Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New flee market pick up

Was at a flee market searching for silver and coins...spotted some clad dime sets and some proof dimes but didnt see anything priced right... turned around and was looking at a case stuffed with little trinkets and bags of junk jewelry. Stuffed in the back I see a bag of buttons and immediately recognize the design on the buttons. I got a clerk to unlock the case and looked at the price... $15 for 4 mutilated, polished, but legitimate 1926 S Oregon commemorative halfs made into buttons. I still bought them cause the silver price was good, but it is a very said and costly mistake someone made.

Comments

  • Options
    Neat item and good eye to catch them.

    Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 13,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image

    "Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working" Pablo Picasso

  • Options
    I think you got a great deal image
    Too bad someone messed with them!!
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

    Negative BST Transactions:
  • Options
    I figure with these and my peace dollar belt buckle I could make a numismatic cowboy belt
  • Options


    << <i>I figure with these and my peace dollar belt buckle I could make a numismatic cowboy belt >>



    Sounds goodimage
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

    Negative BST Transactions:
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe at one time there was a company making commem copies to incorporate into belts and other leather goods. Are you sure these are real commems?
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    Yes...you can see how the top was polished into the reeding on the edge. Plus the screw part has visible welding onto what was tested as silver.
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a couple of those. They are very light and not real. Sorry.
  • Options
    icsoccericsoccer Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    If real, re-enactors will pay more than silver price. I know a couple who buy these to sew into their clothes for the weekends they re-enact the 'old west'.
    Nice catch...some days you buy what you find, not what you "went for"...usually producing good results!
    Successful BST transactions to date: Coindeuce, Cohodk, dantheman984, STONE, LeeG, jy8s, jkal, SeaEagleCoins, Hyperion, silverman68,Meltdown,RichieURich,savoyspecial,Barndog
  • Options
    ShortgapbobShortgapbob Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭
    If these are from the same group that I saw at the ANA, then they are unfortunately not genuine Oregons.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

    For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

    The Reeded Edge
  • Options
    TevaTeva Posts: 830 ✭


    << <i>I figure with these and my peace dollar belt buckle I could make a numismatic cowboy belt >>

    AKA Cowboy blingimage
    Give the laziest man the toughest job and he will find the easiest way to get it done.
  • Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen Walkers (not real) done this same way
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭
    These are not genuine coins, but costume jewelry items which contain no silver. They are made in China and are sold in Western Wear stores for $5.95 but the wholesale price is under a dollar.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    Well at least they will look good with the peace dollar belt....Numismatic cowboy YEEEEHHAAAAW
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 34,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good deal on that but am sorry to see them that way

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file