Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

'67 Topps Baseball Experts - Need some help with values on a couple of rare error cards

I have researched the two cards depicted as follows, and I am still in a fog as to today's fair market value on these rare versions. PSA POP report shows that #417 Bob Bruce error card has 78 cards in total graded, with only six 9's and none higher. The SMR for a 9 is $200.00. VCP shows three 9's being sold as follows: $381 9/07, $158 8/09, and $233 10/09.

The Bo Belinsky error is much more scarce. PSA POP report shows that #447 Bo Belinsky error card has 25 cards in total graded, with one 10, three 9's, one 8.5, and seven 8's. The SMR for an 8 is only 60.00? VCP shows only one card, an 8 being sold for $371 in 9/07. So the Belinsky 8, being one of seven with four higher is more valuable than the Bruce 9 (one of six)?

Looking at the Master Registry the #1 Set (Capecards) is retired and it has 9's in each. The #2 (Bill Dodge) current finest has 9's in each. Now it gets interesting, as Donald Spence (#4 current finest) shows his set as having an 8 in the Bruce and a 9 in the Belinsky............but Steve Soloway's (#6 current) shows exactly the same. So Spence and Soloway both could use the Bruce 9. But what does not make sense (and I know Pop reports can be inaccurate - maybe the 8.5 is now a 9?) is how the top six sets show a total of four Belinsky 9's when the POP report shows only a total of three 9's in existence?

Anyway - ideas on values are welcomed.

Comments

• Options
    jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Hello,

Nice cards there...

My thoughts are that the pop reports are not even close. When I was working on this set in 7/8, I found a an example of both cards you list in old holders with the errors. The pop reports would only be correct since the time they started differentiating the two variations. As a result, I think values are based on who needs the card at the time of auction.

Jeff
  • Options
    Belinsky is a much tougher card but it is in many graded regular issues cards mis-labled. Lots of 67 collectors need it.
    My first suggestion would be to offer it up to Soloway for a price you are comfortable with. He may not get back to you asap, but he will get back to you.
    If that doesn't work, but a BIN with a make an offer. I bet you will get lots of offers. It is a card a lot of guys gotta have for their Master set.
    I had one in my set & they come few & far between.

The Bruce is fairly common. Timing is the main thing with that card.

My 2 cents

Great looking cards too!
    Orioles cards from 1960 to today.

Be good my brothers.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Very simple. When someone retires the set, the cert numbers do not retire. So, if you have a set with a 9 and retire the set, that 9 stays in your set forever in retirement. If you sell that 9 to me, I can now register it in my set. So, each of us shows a 9, but there is only one actual card representing the two spots. Somebody here has one of the cards from the retired set in their current set.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options

<< <i>Very simple. When someone retires the set, the cert numbers do not retire. So, if you have a set with a 9 and retire the set, that 9 stays in your set forever in retirement. If you sell that 9 to me, I can now register it in my set. So, each of us shows a 9, but there is only one actual card representing the two spots. Somebody here has one of the cards from the retired set in their current set. >>

Correct, the OP using a retired set in his equation. The same card could even be in 15-20 retired sets. They are retired....cards people use to own.

The pop report is likely right on that card. (It is the PSA 7-8's in that era that in most danger of bad pop data.)
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Okay, on the Belinsky variation -

The only PSA 10 card is in Vintage Corvette's set (see 1967 Topps Houston Astros)

The 3 PSA 9's are in the Bill Dodge, Don Spence and Steve Solloway sets.

One of them has the card from the retired set of Capecards.

• Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Im sure there are many of these sitting undiscovered in "raw" sets. I never knew of these 2 errors when I collected Topps cards 25+ years ago.