Home PSA Set Registry Forum

102 Down--1970 Topps Football Completed in PSA 8 or Better

Well not exactly vintage but hey--you collect what you like and stalled in my attempts to find vintage high grade cards I needed for my tougher sets I decided to extend my collection to 1969 and 1970 Topps Baseball, 1969 and 1970 Topps Football and 1972-73 and 73-74 Basketball. Kind of a crazy decision as its not like I did not have enough sets I was working on anyway but you have to be a little bit crazy to be in this hobby anyway.

When good friend and dealer extraordinaire Steve Novella told me he could deliver 1 high grade 1970 Topps Football set PSA 8 or better less about 15 cards I hesitated because I had a nrmt-mt set raw. I decided to buy it and submit my raw set which got me to 6 cards and shortly thereafter found the remaining 6 cards on ebay. This resulted in my 102nd vintage or semi-vintage set completed with every card PSA 8 or better and my 27th football set. Thanks Steve!

The 1970 set as far as I can tell has no real condition rarities and features the rookie card of OJ. My set ranks 3rd on the PSA Set Registry with152 PSA 8s, 33 PSA 8.5s, 77 PSA 9s and 1 PSA 10. The 8.33 Set Rating puts it behind Fly Eagles Fly which I believe is MOSH's old set and AEG Cubs and just ahead of hobby friend Doug Rivard.

I appreciate the help of all colectors and dealers in helping me complete my sets.

Jim

Comments

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Hi Jim

Congrats! Always great to hear from you.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Jim , great set.

I had that set , when I was much younger. It was one of my favorite.

Only 898 to go !!!!!------- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    well done Jim!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Congrats, Jim!!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • LJB17LJB17 Posts: 252 ✭✭
    nicely done yet again.
    Looking for 77 cloth 9s and 10s.
    54 Red Hearts
    and now 64 Stand ups
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    Jim,
    Nice job. When you submitted the raw set were you accurate with your raw grading--just wondering?

Mickey71
  • One of my favorite football sets! Congrats!
    Paul
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    WTG JIM ... soon we are going to start expecting a new completed set each month from you! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Thanks guys--appreciate the kind words.

I submitted all but 8 cards and had about 80-85% success at psa 8 or better. It was a sharp set. Probably not a good economic decision but these large sets are too much for me to do card by card.

103 to come shortly!

Best to you all.

Jim
  • Congrats Jim. Keep us posted with your updates.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big congrats Jim!!

BTW, glad you got that PSA 8 Roebuck to round out your 55 Topps set.

Sixteen more 8s for me to have a straight 8 55 Topps set, not sure I'll get there, I'm in the "very pricey" territory at this point.

Al

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Jim

Very nice set - vintage is such a relative term - I mean - 1970 was 40 yrs ago!

Is Steve N. working as a full time dealer - back in the 90s I used to talk to him alot - about the hobby and issues.

I recollect he was with Greg Manning on two different occasions. Very nice person to talk with.

BTW - IMO the 72 and 75T BB sets are kinda cool in 8 or better.
    Mike
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Mike, as someone that was stunned and dismayed at the receipt of an AARP invite in the mail last week, I am more than happy to continue to consider 1970 as semi-vintage. In fact I'm perfectly happy considering 1950 as semi vintage.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Al,

Thank you!!

I bet you need about the same last 16 that I needed. They are tough but they do show up.....but be prepared to pay close to $1,000 per card!

Mike,

Steve Novella started with Greg Manning back in the late 1980s I would guess. He started his own business in the early 1990s and had been up in Maine the last 10-plus years. He recently bought a place in Naples and plans on moving there once he sells his Maine house.

In my opinion there is no better dealer in the hobby. He hunts for my cards I need, handles the negotiations with prospective sellers and mails them all to me once the number reaches critical mass. He also knows a lot about cards and is a good source of advice. And the biggest plus is his trustworthiness--I trust him on everything. He has a website with cards for sale. with his help I have gotten a number of tough and expensive vintage baseball sets down to just a few cards--1953 Bowman Color, 1949 Bowman, 1953 Bowman Black & White, 1953 Topps, 1934-36 Diamond Stars, 1934 Goudey and 1940 Play Ball.

Jim