Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

I'm losing interest. Is it just me?

I don't know if this is midlife crisis, or the nearness of the income tax deadline, or just a change in life... but I'm losing interest in coins. I don't even rush to read Coin World or Coinage anymore, I no longer stay up till all hours scanning ebay auctions -- not even for the beloved proof Washingtons that I coveted for years. I have even stopped bidding on high grade mint state Roosevelts. Is it just me who is struck with this numismatic malaise (partially caused by spiked prices, lack of material on the market, and a general coin depression that I seem to see at local shops and shows) or is this feeling spreading? Yikes. I dont even make weekly trips to my safe deposit box anymore to view my Lincoln collection in the Whitman albums I put together 40+ years ago. cheers, alan mendelson

Comments

• Options
    I go in spurts, sometimes I don't pay attention for 2-3 years at a time. It's interesting to see how things change when I get back with it.

It's also nice to look at the coins after a few years away.
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    I usually feel like that after going to a major show looking for nice coins and striking out. Tax time, bills, an illness in the family, and all kinds of other strains make collecting look insignificant. When I lose interest in coins themselves I read history and the interest comes back.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't feel bad. I've been goin' through the same thing a little myself, lately. The "Dark Side" has been tugging at me, too. For a brief moment today (and one or two yesterday) I was tempted to dump my Registry set, just 4% shy of completion, and go back to my "roots" in world coins. I didn't, though. Not yet. image

Take two half dimes with a glass of water and call the doctor in the morning. Put all things numismatic out of your mind for a week or three. You'll feel much better, and when you do pick up the interest again, you'll be "fresher". image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    L.A.

Why not try a new series. Sometimes that rekindles the spark. I spent two years putting together a great mint state Washington set. By the time I was finished, I was kind of bored with the whole series. So, I sold it and moved into new things.

Curious though, I am still most interested in IKEs which were the first certified set I put together.

If you want some suggestions why not try proof Lincolns 1936-1958. You seem to know about proofs of that era. Except for the 36 and maybe the 37 a top set doesn't have to be that expensive, and there aren't a zillion sets registered yet. Besides that they really look kind of nice.

Just an idea.

Cheers

Greg S.
  • Options
    Shiro..

History???

Like reading about the Kennedy assasination and wishing you had a 1963-D penny?image
  • Options
    FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    MoneyLA.. you need to take a break! Send me all your coins. Out of sight, out of mind. image
    Matt
  • Options
    gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    I find this very interesting. Is it perhaps that you were more interested in the Registry Set competition and not the coins themselves? Maybe you, like a lot of others, just wanted to get ahead of your fellow collectors and have you name up in lights and the coins were just the vehicle to do that?

I'm not saying that you don't enjoy collecting coins, but just that maybe the competition was your driving force and not the coins themselves.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think we get interested in things for an array of reasons, some of which we're aware, some of which we're not. I just presume your becoming less interested in coins simply means that the reasons you got involved in the first place have become resolved, or no longer exist, at least for the moment.
  • Options
    Very well spoken, dpoole!image
    Dennis

My Dimes

<< If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right the first time! >>
  • Options
    For me, this happens week in and week out. I'm 24 and have many other things that I am interested in and am involved in, it's hard for me to talk myself into spending so much money on coins that I have done the past 2-3 years. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy collecting and continue to buy, just not as frequently. I have really been surprised at some of the people I have met through coin collecting though, many of you from the boards here, and will always want to keep friendship with those people regardless if I ever buy another coin.
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you have a lot of other distractions going on in your life, coins sometimes have to take a back seat (hopefully, just temporary).

Also, I agree with Greg: try another series. I'd find it hard to get very excited about Roosevelts, but to each his own. I prefer coins that are older than I am, and sometimes I feel pretty old.image

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    Flash has the right idea, just send him ALL your coins and he'll grade them for a small fee since he's the new "Grading zcar". I'm sure his prices are a lot cheaper than the big boys (PCGS,NGC etc).image
    Friends are Gods way of apologizing for your relatives.
  • Options
    FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    LOL But if you want to get your coins back, I'll have to charge you extra! image

Matt
    Matt
  • Options
    When you have a lot of other distractions going on in your life, coins sometimes have to take a back seat (hopefully, just temporary).

sometimes they are the distraction..

People change.

dan
    image It's Her's
  • Options
    StratStrat Posts: 612 ✭✭✭
    Alan,

I'm feeling a bit like this too. Seems like everytime a nice coin for my set appears, everyone and his brother is all over it too, so it gets expensive. It's hard to remain patient, but patience is important to collecting. Try taking a break, if you started collecting 40 years ago, chances are very good that you'll come back to it! Another thought, have you tried putting together a certified type set or a set of older coins? By older, I mean earlier than Washingtons and Roosevelts.