Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1948-present MLB Rookie of the year set idea

I'm currently collecting the 1948-present MLB ROY set, and I was wondering if anyone else is into this fine set?

But the big questions I had is why not make it 1940 to present? It's not an impossible set to complete as it and as some of you probably know, the Chicago BBWA gave the award from 1940-1946 and there are some tough cards/players in there: 1940-Lou Boudreau, 1941-Pete Reiser, 1942-Johnny Beazley, 1943-Billy johnson, 1944-Bill Voiselle, 1945-Dave Ferriss, 1946-Eddie Waitkus

I'm just thinking that would be a fun addition to a set that always grows more modern, but would be nice to see it grow in the other direction. What does everyone else think?

Comments

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    I used to collect the ROY set, mine is #2 in the all-time listing.

When you start going earlier than 1947, you get into a fuzzy situation where players don't have cards that are recognized by Beckett as being "rookie cards". PSA uses Beckett's definitions as law, so if Beckett doesn't say it's a rookie card, it won't be elegable for the set. 3 of the guys you listed don't have any cards that are recognized as rookie cards, so you'd have a registry set of players that would be fundamentally incomplete.

But... you could still go pick up early cards of those guys and put them in a Showcase set. Call it the "Chicago BBWA Rookie of the Year" set. That'd be cool.

However... PSA's strict following of Beckett's definitions was one of the things that motovated me to get rid of my ROY registry set and re-build it on my own, using more hobby oriented definitions. Plus I wanted to have auto'ed cards in my set. It's also a pain to store hundreds of slabbed cards, especially when many of them are worth LESS than the $5 paid to get them slabbed. You can see my set in the link in my sig. The set lives in a nice, compact binder that I can pull from my shelf and browse with ease. image
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    I have certainly drooled over your set many a time. Those are kind of the conclusions I came to as well, and I am going to try to compile some kind of homage to that early part of the ROY award, thanks for the idea.

As far as display, I have mine set up on a piece of crown molding around my stairwell leading down into my basement area, it looks pretty cool and there is plenty of room left for the entire set to be up there, so It's kind of cool to see the blank spaces where I need to fill in.

Anyways, still have that 86 Canseco for sale for 10 bucks? If so I'll take it!