Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Has anyone ever wondered why the Sheldon Series Registry is not divided up by Type in the PCGS Regis

A couple of weeks ago it occurred to me that it might be fun (and expensive!) to build a complete set of Classic Head cents for the PCGS registry. So I went looking to see how the set was comprised, and lo and behold, any set pre-1814 copper is comprised of all dates and designs from 1793 - 1814! So, out of curiosity, I sent Cosetta an email asking about the rationale. Apparantly the Set Registry feels that all 1793 to 1814 cents ARE the same series, and that's just that. My response went something like this:

<< <i>Flowing Hair Series designs include the Chain Cent (1793), the Wreath Cent (also 1793), and the Liberty Cap (1793 - 1796). Then you have the Draped Bust Series (1796 - 1807), and finally the Classic Head Series (1808 - 1814). These are all robust and distinct series in their own right, with greatly differing designs. In fact, they are much more distinctive than the subtle differences between the 1816-1839 (Coronet Head) and the 1839 - 1857 (Braided Hair) designs, yet they get their own separate registry? I thought the point of the set registry was to give collectors the chance to compete within a series with each other.

Frankly, the constraints set up by the current design would force anyone wanting to compete by variety (Flowing Hair, Draped Bust, Classic Head) into a direction that might not mesh well with their own tastes and desires.

Perhaps my view is not that of the collecting public. I am rather new to this game of collecting early copper. I would be curious to find out how other collectors feel about this. >>

Well, anyone? Am I all alone here?

Comments

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That does seem rather strange
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just got an email from Cosetta:

We have spoken to the experts. We will be adding three specialty sets. They are as follows;

1793-1796

1796-1807

1808-1814

Please refer to the PCGS Set Registry News page for newly added set composites. http://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/news.html

As always, we thank you for your participation in the Registry program.

Thank you,

Cosetta Robbins

Assistant Set Registry Manager

Collectors Universe Inc.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I think this type of willingness to work with collectors is one of the best aspects of what PCGS has to offer!
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just got an email from Cosetta:

We have spoken to the experts. We will be adding three specialty sets. They are as follows;

1793-1796

1796-1807

1808-1814

Please refer to the PCGS Set Registry News page for newly added set composites. http://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/news.html

As always, we thank you for your participation in the Registry program.

Thank you,

Cosetta Robbins

Assistant Set Registry Manager

Collectors Universe Inc.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I think this type of willingness to work with collectors is one of the best aspects of what PCGS has to offer! >>

see, customer service like this might make me pursue the Classic Head Large Cent set in PCGS holders...darn! image
  • Options
    RMP, can you send that same e mail for 1/2C please. They seem to listen to you.

thanks
    "spot on my UHR, nevermind, I wiped it off"
  • Options
    Bazinga!

Couldn't resist--fans of the TV show "The Big Bang Theory" will recognize the reference to a character named Sheldon.

Congrats on getting a positive response so quickly. With most agencies and organizations it's either a form letter or months of dialogue. With PCGS it was a quick "OK." Did you click a Staples "Easy" button?
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.