Home Sports Talk
Options

Is it still possible for Cliff Lee to make HOF?

Cliff Lee's been brilliant in the post season so far. However, he is 32 years old, and his career stats so far are:

102-61 with an ERA of 3.85

The full stats are here: Link

His first few years with Cleveland were rough, and he only turned it around in 2008 when he won the Cy Young. However, is it too late for him? If he averaged 17 wins a year for the next 5 years, he would still be under 200 wins, and be at 37. At best, he's probably likely to be in the low 200 wins when he retires with an ERA in the low to mid 3s.

Comments

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think so...but he is certainly capable of winning a couple of rings in the next 5 years!!
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Andy Pettite is on the bubble and he has alot more wins.
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think so...but he is certainly capable of winning a couple of rings in the next 5 years!! >>

Especially with him going to NY next year.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Unlikely, but possible. If he goes to NY, I hope his arm falls off the first year.
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Unlikely, but possible. If he goes to NY, I hope his arm falls off the first year. >>

• Options
    I think it's still possible if he remains incredibly dominate like he has been over the past few years. If he can string 6-7 years together that look like the last few yes they'll have to put him in.

It seems there's two ways to make it into The Hall: 1- be real good/flirt with great for a long time and put up nice career stats a la Phil Niekro or Don Sutton. 2- be crazy dominate for a somewhat shorter period of time like Koufax or Pedro. The very greatest of all time manage to do both a la Maddox or Randy Johnson. Cliff Lee would obviously be shooting for the 2nd way in.
  • Options
    I like Cliff Lee, but he really should not be mentioned with the likes of either Koufax or Pedro.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Who's to say that Cliff Lee doesn't pitch until he's in his mid forties? If he was to pitch ten years (which would put him at 42) and average 15 wins a year with similar ERA and win percentage, he'd have Jim Palmer/Juan Marichal/FergieJenkins/Jim Hunter type numbers. Likely? No. But impossible? Not hardly. Lee is an exceptional pitcher.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure, if he goes to the Yankees...all Yankees players are automatically considered for HOF induction even if they only ever played in one MLB game.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Borderline at best.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I like Cliff Lee, but he really should not be mentioned with the likes of either Koufax or Pedro. >>

I couldn't have said this any better.

I had the honor to watch Pedro a few times from 98-01.

It seriously felt like he was striking out everyone that came to the plate against him. Nobody that did make any contact ever had any power on it either. I felt like I was watching some rare phenomenon that had never happened before.

Lee, although he is dominating right now while playing at the top of his game, just doesn't give me anywhere near the same feeling.

I like the guy, but please don't compare him to Pedro.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I like Cliff Lee, but he really should not be mentioned with the likes of either Koufax or Pedro. >>

I couldn't have said this any better.

I had the honor to watch Pedro a few times from 98-01.

It seriously felt like he was striking out everyone that came to the plate against him. Nobody that did make any contact ever had any power on it either. I felt like I was watching some rare phenomenon that had never happened before.

Lee, although he is dominating right now while playing at the top of his game, just doesn't give me anywhere near the same feeling.

I like the guy, but please don't compare him to Pedro. >>

Pedro's 1999 season was just rediculous and from 97-00 he was off the charts. He was an event everytime he took the ball and it is not often that you would rather see your team pitch than be up to bat.