far cry from a Mantle but the obvious point is Evan’s card in my view is in the same situation. Tremendous eye appeal and no one is questioning why it is graded Mint.

Anyone who follows the mainstream news heard about a painting in the last six months that went for just over 450 million. There is huge money out there that want to own the top pieces. This is easily one of the best baseball cards that exist.

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:
    Someone sent me a link to this thread.

I guess in 2010 my 5 million estimate wasn’t high enough.

Interesting that it looks like only two active posters left from this thread.