Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Do these flips look ok to you??

High value cards with low feedback.

Ryan RC PSA-9

Comments

• OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    wouldnt go near it
  • No way, and the card looks worse than the flip.
  • jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    zoom unavailable
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

Some of his PSA slabs appear tampered.

His junk slabs look OK.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • I would steer clear of anyone who has purchased this:

59 Mantle Reprint

Also, he has not sold anything for over $30, and now all of the sudden he has a bunch of high dollar cards?

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does PSA patrol these boards and find cards like that and investigate? It would seem to me that they should have a team of internet surfers that bring what appear to be fake PSA slabs to their attention and in an effort to protect the brand strongly investigate anything that looks this fishy.

I am not an expert on the exact design of PSA holders but this one does look suspect. I have a large number of graded cards and they have a differnt slab then these. The tough part is PSA has changed slabs many times. If I had to guess with the data you guys provided about prior sale values from this seller it is not the real deal.

Hopefully who ever patrols these boards sees this thread and checks out the auction.

• This same cert # was sold by Memory Lane on 4/5/09. The image from that auction is different than the ebay auction in that the 2nd line of the label reads "Mets Rookies" vs the ebay label which reads "Mets Rookie Stars". Both are pre-half point grade labels. Previously, on 6/13/08 that cert sold on ebay to cbailey758.

Previously, this same cert # sold on ebay on 7/5/07

Here's current ebay listing:

You make the call which one, if any, is real.
    Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all "right-thinking" people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as “bad luck.”
    This is an update to my post. His most expensive card is an awful Hank Aaron Rookie with awful centering and the dreaded grade from AGS of a 8 NM-MT otherwise known as Authentic Grading Service Inc. Sorry this dude is pimping fake stuff.

Stay away and alert someone!!
    The space in the label where the names are is the dead give away.
  • Looks like a craigs list special from the hernandez gang
  • natetrooknatetrook Posts: 609 ✭✭✭
    All 3 of those cards look different.
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm much more concerned about the other 2 PSA 9 Ryans than the obvious fake. The one that sold on 12/5/07 appears legit, but the one with the same cert # that sold on 8/13/08 and then again on 4/5/09 definitely appears to be a trim job in a PSA holder. It's not the same card re-slabbed. The print marks are different. Not good at all, and unfortunately far from the first time I've seen this duplicate cert # scenario on a high $ card.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • I am surprised PSA dose not do anything to protect there holders better. I think they should have a photo image of the card when you do a cert verifcation on there website. Also something needs to be done so that the holders cant be opened and resealed.
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm much more concerned about the other 2 PSA 9 Ryans than the obvious fake. The one that sold on 12/5/07 appears legit, but the one with the same cert # that sold on 8/13/08 and then again on 4/5/09 definitely appears to be a trim job in a PSA holder. It's not the same card re-slabbed. The print marks are different. Not good at all, and unfortunately far from the first time I've seen this duplicate cert # scenario on a high $ card. >>

I would reverse that thought. The font on "PSA" and the squared interior red border on the top scan is more consistent with flips, both old and new, of cards I own. Also, the left alignment and the cluttered look of the description on the middle scan would concern me.

• << <i>

<< <i>I'm much more concerned about the other 2 PSA 9 Ryans than the obvious fake. The one that sold on 12/5/07 appears legit, but the one with the same cert # that sold on 8/13/08 and then again on 4/5/09 definitely appears to be a trim job in a PSA holder. It's not the same card re-slabbed. The print marks are different. Not good at all, and unfortunately far from the first time I've seen this duplicate cert # scenario on a high $ card. >>

I would reverse that thought. The font on "PSA" and the squared interior red border on the top scan is more consistent with flips, both old and new, of cards I own. Also, the left alignment and the cluttered look of the description on the middle scan would concern me. >>

I agree.

The 1st one is the legit one. The other 2 are bogus. If you go the cert verification and enter the cert number, it shows as "Mets Rookies" just like the 1st scan.

ITEM INFORMATION
    Cert Verification #: 02103800
    Year: 1968
    Brand: TOPPS
    Card Number: 177
    Player: METS ROOKIES
    Variety: J.KOOSMAN/N.RYAN
    Grade: MINT 9

If the "Player" name matches I would have to assume that is the legit one.
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭✭
    Just to clarify (in case I didn't in previous post), the middle card above with the rounded corners in the white part of the flip is the legit one. The other 2, one of which sold for $5,000+, are not.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

i'm with Tony on this one. pass the popcorn.

• << <i>Just to clarify (in case I didn't in previous post), the middle card above with the rounded corners in the white part of the flip is the legit one. The other 2, one of which sold for $5,000+, are not. >>

Don't think so. Based on the player name on the cert verification, the 1st one with the square corners is legit.

• << <i>

<< <i>Just to clarify (in case I didn't in previous post), the middle card above with the rounded corners in the white part of the flip is the legit one. The other 2, one of which sold for $5,000+, are not. >>

Don't think so. Based on the player name on the cert verification, the 1st one with the square corners is legit. >>

In looking at all the 68 Ryan PSA 9 images sold over the last several years, there is a mix between "Mets Rookies" and "Mets Rookie Stars" printed on the label. When one checks the cert verification for every card, regardless of the Player Name displayed on the label, the cert verification results always displays "Mets Rookies". I think this result is more due to how this card number is identified in their database (i.e. Spec Number) vs what was physically printed on the label. This holds true for some of the PSA 8 cards I verified as well.

Of the three cards, I'd lean toward the middle card sold on 7/5/07. IMO I don't like the provenance of the first card.
    Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all "right-thinking" people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as “bad luck.”
  • I am following the fraud posts with great interest, which is why I am reviving the Nolan Ryan thread:

Here is my two cents:

The middle Nolan Ryan is legit with the rounded corner label in my opinion. I pulled out my 1957 Topps Dee Fondy (cert 02112438) and confirmed that the label format most matches the rounded corner label in the middle pic. Another tip-off - check out the bar code - the beginning few lines of the bar code in the middle pic most resemble Dee Fondy's cert #....Perhaps forgers aren't too good at bard codes?
    Les Aiello
    AAA